6yr old being teased about his lunch at school - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 12-13-2012, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spughy View Post

In my DD's school they have a strict "no sharing" policy for snacks and lunches.  Logistically I think that's a good idea, but sharing food is such an important part of human behaviour... it's hard on DD when a friend looks at her lunch with envy and she CAN'T give him or her a bit of it.  But there does seem to be at least one kid in every class with anaphylactic reaction to something, I guess this policy saves the teachers some worry and grief.  They do occasionally have days where they prepare foods together.

It's more than just "worry and grief"; the policy saves children's lives. Teachers have no way of knowing what's in a given product, nor what it might be cross-contamination with. If a friendly child gave my dd a slice of apple, but that slice of apple had happened to touch the child's sandwich, dd would end up in the ER or worse. It's hard not to share, but it's also hard to be left out of literally every single food-related activity the other kids an participate in--from birthday cake to pizza to special class treats to trips to restaurants, which she cannot eat in at all. Dd couldn't eat the gelt that was handed out at our synagogue Hanukkah party on Monday, or the doughnuts that a friend in gymnastics brought to celebrate a birthday on Tuesday, or the pretzels that they handed out at the end of her art class on Wednesday, or the popcorn at the movie she went to with her cousin last weekend. Aside from the safety issue, it's a huge relief to dd that other children in her school are not allowed to share food--otherwise, every single lunch period would be another instance of her feeling left out/singled out. 

#32 of 34 Old 12-14-2012, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by es1967 View Post

DS who is in Kindergarten came home last week and said the kids were making fun of his lunch.

He is used to eating very healthy so I pack him things like Hummus and pita,soups etc etc.  Last week

I made him tortellini's (not so healthy) and I added some cooked peas.  I always try to add a veggie.  He loves this.  Well, he came home and said the kids at his table said his lunch stinks.  Then today I packed him hummus and pita and he did not eat his lunch at school  Said he only ate his apple b/c he was not hungry.  Then I find out that this girl that they just moved beside him at lunch said his lunch smelled again.  So its one girl that says his lunch stinks and all the other kids around him make fun too.  I'm so thankful my son loves to eat healthy things and I don't want to have to send him mac and cheese everyday.  I have told him this girl just wants attention and to just ignore her.  He sat beside her in class at the start of the year and she bugged him during class too. He started giving her mean looks so she stopped .They move the kids around so luckily she was moved to another spot.  So regarding lunch should I tell him to ignore her,? tell him to make fun of her lunch? tell the teacher?. I thought maybe I should email the teacher whats going on just so she is aware. What would you do?

I would talk to the teacher about it. I'd ask her not to make a big deal in front of the class so he isn't embarrassed, but it needs to be addressed. He will be made fun of in other silly areas throughout school (all kids are unfortunately) but he needs to be able to feel comfortable enough to eat his lunch. poor kid

Single (divorced), self-employed working, college student MOM to:

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

#33 of 34 Old 01-20-2013, 12:15 AM

Just wondering ow things are going now.

Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

#34 of 34 Old 01-20-2013, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I havent read the thread,(and will) but saw your post OP, and thought i would commiserate. (btw you seem to pack a great lunch and i am envious that your child is actually willing to eat it.)

My latest ploy to  nourish my  child while he is at school ( the bane of my existence right now) is to have spent over $100 on a smoothie machine, then to make the smoothie the night before with fruits, kale, oils, kefir, something else with protein,  give it to him to taste-he says, yum, delicious!, then i freeze it so its still cold by snack time then he is supposed to eat it and enjoy it...

the other day, kids teased him and said it looked like moudly fish icecream... the kale had risen to the top in the freezing process. He refused to eat it after that. I actually thought it was kind of funny...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page