help!! where to find clothing for overweight 5 yr old - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-08-2012, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My friend has a child that just turned 5 in November. She is 65 lbs and wears a size 12 in most clothes. The problem with that is that she is so short that she can't wear size 12 without it being extremely long on her arms and legs. :(  She bought some stuff for her daughter a while back and her mother (the child's grandma) got upset that it wasn't right. She never can seem to find the right thing.

Does anyone know of a specialty store for this child? I think leggings are the answer but even those are long. Her waist is the same size of a 12 yr old and even those are tight on her.

Single (divorced), self-employed working, college student MOM to:

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

#2 of 8 Old 12-08-2012, 09:55 AM

I have a good friend with this problem. I know she tried lots and lots of different brands. They have money so if the mom had found clothing made for girls like hers, she would of been all over it! Hanna Anderson dresses, at least the play dresses, tend to be cut wider. Check e-bay for cheaper ones. They ended up just having to buy large sizes of t-shirts and leggings (that was really all that fits the girl) and the mom would hem the sleeves and pants. I know that they still have to do that because by age 7-8, they had to move to adult women clothing to accommodate her waist size. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#3 of 8 Old 12-08-2012, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

There are sizes called "1/2" sizes or 'plus' sizes for girls which are the equivelant of 'husky' sizes for boys.  They are cut wider and shorter to accommodate different body styles.  (gymboree, lands send and gap listed below are good starting points)

http://www.landsend.com/ix/girls-clothing/Girls/Assortments=slim-plus-styles/index.html?seq=1~2~3&catNumbers=400&visible=1~2~1&merchAsId=467

http://www.gap.com/browse/category.do?cid=82743

http://www.gymboree.com/shop/dept_category.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374306254548&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395917465&bmUID=1354990273819

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#4 of 8 Old 12-08-2012, 01:30 PM

I think the best thing may be to make some clothing if they know anyone at all that can sew.  They could then actually tailor the clothes to her exact waist size without it being so long.

Cassie, mom to Alex(4/7/05), Aidan(7/12/07), and Andrew(8/18/08)

#5 of 8 Old 12-09-2012, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My daughter has a couple of issues that have led to her being somewhat over weight - first, she has a movement disorder so she can not run and second, she is on meds.  Her weight shot up after starting the meds.  Her height is catching up to her weight (she's been the same weight for two years, but growing taller) but it wasn't easy finding cute clothes to fit.  We had really good luck with Hanna Andersson clothes, as someone mentioned above.  The leggings can just be bunched up and they look fine, the empire waist and A line dresses also fit well.  They're cute, age appropriate, and flattering.  They also look new FOREVER.  She's been growing taller without gaining weight so the dresses I bought two winters ago still look fantastic.

#6 of 8 Old 12-09-2012, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I don't think Land's End does plus size before their "big kids" size starting at size 7. But a size 7 or 8 plus might work in the waist and not be so overly long as 12 regulars. Capris or cropped pants can sometimes work when everything that fits in the waist is also too long. And if they end up being a tiny bit too short to look like full length pants, you can add a ruffle of lace or something. That's easy even with minimal sewing skills and no sewing machine.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#7 of 8 Old 12-09-2012, 04:17 PM

One of my daycare girl's sister is 8, and very overweight.  She buys clothes at Old Navy, and at some preteen girl's shop (I think it's called Justice) they have some plus sizes, but she likes to get the size 12, or juniors M tops and wear them as a long shirt/or dress with pants.  

She has a very hard time with pants...so, they buy her 12 jeans and hem the bottoms, or she wears the nice jogging type slacks with the bottoms hemmed.  (grandma does her hemming) 

We are fortunate though, that we live in Phoenix, so she can wear skirts or shorts most of the year, and never wears long sleeved shirts, just short sleeves and maybe a jacket over that when it's cold.  It's early December and I haven't seen her wear slacks yet.  

http://www.oldnavy.com/products/girls-plus-size-clothing.jsp

Oh..also, I haven't been in a JC penney in a long time, but I remember they had a girls plus size section, and even a plus size extended.  (not sure what that meant)   

#8 of 8 Old 10-30-2013, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Plus sizes do not work for this child, not even close. She is only 5 and wears the same size as middle schoolers. It's not just a couple size difference for her. Come to find out she is in a size 14 and can only wear capris because they fit like pants and shorts go below her knees because she is so short. She is abnormally wide, way wider than most overweight children. She has very thick arms, wrists and ankles. She can't run or even hop or skip because her body is so wide and big she breaks out in a huffing puffing sweat just from walking. I really feel bad for her. Some pants won't even go past her feet when she tries to put it on because her ankles are so big. They put dresses on her a lot of the time. But her mom tends to buy her a lot of ugly pants to wear just because they "fit" basically and that's why I started this thread. I've even purchased a few things and donated them to her but never see the items again so I'm not buying anything else.

Single (divorced), self-employed working, college student MOM to:

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page