How long without training wheels? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-07-2012, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

How long do they take without training wheels before they get their balance? I took a long time as I learned on my older brother's bike which was not my size.

Positive thoughts generate power, negative ones waste it ~ Unknown
#2 of 9 Old 10-07-2012, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ds had a balance bike and went straight to a two-wheeler (on his 5th bday) with no training wheels ever. We didn't even need to hold him up he just got on and road.

Took a couple of weeks for him to manage braking and going up hill independently.
#3 of 9 Old 10-07-2012, 10:19 PM

DD asked to have the training wheels off at age 6 and immediately rode it. I guess it took maybe 20 minutes? I waited until she said she was ready. If she hadn't been ready but wanted to try anyway, I guess I would have put the training wheels back on if she said she wanted them back on. Seems like something just clicks when they are ready and it doesn't take any time at all.

#4 of 9 Old 10-08-2012, 01:54 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

We took the training wheels and peddles of DDs "too small" bike when we got the new one and she used it as a balance bike, though not very much. She also rode her scooter to and from school, I think that helped her with balancing.

Once she asked for her training wheels to come off she was off and riding within 20 minutes, she rode a mile to the community centre the following day.

I think it helps to have a bike which is almost too small, so they can put their feet down easily. They are one of the few things I try to avoid getting "to grow into". It helps that used ones are easy to get hold of here so we've never bought a new one.

#5 of 9 Old 10-08-2012, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingHyena View Post

I think it helps to have a bike which is almost too small, so they can put their feet down easily. They are one of the few things I try to avoid getting "to grow into". It helps that used ones are easy to get hold of here so we've never bought a new one.

This is so important with learning to ride a bike.  I learned with bikes way too big for me.  My oldest rode her 16"training-wheeler (too big!), wanted to try using a balance bike like her little sister, so she began using a 12" bike with the pedals off and mastered that before putting the pedals back on.  We raised the seat a few days later, then a few months later she was back on her 16" without the training wheels (finally the right size).

If the bike is the right size, and they don't easily get the hang of riding without the training wheels, try removing the pedals.  They learn to use their feet, (which were out of the equation for me when I learned) and this helps them with sharp or unexpected turns.  My girls (at nearly-8 and 6) are riding their bikes better now than I ever did at any age (they've both been riding for about 1.5yrs.)

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#6 of 9 Old 10-08-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingHyena View Post

We took the training wheels and peddles of DDs "too small" bike when we got the new one and she used it as a balance bike, though not very much. She also rode her scooter to and from school, I think that helped her with balancing.

Agree. We had too small bikes for both kids, removed pedals and let them learn how to balance, then added pedals back and they rode just fine. No running after them or anything. Both before their 4th bdays.

#7 of 9 Old 10-08-2012, 05:30 PM

My son learned within about 1 hour to balance really well.  He started when he was 4 1/2 and was able to do it perfectly.  I ditto the too small bike!

Cassie, mom to Alex(4/7/05), Aidan(7/12/07), and Andrew(8/18/08)

#8 of 9 Old 10-10-2012, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Dd learned the 2nd time. I don't know how long she tried with dh the first time. Her bike is her size not too small.

Positive thoughts generate power, negative ones waste it ~ Unknown
#9 of 9 Old 10-12-2012, 05:29 PM

When my DD was 4, we got a very small two wheel bike. I took her to a parking lot, ran with her for a bit and let go...and she did it. It was a few days before she had enough control to ride on the sidewalk.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page