child safe/friendly makeup - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-19-2012, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My dd is a girly girl. I'm a chap stick and sometimes powder girl. Dd has asked for makeup for Christmas. I would like to get her a lip gloss, very light blush and very light powder. It doesn't have to be made for kids or anything but I would like to limit chemicals. It will be used for dress up around the house. I'm sure she will put a ton of it on each time :) I would like to not spend alot of money.

Any suggestions?

#2 of 7 Old 12-04-2012, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

No suggestions, I came to ask what other moms think of make-up for kids. My DD is 5 and also "girly." She has asked for this many times over months. I have mixed feelings at best about make-up. Would like some perspective on this!

#3 of 7 Old 12-04-2012, 10:15 AM

I got my 5-year-old DD some LunaStar makeup and she loves it.  It's mineral based, and the colors we got are all really light.  DD puts a ton on, but it's still fairly light and she only wears it around the house.  You can get it on amazon, although I bought DD's through a local coop.  We have the sparkle fairy set, which comes with 2 eyeshadows, blush, and a lipstick. 

Richella: I almost never wear makeup, but have no problem with my DD playing with it.  I don't really see it as a problem as long as she never gets to the can't-leave-the-house-with-my-real-face zone.  Every once in awhile I like to fix up my hair and wear jewelry beyond my wedding ring, and I see makeup as the same thing.

#4 of 7 Old 12-04-2012, 10:50 AM

What a coincidence!! My almost 5-year-old (b-day is 3 days after Christmas, lucky me!) is asking for makeup too!! Going to Whole Foods to see if any of their lip balm is tinted pink. I know Burt's Bees has some. I think I may get her a blush and/or eye shadow, and will be looking into WF and Burts Bees for that as well. Hopefully it won't cost too much.

Newly married 10/2013 to DH superhero.gifSAHM to DD 2007  dust.gif and DS 2010  bouncy.gif  homeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.gifhamster.jpg
#5 of 7 Old 12-04-2012, 03:41 PM

Just a thanks to the pp for sharing the lunastar makeup.  Those look awesome!

I think I picked up something simple by lip smackers for dd1 when we were in need of play makeup for home because anything else was just too costly or not easily obtainable, though I'd have really preferred something like a mineral makeup.  But either way, better than constantly using markers on her face as play makeup eyesroll.gif.  

Both burts bees and the yes to carrots companies make some pale pink and sparkly lip glosses that the kiddos here have really liked.  

#6 of 7 Old 12-04-2012, 09:56 PM

Hi!

I just wanted to say that my 6 year old dd is asking for make-up as well.  We found lunastar online and are planning on getting her that for Christmas.  Right now I have some Burt's Bees tinted lip balm that she uses.  Our rule is that she can wear it at home.

I struggled with this for awhile because I thought she was too young for make-up.  This is the compromise we've come to. 

The other place I was going to look for some natural make-up was the health food store.

Married Mama to two girls, A (4/06) and I (9/09).

#7 of 7 Old 12-05-2012, 11:02 AM

I do wear make-up, rarely, and I don't mind having fun with appearance. I give my dds much more freedom in their clothing and hair choices than I had (though my mom was very old-school about that stuff). I guess my main hesitation is that as girls get older there is so much pressure to present oneself so as to be attractive to boys, or for approval of anyone else, as opposed to knowing that beauty is inherent from within.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page