daughter only wants to go to friend's house, but not have friend over? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-11-2012, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi! My Daughter is almost 6 and in K. She has a long time friend that she usually plays really well with.

Suddenly she doesn't want her friend to come over to her house, but only wants to go to her friend's house.

I am trying to explain that part of being a friend is taking turns and that her friend really wants to come over. How do I have the friend over without my daughter being rude?

Has anyone else experiences this? Any advice? Would it be better to take the girls somewhere else... ?

Thanks!

~ForestMushroom

Forest  treehugger.gifMushroom whale.gif

#2 of 4 Old 11-11-2012, 05:19 PM

My guess is that her friend has some toys that you daughter wants to play with!  I've gone through similar phases with my son.  No real advice- give it a bit of time and her interests will likely change.

#3 of 4 Old 11-11-2012, 05:33 PM

^^ Agree with this. My older son would rather have playdates at his friends' houses for that exact reason. Whereas my younger son would rather have them here because he's still pretty attached to me-- but if toys were the the only issue, he's choose novel toys over his boring/old ones, too. Maybe try to make play time at your house new or cooler in some way? Like offer to do a baking project, set up a special craft, etc. We often have playdates over here because I help out a couple of families with childcare and I try my best to make it fun for my kids. I go overboard with yummy snacks, bring out ALL of the art supplies, etc.

Jean, feminist mama raising three boys: W (7), E (5) and L (2.15.13)

#4 of 4 Old 11-11-2012, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

thanks ladies! yes, after talking with my daughter she wants to have a party and cook special food and get little things from the dollar store to wrap. We are having and "unBirthday" party.

I totally understand the other house being more fun exciting, and I am trying to explain to her that her house is like that for her friend...

:)

But any other suggestions are welcome.

Forest  treehugger.gifMushroom whale.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page