What extra-curriculars and ages? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-02-2013, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD age 11 is in dance (tap and hip hop) and she plays viola.
She took Girls on the Run last year and loved it, but we missed sign-ups this year.

DD age 6 is in dance (a triple class with ballet, tap, jazz) and plays soccer on Saturdays in the fall and spring. She is also in Daisies.
She is not loving soccer so probably won't be signing up next year.

Oldest started dance at age 5 and I could not understand how anybody would start their kids any younger than that. Then I had youngest, and I understood. She wanted to dance and begged to dance with her sister all the time. She started her own dance class at 2 1/2 years old.

I think the quantity of extra-curriculars is an individual thing and whatever works for your family is great.
I am happy with the girls in dance one night per week. Oldest plays viola but her lesson is in the mornings before school twice per week. Daisies is only one night every other week. This is about our limit. Youngest has to go with her dad on Wednesday evenings and every other weekend. Oldest has counseling once per week, or every other week, so this leaves us very few low-key evenings.
#2 of 6 Old 02-27-2013, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)

Just thought I'd bump your post up as it seems to have gotten lost in the forum crowd. redface.gif

Anyone else want to share their extracurriculars?

#3 of 6 Old 02-28-2013, 06:32 PM

I get scared to share our schedule. It is insane. My standard warning is that my oldest child struggles with a lot of issues and the only thing that comes easily to her and that she excels at, is sports. She loves them. Not all but quite a few, and because she is good, she very quickly ended up on numerous competitive teams. Right now we currently do snowboard, rock climbing and gymnastics, all teams. You really don't want to know how many days/hours a week we are at each one! She takes one lone tap class these days, leftover from her old competitive dancing days. She wants to keep tapping but i am seriously struggling to make it work, I pull her out of the gym early as it to make it happen. She does something 7 days a week from Thanksgiving until the first week in April when the mountain closes for the season. The rest of the year it is 5 days a week with the exception of meets. I am not ok with her schedule but is seriously the only reason why she wakes up every day, is to compete. 

6 year old DD2 take one tap/jazz class, a tumbling class since we are sitting at the gym during that hour anyway, and she just started a mini-cheerleading class this week. Not my thing at all but she saw them practicing at the gymnastics gym (our second home) one night and has begged me ever since to try it. And of course she loves it. eyesroll.gif I'm not amused how the girl who used to play soccer in cowboy boots ended up with these girls as kids but I guess that's karma for you! 

My three year old boy takes  pre-tpa/jazz class because he loves it. And a gym class for toddlers. I'm entertaining soccer or baseball this spring/summer for him. The girls both tried 2 seasons of both but neither one stuck. He struggles with low muscle tone so any extra movement/sports really help and he needs to learn the social aspect of things, ASD. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#4 of 6 Old 02-28-2013, 07:02 PM

My kindergartener is in ballet/tap/jazz/hip hop for 2 hours on Monday, soccer practice on Wednesday, gymnastics on Thursday, soccer games on Saturday.

My 4 year old (rising kindergartener) has soccer practice on Wednesday, gymnastics on Thursday, soccer games on Saturday.

We are taking an activity break for the summer - I'm very excited!  I think that next year my kids will start girl scouts / music lessons.  They are going to have to drop one of their other activities, though.  I've found that if we are any more scheduled than we are right now that my kids get grouchy and really miss the free time at home.

#5 of 6 Old 03-01-2013, 04:48 AM

I'm super big on letting them have tons of time for just PLAYING (but we homeschool so that happens regardless) 

DD does horseback riding every week for an hour in the afternoon (horses are her passion, when she's not riding we are visiting local farms, reading hose books, playing with horse toys etc..) 

Twice a month we also do 4-H Cloverbuds (it's on a Tuesday..) one day is at the library doing an indoor activity or craft and than we do a field trip (everyone in the group is a homeschooler so it's during the day..) besides that not much! We were going to do ballet BUT it turns out the class fell on the same day as Cloverbuds so I nixed it (we may start up when they offer a Weds class..) 

We also do some trial classes or random nature classes throughout the month, but above is our "set" classes. 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#6 of 6 Old 03-01-2013, 05:51 AM

on purpose, not much.

We take swim lessons as we find them, usually once or twice a semester and summer. Art classes (for 6 weeks) about once a semester. Gymnastics for little sister about once a semester. Going to try a soccer camp this summer for the twins.

I don't want my weekends/evenings taken up with sports. Everything we agree to do is both a financial and time commitment, plus the pull on the other family members since I'd have to bring everybody to everything, as no one is old enough to stay home alone.   I know It's not a popular point of view, but I was not busy as a child and have fond memories of doing what I wanted at home.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page