Non-kid's camera for a 5 year old - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-12-2012, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are planning on buying a camera for DD's birthday. I don't want to get her the 'kid's' Fisher Price or VTech cameras, but a real point-and-shoot with at least 10MP. Something that is small, lightweight, and gives good quality, non-grainy photos. 

Right now I allow her to take pictures with my iPhone, and occasionally our camera, but we all want her to have her own. :-) She is very good about taking care of things (hence the reason I allow her to use my iPhone as a camera!).

Any rec's? We don't want an extremely high price point, probably willing to spend up to $60-70, and I'm hoping to find a good deal around Black Friday (her birthday is Nov. 26). 

I am also a lover of books reading.gif, treehugger treehugger.gif, and occasional soapbox stander! soapbox.gif

#2 of 6 Old 11-12-2012, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

why not get her an older version of an iphone. its what a 100 bucks though. if she tires of the camera she could use it for so many different things. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#3 of 6 Old 11-13-2012, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

We did the same thing. We finally upgraded our camera and gave dd who was close to turning five, our old canon powershot. She loves it and is very careful with it. 

mama to three little ladies
#4 of 6 Old 11-20-2012, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Update: I was at Target this weekend, and found an unadvertised sale on a Canon Powershot A1300, 16MP, marked down to $60, from original price $120. Super happy!

I am also a lover of books reading.gif, treehugger treehugger.gif, and occasional soapbox stander! soapbox.gif

#5 of 6 Old 11-21-2012, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Good to know! 

#6 of 6 Old 12-13-2012, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyssaneala View Post

Update: I was at Target this weekend, and found an unadvertised sale on a Canon Powershot A1300, 16MP, marked down to $60, from original price $120. Super happy!

Update #2: This was the perfect camera for her. It is very easy to use, and designed in a way that works well for small hands to hold. It takes nice pictures, is much more compact than the bulky kid's cameras, and she has already gotten a lot of use out of it! Battery life is also doing very well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page