What are your birthday traditions?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-16-2012, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all,

My son is celebrating his first birthday next week. He is my first child as well so we don't have much in the way of traditions set in stone. I am looking to all you creative mama's out there for suggestions to make the day special.

We are not very material oriented. We don't do a lot of gift giving or spend a lot of money on stuff. What types of songs do you sing? Special things with candles, candle rings? Small birthday tokens? Books/photos? etc... What do you do to make it special?

Thank you!

Me, slinggirl.gif mama to 1.5 yr old kid.gifDS, step mama to two tweens, married to a sarcastic sports nut censored.gif. We are unschooling! mdcblog5.gif http://twocoolfourschool.wordpress.com/

#2 of 13 Old 11-17-2012, 08:57 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Birthday crown

Waldorf-style birthday ring (kids love that)

some handmade construction paper decorations

party for preschool kids (no gifts please)

special dinner of choice

we actually spread it out so that is birthday week rather than birthday, I try to disassociate the day itself from being important, but rather the activity and family that participates 

#3 of 13 Old 11-17-2012, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

honestly the first bday was v. different than the other bdays.

for us first bday was about family and friends celebrating together. the emphasis was a big party, gathering and not really on kids. dd loved it. we had more adults than kids. dd just ate up the attention. we held it at a park. she was in fact off crashing the next bday party. we did the whole presents (people WANTED to bring presents), cake stuff but really teh kids didnt really care. 

our bday traditions really began when dd was 3. at 2 it didnt matter too much. this time i invited our whole playgroup so we had about 60 adults (and family and friends) and 40 kids of all ages.  

our traditions began at 3 sorta and has gotten more important. its more about dd and me. not presents. not dd. she was the person of the day. so she couldnt do anything wrong. i would not yell or punish her that day. also i was her slave for the day. i had to do what she wanted. THAT has what our bdays has been like.

so the first bday - just focus on yourself - how you'd love to show joy and everything else falls into place. make the day special for you and dh. for me the specialness was the rememberance. i got out of photographs (i'd miss so many moments while trying to take pictures). i got out of videos. <shrug> for dd it was just another day with more attention. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#4 of 13 Old 11-18-2012, 05:22 AM

Birthday celebrations are generally family events in our household. Cake, presents, and the annual height measurement. Pretty low key. We did one kid party with friends, but my son didn't want any more, thankfully. That was a lot of work!
#5 of 13 Old 11-18-2012, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. I love the idea of the annual height measurment and the birthday crown.

Me, slinggirl.gif mama to 1.5 yr old kid.gifDS, step mama to two tweens, married to a sarcastic sports nut censored.gif. We are unschooling! mdcblog5.gif http://twocoolfourschool.wordpress.com/

#6 of 13 Old 11-18-2012, 05:30 PM

I even added his birth length as though it was a height measurement. What I regret is marking it directly on the wall. No way to take it when we moved.
#7 of 13 Old 11-18-2012, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pek64 View Postwall

I even added his birth length as though it was a height measurement. What I regret is marking it directly on the wall. No way to take it when we moved.

I thought this too, as the wall was my first thought, but there is a good chance we will move fairly soon, in the next 2 years or so for my husbands job. I saw a really cute woodland scence wall measure in Nova Natural I may order

#8 of 13 Old 11-18-2012, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Just purchased the woodland measuring thing and the waldorf birthday ring from nova natural....it was a bit of a spurge, but I feel good about supporting a local company as well as purchasing two items that will make birthdays special and can be used for more than one child. I ordered an angel ornament for my Son's first ornament for the birthday ring because he was born 3 months early and most certaintly had his fair share of angels watching over him!

#9 of 13 Old 11-19-2012, 02:09 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

I know several people who have moved and taken their children's height measurements with them. Get a roll of paper, lining paper of leftover wallpaper or something and blu tac it up next to the wall with the height markings. Then you can transfer the marks across onto the roll of paper and redraw them in the new location.

#10 of 13 Old 11-19-2012, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingHyena View Post

I know several people who have moved and taken their children's height measurements with them. Get a roll of paper, lining paper of leftover wallpaper or something and blu tac it up next to the wall with the height markings. Then you can transfer the marks across onto the roll of paper and redraw them in the new location.

Good suggestion!

#11 of 13 Old 11-19-2012, 07:34 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by avismama24 View Post

Just purchased the woodland measuring thing and the waldorf birthday ring from nova natural....it was a bit of a spurge, but I feel good about supporting a local company as well as purchasing two items that will make birthdays special and can be used for more than one child. I ordered an angel ornament for my Son's first ornament for the birthday ring because he was born 3 months early and most certaintly had his fair share of angels watching over him!

Enjoy. We love ours. Just make sure you are careful with candles (obviously) because we had one figure who got smoke and mild burn marks. Too close. Wooden Wagon has among the largest selection of figures if you want to add to it.

#12 of 13 Old 11-19-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingHyena View Post

I really didn't even have time to think about it at the time. I thought of it later. Oh, well.
#13 of 13 Old 11-20-2012, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiAU View Post

Enjoy. We love ours. Just make sure you are careful with candles (obviously) because we had one figure who got smoke and mild burn marks. Too close. Wooden Wagon has among the largest selection of figures if you want to add to it.

Thank you for the Wooden Wagon suggesstion!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page