What age is "Preteen" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 09-22-2012, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son is turning 9 in a few weeks - and I still think of him as a child, but I read somewhere that ages 9-12 is preteen.  So I went on the Pre-teen/Teen board here and cannot relate with any of it.  I kinda think they should separate the preteen and teen board.

#2 of 19 Old 09-22-2012, 11:28 AM

I consider preteen to be between 10-12.  

And, I agree... pre-teen and teens are a whole different world.  

#3 of 19 Old 09-22-2012, 04:47 PM

I think of pre-teen to be 11&12, maybe 10. Culturally, I have heard of tweenage beginning at 8 or 9. 

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#4 of 19 Old 09-23-2012, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

dd is 10. i consider her a tween and i find actually a lot of similarities with the teen board. i didnt at 9 so much.

i think there's quite a bit of difference between girl tween issues and boy tween issues at that age. i see it in dd's class. the boys are not so 'teenish' as the girls are. 

so i think around 9 or 10 you start to see the difference between the boys and girls.  

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#5 of 19 Old 09-23-2012, 06:09 PM

I dont have a kiddo that old, but I have three younger sisters and one sister in law. I consider "pre teen" to be 9-12. But, I supposed it depends on each different girl, what their peers are like, and what is going on with their body.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#6 of 19 Old 09-23-2012, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I think about 8-12 but it also depends on the child
Around the time my dd turned 8 I started gravitating to the preteen/teen board because some of the issues were relevant and the things people wrote helped me with my dd.
#7 of 19 Old 09-23-2012, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

My DS just turned 12 and is just starting to show some 'pre teen' issues. Boys and girls are totally different on this issue.  Most girls have 'drama', boys don't.  Drama creates 'tween' things.  Don't get me wrong, my kid is usually happy with his lego's and swim team (and library card) most days but there is a bit of attitude and eye rolling starting to come forward.

I work with kids and there is a vast difference starting about 3rd grade. Girls can be 'tweens' around 8 or 9, boys can make it Jr High with no 'tween' in them.whistling.gif

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#8 of 19 Old 09-25-2012, 06:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

My DS just turned 12 and is just starting to show some 'pre teen' issues. Boys and girls are totally different on this issue.  Most girls have 'drama', boys don't.  Drama creates 'tween' things.  Don't get me wrong, my kid is usually happy with his lego's and swim team (and library card) most days but there is a bit of attitude and eye rolling starting to come forward.

I work with kids and there is a vast difference starting about 3rd grade. Girls can be 'tweens' around 8 or 9, boys can make it Jr High with no 'tween' in them.whistling.gif

My 12 year old DS doesn't have much tween in him! He seems to get through life with little drama, doing his thing, which in his case is soccer, and Minecraft.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#9 of 19 Old 10-12-2012, 05:34 PM

It depends on the child. I'd think of an 8 year old girl going through puberty as a tween, but not a boy who hadn't gone through puberty.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#10 of 19 Old 10-13-2012, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Just use whichever forum fits the issues... My ds didn't have any tween issues at 9 or even 10. But some kids do and the tween/teen forum might be a good place for advice from parents that have been there with older kids. 

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#11 of 19 Old 10-15-2012, 08:57 PM

Wow 8 or 9 is now a tween where has the time went.

Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

#12 of 19 Old 10-15-2012, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Supposedly my son is a pre teen. He's nine. However, he is a child and I refuse to call him a preteen because I consider it a made up marketing word that wants my baby to grow up way too fast.

SunRise likes this.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#13 of 19 Old 10-16-2012, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogretro View Post

I think of pre-teen to be 11&12, maybe 10. Culturally, I have heard of tweenage beginning at 8 or 9. 

This is my thinking too. My 10 year old isnt pre-teen, he just celebrated double digits thats it, no tween in him!

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#14 of 19 Old 10-16-2012, 05:45 PM

I used to think of preteen as 11 or 12. I've changed my mind. I think it's subjective, to some degree. DD1 is 9, and she's definitely a pre-teen. DS1 said it well at dinner one night, when he looked at me and mouthed "she's so teenage!".

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#15 of 19 Old 10-20-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

Phew.  I am getting really nervous about adolescence. However, my ds has always been slow to mature, so I'm betting (hoping) he stays a kid a little bit longer.

Dp, me dreads.gif  ds#1  goodvibes.gif, ds #2 jog.gif and ds#3 drool.gif

#16 of 19 Old 10-22-2012, 08:16 PM

My DD is 11 and definitely a "preteen". She's been once since like 8 or 9, I swear. She's almost teen like now at 11.5 and in middle school. *sigh*. That said, my oldest DS is 9 and I don't think of him as a preteen quite yet. Maybe boys are different, though. I feel like he's still a little boy, in many ways.

I also agree that there is a huge difference in preteen and teen, and it would be nice to have forums to represent that. But, we've asked for a "preschool" aged forum for years, as well, because toddler to childhood seems like a huge leap considering the typical discussions taking place.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#17 of 19 Old 10-22-2012, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post

I used to think of preteen as 11 or 12. I've changed my mind. I think it's subjective, to some degree. DD1 is 9, and she's definitely a pre-teen. DS1 said it well at dinner one night, when he looked at me and mouthed "she's so teenage!".

Louise Ames Bates has a book "Your 10 to 14 year old". I of course started reading the 10 year old first. nope. that was kinda sorta dd last year. the calm before the storm. at 10 all her issues are more of a 11 year old from the book. she has always though been that way. she hits the phases early. 

thankfully she has not yet started her periods. but i think its getting there so i now send her everywhere prepared. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#18 of 19 Old 10-28-2012, 03:49 PM

We're nowhere near that stage yet, but looking back, I can see myself having shifts halfway through 6th grade (so, 11.5 years) and then again at the end of 8th grade (at newly 14).  For me, those years make sense... 11-13 being tween, 14 and up being teen.  (Though at 17 I was young adult, until about 21.5... I know a lot of other 17 year olds weren't in that stage for a while.  Then I went through another phase from 21.5 to about 27.5... I'm now 29.)

I do think it's largely a marketing thing.  I know some kids are going through puberty earlier, but honestly, my son at 5.5 is just starting to be "childlike" - changing his teeth and acting more grown.  I can't imgaine that in 2.5 years he'll suddenly be a tween.  No way.  It's not like I'm in *denial* but it just doesn't seem logical or natural.  I'm not sure if homeschooling and no TV will delay him beyond his peers.  I don't want to delay him on PURPOSE (my parents definitely tried to hold me back for a while, and I did not appreciate it...) but I also don't want him to be pushed in the wrong direction prematurely because he thinks he "should" be more grown up than he is.  I can definitely see his younger DD being more "tweeny" sooner than him, but hopefully even she won't be that premature about it.

#19 of 19 Old 10-29-2012, 11:13 PM

My oldest DS is 10.5 and is just now straddling the line between childhood and pre-teen. happytears.gif

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page