My kindergartner doesn't go to any classes - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 01-17-2013, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I think dd might be the only one that doesn't go to any 'extra' classes. She will be going back to soccer in spring but that's about it. I know one of her friends learns piano and dance. Another goes for a culture class (includes learning a foreign language)... How much peer pressure is there about this as they grow older? I know many of these lessons are quite pricey and really, at this age we don't know what she is really interested in.

Let me make sure that my thoughts, words and actions are beneficial to the scene in which I find myself ~ Unknown
#2 of 21 Old 01-17-2013, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think kindergarten takes up so much of their time that they don't really get the full benefit from additional activities, and they tend to get tired. Its really hard for a child that age to spend a full day at school. I think you are right to not have any additional activities going on for her right now, plus when is she going to have time to just play?

Neera likes this.
#3 of 21 Old 01-17-2013, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
My dd has always done a couple activities in addition to school but I have never heard about peer pressure for any activity except ballet. The pressure for that is crazy. I don't think kids are giving any direct pressure to take a class though, it seems like ballet is perceived as really cool in our area and kids my dd's age want to be part of that in the same way they wanted Pokemon cards with all their being last year and will want something else next year.

Peer pressure among parents may vary though depending on the parent peer group you choose though.
#4 of 21 Old 01-18-2013, 06:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

It must be quiet regional! 

By that age most adults think noting of asking the child directly what sports (all done outside of school) they are playing as well.

In my area it's assumed and if you don't you are look at like there is something wrong.

I know three year olds that have been spending their full Saturdays in sports!

and the rest of the week is for dance and music- not at all weird around here-not doing so is irked.gif

Neera likes this.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#5 of 21 Old 01-18-2013, 10:37 AM

We have pretty over-scheduled families where I live too.  I actually asked about this over on the Working Parent's board a while back too.  We will occasionally take a class through our recreation department on a Saturday, but it's not high-pressure or anything.  Right now he's taking a creative drama class and loves it, it's really sparking his interest.  My son spends all week in 4K/day care, most of the time he just wants to stay home and play with his toys.  Thinking about tee-ball this summer just for something active to do and to maybe meet other kids since he'll be transitioning to public school next year and all of his old friends will be splitting up to their respective 5K schools, but that's about all I have on my radar right now.

The thing that stinks is that even a lot of the low-cost recreation classes are set up to assume you started X activity when you were 3 or 4.  So if you decide that you want to try gymnastics or something as an 8 year old, I'm not even sure where you go because by then all the classes with their peers are advanced already.

Neera likes this.

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

#6 of 21 Old 01-18-2013, 10:45 AM

It's the same in my neighborhood as well. I personally think kids that age should have as much free play time as possible but my son is only 9 months old and his "peers" are already on waiting lists for activities! I was going to start him on piano when he gets big enough but only because he's super interested in playing ours at home... if he doesn't enjoy himself, we'll stop.

#7 of 21 Old 01-18-2013, 05:18 PM

It's not classes here, but sports.  My 5 yr old will be playing baseball this Spring for about 8 weeks and the majority of those kids will have started last  year at 4, so we will be about 1 yr behind.  My kids are in karate during the school year bc it keeps them active and but we aren't competitive with it like other families.  We aren't one of those families that is big into sports and classes.

Cassie, mom to Alex(7), Aidan(5), Andrew(4)

#8 of 21 Old 01-19-2013, 01:18 AM

My five year old isn't involved in any extracurricular activities.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#9 of 21 Old 01-20-2013, 12:03 AM

None of my kids do extra curricular activities right now. But my nieces are in many and it takes up a lot of their time.

Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

#10 of 21 Old 01-20-2013, 03:31 PM

Hi-

My 5yo DD is in zero activities as well.  She is in kindergarten 8:50-2:05 all week, with one day of after school care...by Friday she is super tired.  On the weekends she plays with neighborhood kids and has a lot of time to hang out in her PJs playing whatever she feels like by herself (toys, drawing, etc).  

I personally don't think structured activities are generally a positive experience for a 5yp, although I could see 1 or 2 being ok.  I know a lot of kids her age in 5+ activities per week and I think that is an extremely bad idea. 

Kids need free, unstructured time.  

-Jen

#11 of 21 Old 01-20-2013, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Dd is weeks away from turning 6. She also get super tired from full time school. I'm glad to know I'm not alone.

Let me make sure that my thoughts, words and actions are beneficial to the scene in which I find myself ~ Unknown
#12 of 21 Old 01-22-2013, 06:47 AM

My daughter is almost six, and she isn't in any extra activities. She's in full day kindy with homework, and she needs evening and weekends to recover. In the summer, we will do a few activities, but not during the school year.

Neera likes this.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#13 of 21 Old 01-22-2013, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GISDiva View Post

The thing that stinks is that even a lot of the low-cost recreation classes are set up to assume you started X activity when you were 3 or 4.  So if you decide that you want to try gymnastics or something as an 8 year old, I'm not even sure where you go because by then all the classes with their peers are advanced already.

This is an issue in our area as well. It can be difficult to find "just-for-fun" classes when they are 8, 9, 10 +. My DD13 does band through school (started in 4th) and DD9 does chorus (no prior experience needed), orchestra (at school) and a just-for-fun pottery class. At kindy age, they mainly just did swimming lessons in the summer since we live by a lake, but that was when school was out.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#14 of 21 Old 01-22-2013, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
This is an issue in our area as well. It can be difficult to find "just-for-fun" classes when they are 8, 9, 10 +.

my area doesn't even have them for the 3 to 5 group! greensad.gif they look at you like you have three heads if you say you don't want your child to be in the dance recital- "all "dance" is for real! and these children WANT to who off!" .......as it was told to me  

we have no fun, it's all serious in my area and I have yet to find a parent that has a problem with it besides us

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#15 of 21 Old 01-22-2013, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Wow! That sucks. I like the activities our schools offer. They are serious, yet fun, if that makes sense. And better yet, I basically consider them part of the school day, since they are variously right before/after school or during recess. Forgot to mention that my DD13 does yoga at a private studio and a meditation class at the library - something like that is good & not competitive! smile.gif

And to the OP - I guess the peer pressure depends on your area. We don't have much other than my friend and I try to sign our kids up for some of the same things because we share after-school care & it's easier to cart them around that way. I wouldn't rush to sign up for anything for a kindergartner unless she shows a real interest in a particular sport/activity. From what I know about soccer - that's plenty on top of school.

Neera likes this.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#16 of 21 Old 01-22-2013, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

dd didnt really start any afterschool activity till 4th grade. school was hard enough for her. she missed just having hte day to decide what to do.

in 5th she seriously started classes and now has them 3 days a week. come fall she'll be in classes 5 to 6 days a week - out of  her own choice.

dd never felt the peer pressure on this, but i did face some from moms who were surprised i hadnt signed her up for anything. she did on and off classes in music but seh really didnt get serious about them till last year and that's when we went back to classes.

Neera likes this.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#17 of 21 Old 01-27-2013, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Kindergarten isn't tiring for my DD and she's a really social creature. She plays soccer in the spring and fall through our YMCA (only on Saturdays.) I think I'll sign her up for a no-pressure gymnastics class through our Parks and Rec department. She's turning six next month and she will be old enough for the 6-12-year-old group.
#18 of 21 Old 01-27-2013, 06:23 PM

My almost 7 yo isn't in any activities outside of school. We have tried them in the past - low key and one thing at a time and he has chosen not to continue. My almost 5 yo is entering her second season of soccer. She loves it. At this point I think she will continue to play when she enters K. My son has recently expressed interest in piano lessons and I intend to let him try, I bought a 4 lesson intro pack but I anticipate even that will be too much for him because of the required practice. My son has many friends who are involved in multiple sports and classes. I don't feel pressured by their participation...it isn't a good fit for my kid/our family.

Neera likes this.
#19 of 21 Old 02-04-2013, 01:19 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

None. His K has all the goodies and even if it didn't, we wouldn't schedule any. K is enough, believe me. He doesn't even want to take off his pajamas on Saturday. He may consent to something "fun" outside the house if he has a solid 5-6 hours of legos/playmobil/drawing etc. I always laugh when people talk about tv. How on earth do their kid's find the time?

#20 of 21 Old 02-04-2013, 06:50 PM

Our DD is in all day pre-school/daycare. She goes to kindergarten next year.

She has done a couple of classes. So far things that are parent/child stuff.

We did gymnastics when she was 2 with her and her Mum. And she did a toddler/parent swim class.

Now her and I do a Sat. morning child/parent gymnastics class. But that was more for fun and some special one on one time now that we have new born twins.

It is early Sat morning. I think it really helps us to start the day. If we stay home and lounge around in our jammies for the morning it seems to set the day to be harder.

We do it for the fun and structured together time. She enjoys it. I do not think she would enjoy it if she was not with a parent.

We will probably hold off on anything else until she is older and more likely to do it alone. As she turns 4 she will be required to do classes without the parents involvement.

We will probably do swim lessons though. We live in a region and culture where people spend a lot of time at the beach and on lakes. I think learning to swim is one of the most important things for a child to learn.

And I am teaching her to skate.

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#21 of 21 Old 02-13-2013, 11:20 AM

I let my kids do one "big" activity (my daughter does 2 hours of dance a week and my son does 1 hour of gymnastics a week) and one "small" activity that is more seasonal - swim lessons/team, voice lessons, art class, soccer, t ball. I really let it be up to them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page