Bedwetting.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-17-2012, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello,

My daughter turned 4 Oct 15th (potty trained at 22 months) and for about 1 month now she's been going to bed without pullups but she's wetting the bed just about every single night. When she wore pullups at night, a small pack would last me about 2.5 months as she would go 5 to 6 days without wetting. It seems she wets the bed as soon as she wakes up in the middle of the night (to come in our bed) and is dry from that point on, until morning. It's that middle of the night waking that startles her and she wakes up and urinates.

My gut is telling me that she's young still and I'm not wanting to push the issue. If her body isn't ready, it isn't ready. I planned to talk with her tonight about getting underjams and seeing how that goes. She is very adament about NOT wearing pullups as in her words "I'm a big girl and don't wear diapers".

Any advice? Are 4 year olds "supposed" to be fully trained at night?

#2 of 5 Old 12-17-2012, 08:30 AM

Ds is 5 and still pees at night. He wears a pull-up to bed. Sometimes it is dry sometimes it is soaked. He isn't peeing when awake he's totally asleep when he pees so I know his body just isn't ready yet. No big deal.

We talk a lot about how no milestone is true across the board. Before ds was born I worked in a school where my students were between 10-16 years old. They all wore diapers. That didnt make them babies. Ds visits a nursing home with his school. Some of the residents where diapers. They are certainly not babies. People's bodies are all different, change at different times, and some people have different challenges. He has no problem wearing a pull-up because he realizes that age and diapers are not always connected.
#3 of 5 Old 12-17-2012, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

That's a great idea in teaching her that diapers aren't always related to babies. I will talk with her about that. Thanks!smile.gif

#4 of 5 Old 12-18-2012, 07:20 PM

My dd was 6 before she could stay dry all night. We did underjams. I used to tell her that they wouldn't make them in her size if there weren't a lot of kids her age that needed them.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#5 of 5 Old 12-19-2012, 09:14 AM

My dd has been potty trained since about the same age as yours, on her own, and is 4.5 and would love to be diaper free at night. I have tried a variety of things to help her, like taking her potty before I go to bed, etc but none have helped her. Her body isn't ready. I hope it is soon for her just because she is upset about it. My ds potty trained at 3 with my help and he was dry at night by 3.5 on his own.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page