Touch Screen Technology like Ipads, Ipads, Iphones, Kindle Fire, ect.... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-12-2013, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What does the research really say?  Good?  Bad?  I have been searching for actual research and about to come to the conclusion there is none.    So in the absence of real studies do you lump them in with television and other forms of screen time?  If anyone has read any studies can you let me know.  Thanks a bunch!

Fun loving crunchy mommy to an amazing outgoing adventurous boy named Logan Cloud 2/2/07 and our little ball of energy Jayden Edge 11/28/10 and wife to Jet 7/3/05 expecting our third 09/21/14

}
#2 of 5 Old 01-13-2013, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

i lump them all together. 

for kids under 5 they need a variety of inputs. technology is v. addictive. so i would restrict over use of them, as much as i would restrict overuse of reading. 

i kinda dont buy into research these days. except some of course - the obvious. the real research never gets out anyways. there is bad research. just coz they are printed in peer review doesnt mean they are right. its just a thought. esp. in this case. i as the parent decide what to do.

with my dd i worked on computers. so obviously i felt it wrong keeping them away from her. if mama could be on the computer why not dd. 

for me i have found if dd has a bunch of activity planned by me, her need to even be on any technology is not addictive. even at 10. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#3 of 5 Old 01-13-2013, 11:54 AM

I consider it all screen time too, and try to limit it.  Although we are being asked to do 1/2 hour of math on the web these days so I have to call that homework rather than screen time.  I think it's really kid specific.  My DD is 9 and she can take it or leave it, but many of her friends are fairly addicted.  

#4 of 5 Old 01-14-2013, 10:33 AM

I don't know of any research, either.  I don't limit my kids too much, but don't find that I need to.  They are outside more often than not.  And will occassionally go through spurts of videogaming (usually when they get a new game) until they tire of it.  They each have an e-reader, which I don't limit.  They use them sporadically.  Generally on long car rides. 

My daughter came up with the idea of doing chores to "earn" screen time, so we did that for awhile.  But with how little they're actually on the computers/etc, I didn't find it necessary.

Sorry I'm not more help! =) Curious about this, myself.

#5 of 5 Old 01-20-2013, 10:30 PM

Hey there -- I write a bit about technology and family so this is something that's been on my mind a lot. AFAIK, there aren't any studies about the long term effects of prolonged touchscreen exposure with young children. Considering that the technology has only relatively recently (within the last 5 years) become so widespread, that's not surprising. 

Screen time for children is such a divisive topic. For every parent who swears they won't let their child watch television until they're 25 (extra points if said parent owns an iPad that they use after child has gone to sleep), there's another parent who gives their baby their own iPad; I think both are equally crazy.Touchscreens definitely should count as screen time but I'm of the opinion that touchscreen time isn't necessarily the same as television screentime. Television screentime is fairly passive; you turn on the TV and you watch the screen. Conversely, touchscreen time is arguably more active, as the child can interact with the screen, like while playing a game or is otherwise active, like when using the device as an e-reader. 

I have a four year old who has her "own" Kindle which we use as an TV device as well as a more "active" device, such as when she's playing learning games. I limit her watching time but allow her to have more time so long as she's using a more active application, such as a learning game. I also take an active role while she's using the tablet. Learning games are generally done with her next to me with me supporting the process.

Michelle -- geeky homeschooling mama

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page