Intact 2yr old boy, masturbating excessively. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 02-02-2013, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajama View Post

Not good enough.   There is no need to specifically discuss your child's personal sexual experiences on the internet.  If you think there's a real problem, talk to a professional irl or research the issues using books, internet-published journals, etc.  

Mamajama, parents need to talk to other parents about their kids. That's normal. Parents connect with each other via message boards. I don't think the threat of a**hole pedophiles should even come into the conversation. If we are talking pictures, that's a different story. I don't think the OP was out of line at all. Some things are best not shared online, and as kids get older we need to be increasingly respectful of their autonomy, but this is a COMMON concern for moms of toddlers, and it is okay to talk about it online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by contactmaya View Post

It could be a yeast infection/thrush making him itchy  (an imbalance in his glut flora) Treat it with some plain probiotic filled yoghurt, dabbed literally on the area.  Kids do masturbate alot at that age though. They are discovering their bodied.They eventually develop a sense of privacy. You can let him know that that is something done in private., but dont get to worried about it, he is only 2 after all. At 4 i might do some redirection. I found my 7yo and 4yo figured out by that age that it was private on their own (i may have told  them once or twice)

Yogurt doesn't really help with long term genital flora colonization, unfortunately. Yogurt is likely to be cooling and refreshing (and messy!) if he is itchy, but is unlikely to solve any sort of flora imbalance. 

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#32 of 36 Old 02-02-2013, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by homemademomma View Post

Yogurt doesn't really help with long term genital flora colonization, unfortunately. Yogurt is likely to be cooling and refreshing (and messy!) if he is itchy, but is unlikely to solve any sort of flora imbalance. 

Eating yoghurt helps with flora imbalance in general and impacts the genitals In fact, a baby inherits his/her gut flora by passing through the genital tract at birth. In any case, applying it topically can certainly counteract thrush, ive used it on myself  in such situations, and on my nipples when nursing a newborn. My son benefited only two days ago from the same thing. So its worth a try. Im not saying a mere smudge is going to change the long term genital flora  though....eating it  just might

#33 of 36 Old 02-02-2013, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

I'm going to step in here and remind everyone of our user agreement. 

Thank you ICM for stepping in. The user agreement link is http://www.mothering.com/community/a/user-agreement. Let's please try to keep converstations civil and relatively on topic as per the UA.

Quote:
We appreciate that members come to our community at different places in their parenting journey and one of our goals is to welcome and educate new members. With that in mind, we expect our members to keep conversations civil and on topic, and uphold the integrity and diversity of the community.

As always you may flag a post that you are uncomfortable with or PM one of the forum mod's directly. Thank you for your cooperation :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissaof2 View Post

Here's my question:

While I'm rejecting the idea of circumcising.... is it possible that all this masturbating could cause paraphimosis?

Melissaof2, Welcome to MDC! We strive to be a welcoming community where we can openly discuss many topics and share our beliefs and opinions while keeping conversations civil. As to your question, it may be better answered in "The Case Against Circumcision" forum which you can find http://www.mothering.com/community/f/44/the-case-against-circumcision

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25********35****40**

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#34 of 36 Old 02-02-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissaof2 View Post

Hi,

It's 2:30 am and I've been reading threads trying to find an answer.

Interesting reading and great website, so I decided to join.

My son is 2.2 yrs, uncircumcised & has started "masturbating" in the past 2 weeks.

I read a thread here that didn't like the term "masturbating", but in this case there's no other word for it. He will lay on the floor on his front and vigorously hump the floor. He sweats and turns flushed, moans and lets out a sigh every now and then.

I am not a prude and don't have issues with his masturbation. It startled me because I wasn't expecting it at such a young age. He's verbal, but there's no way we can explain to him that he should go to his room. He just wouldn't understand, as we don't let him play in his room alone yet anyway. He does play in the living room sometimes while we are in the kitchen/bathroom....etc.. He's doing it in front of family, friends, he doesn't care he's a baby really. We try to distract him with toys and activities to overcome the social faux pas.... but whatchagonnado really?

He's not potty trained yet. He hasn't even begun to show any signs of retracting his foreskin. He had one infection (balinitis) 6 months ago (he got bathtub crayons as a present and I didn't realize they could cause an infection). While being seen by the Dr. for the infection, it was pointed out to us that he has a small praeputial sphincter. Two doctor's looked at it and recommended circumcision.

Here's my question:

While I'm rejecting the idea of circumcising.... is it possible that all this masturbating could cause paraphimosis?

I wouldn't worry about the masturbation.  A lot of rubbing might cause light irritation but not phimosis.  

Do visit the Case Against Circumcision forum.  I find the doctors' opinions highly suspect, and would definitely leave it alone if it is not causing real immediate physical problems.  It's not the cause of the infection but an offhand observation.  He's urinating okay?  I guess paraphimosis means "almost" phimosis that they can imagine in the possible future--and phimosis is already excessively diagnosed.  I can't imagine any reason to go through such a trauma now.  If this were to become something later (I highly doubt it would) then that would be the better time to address it.

Your instinct is right, and I'm sure it's fine to let his masturbation be and let him keep his parts as well.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

#35 of 36 Old 02-04-2013, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)

melissaof2 - welcome to Mothering. smile.gif

I'm sorry your question received such criticism.  I think they are things expressed out of genuine concern for your child but you certainly can discuss a topic of this nature without violating anyone's privacy.

Your post is a week old but I'm hoping you are still reading. I'd like to suggest that you visit our Ask the Experts forum, if you are still concerned about this. You can post your question there in a more general manner to find out what would be considered "excessive" or something of concern regarding a 2 year old child masturbating. 

All the best to you and your son. love.gif

#36 of 36 Old 03-01-2013, 03:05 PM

A 2 year old "masturbating" is far from a "sexual experience". Children at this age have zero concept of anything sexual. I've asked this question from a few males in my family already and they all laugh at how seriously women take this. Boys get erections from many things which stimulate the nerves in the area, this could even include a full bladder. It has absolutely nothing to do with seeing something, feelings, thoughts, etc. ALLL boys do this, if anyone is surprised by it or thinks it's not normal, ask a medical professional. Like someone else said, treat it like nose picking but certainly not anything sexual.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page