Did anyone's child outgrow a stuttering phase? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-22-2012, 05:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I stutter and am expecting right now.  Since stuttering can be genetic, I am hoping my child does not get it from me.  I wish my parents had NOT waited and had gotten me help early so my advice is to find a speech therapist who is trained to work with stuttering and who works well with young children.  The Stuttering Foundation has loads of great information for parents on their web site, and has referrals to speech therapists.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 08:48 PM

i stuttered as a child and i out grew it. 2 of my children have been delayed to talk and have had speech problems but not stuttering.

Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

Old 10-22-2012, 09:06 PM

My oldest DS stuttered quite a bit when he was 3/4/5 years old. I worried about it, briefly, and had a speech consult and evaluation done only for them to say it was developmentally normal. They said they would reevaluate him and go from there. He's 9.5 now, and doesn't stutter at all. I think he outgrew it somewhere between 5.5-6 years old, if I'm remembering correctly.

Regarding speech therapy - I have another son who has been in speech for going on 4 years now (different issue - annunciation), and it has been a positive thing in many ways. He loves his SLP (same one from pre-k to second grade), and he has improved tremendously with that therapy. Well, maybe a lot of his improvement in speech is developmental and being exposed to his peers who speak more clearly, but I definitely attribute a lot of his success to speech therapy multiple times a week. It has never been a negative, so, if your DS is deemed eligible for an SLP to work with him, I can only see the potential good that could come out of that. Even if the current stuttering is something that will be outgrown in time.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmk1 View Post

Do you know what the med was?  

Curiously wondering this, too. My DS with the ongoing speech issues also has asthma and has been hospitalized for it, including just last week with pneumonia.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

ok, thanks for chiming in Bonnie and all, I think I'm ready to consider a speech therapist as a potential warm, fun, helpful reality for ds rather than this clinical stressful entity I was fearing, I'm going to investigate locally, maybe some are more affordable, too...

Old 10-22-2012, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

My kids ADORE our speech therapists. Yes, we have multiple with all things that we have going on. DD2 is 6 and thinks speech therapy is so much fun. They play all sorts of games, make silly, goofy noises, it is the highlight of her day honestly. DS1 wakes up almost every single day asking for one speech therapist or another. Neither one sees it as therapy but as one on one undivided attention by an adult who is playing with them. I guess I didn't realize that you thought it would be cold and scary, most speech therapist work at making it fun for the kids so they WANT to come back every week. We've had better ones then other ones, but never a bad experience out of the 8 my kids have probably seen over the years. Many reasons for that, and we weren't switching because we didn't like like they were doing. DD1's current one actually spends 10 minutes each session with her making homework for the week which is always fun daily games, like hide a seek word cards. She actually has gotten to the point where she wakes up before the rest of us, and sets out her homework for the day (we do it in the morning before school) to do when I get up because that is how much she looks forward to it. I know in DS1's mind, speech class ranks right up there with ice cream in the his most awesome list ever. He'll ask to go when it isn't a speech day and when I try to explain, he just melts, he wants to go play with them so bad. orngtongue.gif

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Weird that I'm now reading this thread again...2 years ago I was worried about ds1 who needed a nebulizer whenever he got sick (but never stuttered), and now I'm worried about ds2 who was only nebulized a couple times as a baby, but 5 months ago started stuttering. Did your kids grow out of stuttering?
Old 08-07-2014, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My son did stop stuttering. Speech therapy didn't really help but biomedical interventions did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmk1 View Post
Weird that I'm now reading this thread again...2 years ago I was worried about ds1 who needed a nebulizer whenever he got sick (but never stuttered), and now I'm worried about ds2 who was only nebulized a couple times as a baby, but 5 months ago started stuttering. Did your kids grow out of stuttering?
Old 08-07-2014, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by APToddlerMama View Post
My son did stop stuttering. Speech therapy didn't really help but biomedical interventions did.
What biomedical interventions did you use?
Old 08-07-2014, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
My daughter stuttered when she was 3, it resolved itself with no intervention.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years

User Tag List