How much noise do your children make? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 11-27-2012, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

No, seriously, I'm just trying to figure out if we're in the normal range or not. 

I have three (9, 6 and 2).  But about 4 pm, everyone is inside playing because it's cold out.  Or trying to help me make dinner.  Or practicing the piano.  Or terribly whining from being tired and hungry (the 2 year old).  And the sound is just incredible.  No one is doing anything wrong, and yet, it's very intense.  High volume, high frequency - It makes my head spin and honestly it makes me extremely anxious and overwhelmed for some reason. 

Sometimes I wear the ear protection that came with the table saw, but even that doesn't do the trick if I'm already feeling overwhelmed.

#2 of 19 Old 11-27-2012, 06:51 PM

If it's bothering you, you have the right to ask them to tone it down.
#3 of 19 Old 11-27-2012, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

i just have one but when her friends visit - neighbors who practically live in our house - two other girls - the noise level is incredible. 

problem is one of her friends is very loud. when she is over wow the noise level is really something. when the other girl visits she is not so loud. 

yet just the loud girl can visit and between two giggling girls - the noise can be quite strong. 

it seems to be you are particularly sensitive to sound. now i am on the opposite spectrum as you so i dont have problems most of the time. other times i have to remind them to turn down the sound. 

so yes i think they can get really loud. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#4 of 19 Old 11-27-2012, 08:11 PM

I have kids only during the day, but at the end of the day, I just wish everyone would stop talking to me.  I swear my husband talks nonstop if he's awake.  But, my ears and brain just can't take it.

We also have an open floorplan, a huge long house, and it's ALL tile...so, the sound just bounces everywhere.  Wooden blocks, loud toys... it seems neverending.

#5 of 19 Old 11-27-2012, 08:38 PM

I'm sensitive to sound and it's been even more heightened during pregnancy. My boys can be very, very loud. During "the witching hour" as I like to call it (4 o'clock until dinner) it can get really intense. All my friends say the same thing. I think kids are just loud.

Jean, feminist mama raising three boys: W (7), E (5) and L (2.15.13)

#6 of 19 Old 11-27-2012, 08:52 PM

I tend to walk around with my ipod in my ears. Our house is really noisy. I'm reluctant to send them outside when they're especially noisy because I'm sure the neighbors would complain.

#7 of 19 Old 11-27-2012, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

4 kids and OMG, it is noisy! My parents can not stand to come over and this isn't even running around the house screaming noisy, I do not allow that. Just regular kid noisy, x4. Over the years I have learned to tune it out fairly well but it still bothers me at times. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#8 of 19 Old 11-27-2012, 10:03 PM

I'm highly sensitive to noise- it makes me anxious and overwhelmed.  My girls are LOUD.  My nearly 3 year old DD is a screamer/screecher and my nearly 5 year old is a shouter.  And they both talk generally loud.  Anyways, I hate it, and when they just get overly loud they can either play in their room with the door closed *or* sit on separate couches with books and read to themselves.  They get that I'm highly sensitive to noise- I think it helps that my 5yo is also highly sensitive to noise (other than her own, haha) and can relate to my feelings about it.

It was more difficult when they were younger, but not as bad now.

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#9 of 19 Old 11-30-2012, 12:52 AM

I would tell them to use their inside voices. Then discipline if necessary. Try to encourage quiet, indoor activities.

Single (divorced), self-employed working, college student MOM to:

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

#10 of 19 Old 12-08-2012, 01:34 PM

3 boys here and they are very very loud! 

Cassie, mom to Alex(4/7/05), Aidan(7/12/07), and Andrew(8/18/08)

#11 of 19 Old 12-12-2012, 08:41 AM

2 boys here and very, very loud!

#12 of 19 Old 12-17-2012, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

5 kids here, ages 1-17.  The oldest hides in his room most the time, he's too quiet.  The little one is almost two, kinda noisy, but not too bad.  The middle three... I've had neighbors complain with their running, yelling, fighting, slamming doors, etc.  And it's CONSTANT, from 6 am to midnight.  They listen to me better than they listen to their Dad when it's time to cool it, but still, I suspect they're louder than average.

My sister has four kids, ages 2-11.  The girls are what I'd consider average noisy, but my 4 year old nephew... he doesn't talk, he yells, he doesn't walk, he runs, he doesn't play softly, he crashes the toys, etc.  It's like standing next to a jet plane, being with my nephew.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#13 of 19 Old 12-20-2012, 11:49 PM

I have two, but the baby's noise isn't that bad. Mostly, it's my 4 yo daughter. She drives me absolutely bonkers. She constantly has to make noise, but she can't sing or just talk. She's always making the most horrible noises, moaning or screeching or fake burping or growling sounds. It's absolutely constant. I wish that just once she would sing a song or something instead of making dinosaur-that's-choking-on-a-hairball sounds for 15 hours a day. dizzy.gif

tiqa likes this.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#14 of 19 Old 01-26-2013, 06:59 AM

My girls are very quiet most of the time. Oldest DD (11) is quiet to the extreme, youngest DD(6) is spirited and always singing and dancing to music only she can hear. It was hard on oldest as she wanted it quiet all the time and then youngest was born and has yet to stop making some type of happy noise. They have now settled in though and now they feed off each other. Oldest now sings and dances with youngest, and youngest often reads with oldest. The noise level is never out of control.

I started a new job this year, I work in an elementary school cafeteria. Wow. I didn't even know kids were able to reach that extreme noise level, let alone it being day after day after day. lol
#15 of 19 Old 01-26-2013, 07:04 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
There are certain vitamin deficiencies that when corrected can end highly sensitive hearing... That might be worth looking in to if it really boarders some of you. When I read about it the people that supplemented and fixed their problem were overjoyed!
#16 of 19 Old 01-26-2013, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I only have one but it does get loud when friends are over. I used to listen to Pandora on the phone then but now that I have it I use my iPod. I also work with kids and I always carry a warm drink in a spill proof mug at work to sip in when it starts seeming overwhelming noise wise or patience wise. For some reason it really calms me and I am able to find my inner calm quickly.
#17 of 19 Old 01-27-2013, 06:18 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
My DS has a diagnosed auditory processing disorder and I strongly suspect that I have one, too. We are both very sensitive to relatively normal noise levels, especially when the sound is coming from two different directions.
#18 of 19 Old 01-27-2013, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My kids are so loud I wear ear plugs. This is a phase. I hope.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#19 of 19 Old 01-27-2013, 06:55 PM

I used to get them to play "The Quiet Game". We'd see who could stay quiet the longest. No real winner - except me. My daughter was 15 before she realized that it wasn't really "a game".

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page