How much sleep does your kindergartner need? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 11-29-2012, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

This is related to my other thread but I wanted to have a thread asking this specific question

Thanks.

Positive thoughts generate power, negative ones waste it ~ Unknown
#2 of 19 Old 11-29-2012, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have two in junior kindergarten (age 4.5) and they need at least 11 hours/night.  Preferably 12.  Dd can handle a little bit less than ds but not much.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#3 of 19 Old 11-29-2012, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I am not aware of junior kindergarten. In the U.S. they are 5+ in KG.

#4 of 19 Old 11-29-2012, 10:18 AM

about 11 hours to be fully functional

Jean, feminist mama raising three boys: W (7), E (5) and L (2.15.13)

#5 of 19 Old 11-29-2012, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My kindergartner (will be 6 in January) goes to bet between 8pm - 9pm and gets up at about 7:30am - 8am.

#6 of 19 Old 11-29-2012, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Last year in kindergarten, my daughter went to sleep at 7.30 and woke up at 7.  By the end of the week, she was sooooo tired. 

Neera likes this.
#7 of 19 Old 11-29-2012, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Mine might be an outlier, but she goes to bed around 9, probably doesn't fall asleep until 9:30 or 10, and gets up at 6:45, so about 9 hours.  She still takes a nap at school, but I don't think she needs it.  She doesn't really have a bedtime, she goes to bed when she's tired. 

-Marisa, ecstatic mommy to amazing DD Sidonie, 2/07 :
#8 of 19 Old 11-29-2012, 03:12 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

About 11 hours and maybe once a week or so an extra hour here or there. We read stories at 6:30 and lights are out by 7:15-7:30 and it takes about 15 minutes to sleep. Occasionally he still wakes up and needs a hand held but for the most part (thank you thank you finally) he sleeps through the night and wakes up at 6:30 .

When he gets closer to 10 hours he is obviously, visably tired.

#9 of 19 Old 11-29-2012, 03:38 PM

My 5.5 yo ds needs between 10 and 10.5 hrs. He has always needed considerably less sleep than his 7yo sister, who still needs closer to 11 or even a bit more. They go to bed at the same time, but he's always up longer piddling about in his bedroom and he usually rises first too. I think he takes after his father in this regard, who is a complete night owl.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#10 of 19 Old 11-29-2012, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

again i feel there is no average with this. some kids need more sleep than others. my dd from day one was the type that slept less than other babies. to date she sleeps less than others. somedays through she does fight sleep and sleeps less than usual. sending her to bed does not mean she sleeps. usually that weekend she makes up at least one night. 

at k dd slept maybe 9 to 10 hours. these days its 8 - 9 hours in 5th grade. she cannot EVER wake up at 7 am during school days. on weekends she is up bright and early at 6:30 to 7 am. eyesroll.gif a couple of nights ago she slept 6 hours as she was up later than usual finishing up a project she had forgotten about. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#11 of 19 Old 11-30-2012, 08:24 AM

My son needs 10-11 hours of sleep to get through the day without being too tired or a bit cranky. His bedtime is around 8pm since he started school. 

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#12 of 19 Old 11-30-2012, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnj77 View Post

Mine might be an outlier, but she goes to bed around 9, probably doesn't fall asleep until 9:30 or 10, and gets up at 6:45, so about 9 hours.  She still takes a nap at school, but I don't think she needs it.  She doesn't really have a bedtime, she goes to bed when she's tired. 

They get to nap in K?

#13 of 19 Old 11-30-2012, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteNicole View Post

Last year in kindergarten, my daughter went to sleep at 7.30 and woke up at 7.  By the end of the week, she was sooooo tired. 

This is my dd.

#14 of 19 Old 11-30-2012, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neera View Post

They get to nap in K?

My DD's kindergarten class has a 30 minute rest time each day.
#15 of 19 Old 12-01-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polliwog View Post

My DD's kindergarten class has a 30 minute rest time each day.

polli is this different from choice time? do they also get a half hour choice time? is she in full day K? 

dd has always had choice time from K. they are allowed to do anything - even rest their head down on their desk. no nap space though. it is interesting that i have seen 5th graders use more down time during choice time, either reading or drawing quietly at their desk than K. in K they were more talkative, interactive and played board games together in a group. its v. rarely that i'd see a child with their head down in K. some of course prefered alone time. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#16 of 19 Old 12-02-2012, 05:51 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It's full-day kindergarten and the kids rest on mats on the floor. It comes after recess and lunch, so there's no need for socializing. They've just done that for an hour. A child, or two, might fall asleep, but most just rest, read, or color (which is allowed in some classes.) Choice time is something completely different. The children have access to the whole room, but can't just sit around and socialize.

Resting/reading/coloring on a mat is way more comfortable than putting your head down on a table.
#17 of 19 Old 12-02-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polliwog View Post

Resting/reading/coloring on a mat is way more comfortable than putting your head down on a table.

sure!! i think the only full day Ks in our area when dd was in K were at private schools. all others were half day K. dd was in a daycare before K. i think in her group of about 20 4 year old kids only two kids slept. they all had to lay down for half an hour. those who werent asleep got up to do quiet activities. many of those kids struggled to stay down for that half hour. i think they got 2 hours nap time. 

#18 of 19 Old 12-15-2012, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

One of my 5 year olds does best on 12 hours (7-7) with a short 10-15 minute cat nap around 5 pm in the car or lying on the floor. She sleeps in her own bed all night.

The other 5 year old does best on 9 hours (9-6) but can get by on less.  She also comes into my bed half-way through the night.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#19 of 19 Old 12-15-2012, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumm View Post

One of my 5 year olds does best on 12 hours (7-7) with a short 10-15 minute cat nap around 5 pm in the car or lying on the floor. She sleeps in her own bed all night.

The other 5 year old does best on 9 hours (9-6) but can get by on less.  She also comes into my bed half-way through the night.

Thanks, mumm. This gives me a good idea of how different they can be from each other. Mine certainly seems like a 12 hr kind. She said recently that she feels "droopy" when she's back from school. This is on 10.5-11 hrs of sleep. Even though she gets a solid 11 hrs I think her sleep is disturbed by dreams, or being hot or cold. Even though I have the temperature at what is comfortable when we go to sleep it changes a lot for her in her sleep. She gets hot v. quickly. If I have it too cool she won't be able to fall asleep.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page