Bad Behaviour in School - DSS7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-12-2012, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm at a loss of what to do about my DSS who turns 7 next week.  (Obviously it's his parents' choice what to "do" with him, but I'm just looking for advice to pass on.)  He's quite bright, an excellent reader and very active (loves sports).

In Kindergarten he was getting the odd "time out" - for not listening/paying attention.  He failed gym for not sharing and being a poor loser.

In Grade 1 (last year) he was getting time out's EVERYDAY and the parents and teacher had many meetings to try to encourage good behaviour and discourage bad behaviour.  Again, most incidences involved not listening to instructions, goofing around, disrespecting the teacher by talking over her, etc...  Again, he did not do well in gym for being a poor loser.  We had a couple problems with the school bus driver as well.  These included: trying to get off at the wrong stop (he knew it wasn't our driveway), not sitting down, and not listening.

Grade 2 [2 weeks in] <sigh> Last week was almost kicked off the bus for refusing to sit.  Claimed he didn't want to.  This week, was sent home early from school for unacceptable bad behaviour (his mom had to come get him).  This behaviour included all of the same.  When he was in the principal's office (when mom was being called) he refused to speak with her on the phone, instead laying on the floor.  When the principal started telling his mom why she had to come get him, DSS started pushing the buttons on the principal's phone.

(If you're still reading - THANK YOU - I'm doing my best to keep this short.)  In general, I don't have problems when he's with me - but I'm quite firm and there's no room for disrespect.  However - he's not very nice to the animals - kicks the dogs when they walk by, hits the chickens on the head with a bucket and pokes the cat.  But sometimes he's really good with them, especially the cat who seems oblivious to abuse and still likes him.

I'm just wondering [pleading] what would you guys be doing?  His parents have been split for 2 years and the living arrangement has been one week with mom, one week with dad for over a year. 

Thank you.

hang.gif knit.gif chicken3.gif treehugger.gif Kristin, partner to eat.gif Ron who came with DSS7 kid.gif

heartbeat.gifOur first arrived March 2013!! nocirc.gif

#2 of 4 Old 09-12-2012, 12:32 PM

He needs to go to an excellent child psychologist or similar like counselor, social worker, etc. Unless he has some giant psychological issues my guess is that he hurts the animals because he is mad/frustrated and doesn't have an appropriate outlet for his negative feelings. I would also guess that is why he is doing the other acting out but it may be a combo of that and he is bright, possibly gifted? I was thinking maybe gifted bc he may extremely self critical (gym class), possibly bored in class, trying to trick/test adults.

Parents need an unbiased figure to help them decide the best steps to intervene now before he really gets out of control.

#3 of 4 Old 09-12-2012, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your quick response.

I believe counseling is upcoming, called Play Therapy.

I don't think he's necessarily gifted, but perhaps the classroom style doesn't fit his learning style.  And I agree that he's overly self-critical.

Again, thanks for the response.  It's right along what I was thinking, but since neither parent is thinking it, I was starting to doubt myself.

hang.gif knit.gif chicken3.gif treehugger.gif Kristin, partner to eat.gif Ron who came with DSS7 kid.gif

heartbeat.gifOur first arrived March 2013!! nocirc.gif

#4 of 4 Old 09-12-2012, 01:53 PM

Play therapy is perfect for his age. I hope it helps him.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page