Am I being a hypochondriac or is this just a new phase of development? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-01-2012, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know if I'm just bring a hypochondriac worrier or not so I need some input. My son has had a small pea size, moveable swollen gland in his neck for a few weeks. No obvious illness or anything, no history of allergies. Mentioned it to our family doc at my last doc appt and she said they're really common and to keep an eye on it. If it gets bigger or he starts not acting himself, tired etc to bring him in again. So anyway. It actually feels a little smaller since last week. But after she said to bring him in if he starts not a citing himself I started to think about the fact that he seems more content with playing quiet activities and for longer periods of time, is less willing to go and expend a lot of energy and just seems more mellow all around. He's 3 and will be 4 in December. His eating and sleeping habits have been the same. He does seem to be more emotional lately and there has been a bug going around but he doesn't seem to feel bad, just less wiling to go have active play and is more interested in quiet or calmer activities. We've been working harder on discipline and we just started giving him a multivitamin and omega 3 supplement. So a lot of things have changed. My question is, am I worrying for no real good reason or is this possibly him just calming down and becoming less of an active toddler and movin onto a new phase of development? It's been really nice actually, I just dot want to overlook any suspicious symptoms. Did anyone else's toddlers mellow out around age 4?

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#2 of 6 Old 10-01-2012, 01:17 PM

Hi!  Sounds like you have done everything I would have done...chatted with the dr and are tuned it to see if anything else changes in a major way.  I say keep doing that.  If you notice a change in sleep/eating/more irritability, take him in right away.  I know that my son has definitely become more focused in his play.  He turned 4 in June and he can now sit and play with his trains/legos/hot wheels for an hour by himself without needing anything or stopping.  He has bursts of energy, but it's not the same as when he was curious and into everything.  I hear him being much more creative and talking to himself as he's using his imagination with his toys.  Such a fun age!  Good luck.

Stacy G. York

Mother of 2 Kiddos, Wife, LCSW

www.bewhatsright.com

#3 of 6 Old 10-01-2012, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Okay so the past couple days he's had some random diarrhea and tonight he wouldn't go to bed, was crying and finally said he needed to go poop so he went and then came out, pants at his ankles crying because his legs hurt. This has happened before, complaining of leg pain after or right before he poops. Once he sat down for a bit and after I told him he could sleep in mommy and daddy's bed he was almost immediately calm and fell asleep quickly. Today he ate breakfast but never was hungry for lunch and ate dinner but then pooped and ate more after pooping. I think he went poop around 3 times today but he normally goes 2 times and its not usually diarrhea. Thoughts?

#4 of 6 Old 10-02-2012, 08:26 AM

I think if I were you and touch base with the doc and insist he be seen again, and if the doc says it's nothing ask for detailed rationale. Although--I've had a gland like that on my neck (and a hard bump in my mouth) that are both apparently nothing--with the personality change and with the poop I would check it out further. It might be totally unrelated to the bump though. I've noticed DS is always calmer right before he gets strep!

Mom to DS 5/05 and DD 9/08
#5 of 6 Old 10-09-2012, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

So I finally called the doctors office on Thursday and spoke with the nurse. He had developed a rash on his face. While all the symptoms seemed unrelated I still asked her if she thought he should come in. He also had a fever for a few days but the diarrhea has been gone for a week. The glands have gotten smaller and he seems like he feels okay. He's still not quite himself but I think that has to do with the fact that we've had lots of lazy, watching tv, playing iPod sort of days while he's been sick but that's been for over 2 weeks now so I'm thinking he has just gotten used to it!! smile.gif rash, fever and diarrhea are all gone.

#6 of 6 Old 10-09-2012, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Oh and the Nurse said that his symptoms sort of sounded like mono and said if he still feels bad Monday to bring him in. He's only gotten better since then. So yay! I honestly think that he also may just be getting calmer and hitting a new phase of life. He used to be content playing inside and doing calmer activities before he turned 3. I guess maybe his interests may be changing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page