Letting sick child play outside? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 02-23-2013, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I know cold weather/ wet weather doesn't cause cold or flu, but what if your child is already sick?  Does playing outside in cold/ wet weather cause a mild cold to turn into something worse?

The sun came out today and so I bundled the boys up and let them outside.  Both have mild colds (no fever, no lethargy, good appetite, etc).  Then, being Oregon, in a flash it started raining (torrential downpour)!  They were having so much fun, I didn't make them come inside.  Instead they played for almost 2 hours in the rain (with intermittent sun breaks in between).

Brought them in, gave them a nice hot bath, warm jammies... Now I'm questioning my judgement a little... 

Google is no help.  

What do you all think?

#2 of 13 Old 02-23-2013, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I feel that if they felt well enough to play, then they were well enough to play.

meemee and One_Girl like this.

Bring back the old MDC
#3 of 13 Old 02-23-2013, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

mild cold-I would let them play outside.

#4 of 13 Old 02-24-2013, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If they're willing to try, I'd say let them try. At worst, they'll feel badly enough to come back in. At best, the cool air gets them going and some fresh air and exercise makes them feel better.

Or at least feel less bored!

My daughter would much rather feel badly outside than feel badly inside. If she's going to feel badly either way, I'd much rather her be where she's happiest!

#5 of 13 Old 02-24-2013, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'm not sure if there are any studies on this or not...but I think it really depends on your kid.  In general, I don't think playing in the rain is a good idea (if you're not wearing rain gear, and are getting wet) if you're sick.  Kids' enthusiasm for having fun overcomes their feelings of cold often.  That doesn't mean it's good for their bodies.  On the other hand, how sick do your kids get when they're sick?  My ds tends to start wheezing when the cold is in his lungs, and he's had pneumonia, bronchitis...and with him I am definitely very careful, because then it takes weeks to get him healthy again.  I am much more aggressive with keeping him warm and doing treatments for him when he's sick.  My other son seems to not get colds into his lungs as much, so if he wants to wear less clothes than I feel comfortable with, I'm ok with it.  I don't know if I'd let either one play in the rain though when they're sick.  

It is a little bit of a trial and error though with kids...if they've still got mild colds only after the rain, then you can probably do it again in the future; if they come down with something worse, then you'll be more careful...I don't think there's a hard and fast rule, really.  

Neera likes this.
#6 of 13 Old 02-24-2013, 10:51 AM

Personally I advocate warmth, rest, and chicken soups for colds, but wouldn't judge you for letting yours play.  You know your own kids best.  :)

#7 of 13 Old 02-24-2013, 11:00 AM

I let ds play outside if he is up to playing outside.  He'll let me know if he's too sick.

I do think that getting cold and miserable makes kids get sicker, but it is more the "miserable" that does it.  The other day ds was not dressed warmly enough and we ended up having to wait outside for someone for a long time and he was miserable.  He had just been a little stuffy, but once we got home he needed to lay down, under blankets, and drink tea.  I thought he was going to completely relapse into sickness.  He didn't and rebounded after an hour or so, but it was the extreme cold and misery that really made him *feel* all of his other aliments again.

#8 of 13 Old 02-24-2013, 12:05 PM

I'm a big proponent of fresh air for sick kids. I swear it somehow clears all the icky stuff out, fast, and gets them feeling better quickly! (Adults too, for that matter.)

However, if there's a bad cough, wheezing, asthma, etc., I'd be a little more reluctant if it's very cold or whatever.
meemee likes this.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#9 of 13 Old 02-24-2013, 01:37 PM

If they felt well enough, I'd be fine with it, so long as they weren't playing with neighborhood kids they could give the illness to.

#10 of 13 Old 02-24-2013, 02:14 PM

I read your post yesterday but didn't have much input. I do let me wheezy kid play outside in the cold and wouldn't regard it as a problem bc when he is wheezing the first thing I do is take him outside in the cold!

Anyway, I ran across this article and it make me think of your post. An interesting read, at the very least.

The babies who nap in sub-zero temperatures

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21537988

#11 of 13 Old 02-24-2013, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Wow what an interesting article!  I had forgotten that nordic parents do that... Thanks for the link!

Thanks for the input everyone.  There really wasn't any information to be found on the internet about my question, so I appreciate you all weighing in!

My boys so rarely get sick, and when they do it stays pretty mild.  I've never really had to be cautious with them in that regard.  Today they are no worse for wear, so we spent some time outside again.  Today the rain held off, and it is sunny and spring-like- I didn't want them to miss out on the sunshine!

Thanks everyone!

#12 of 13 Old 02-24-2013, 11:29 PM

Being in Oregon, I try to take advantage of the sun when it comes out. I would have let the kids play outside unless they were deathly ill or likely to be contagious.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#13 of 13 Old 02-25-2013, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

for my dd i have found playing outside actually helps her feel better and recover quickly. always has. 

in warmer weather she plays in the river. in colder weather we hike by the river. or she just plays outside.

honestly i dont even consider a milk cold - sickness. from 2 to 4 every winter dd always had a continuous runny nose from oct to february/march. after that maybe a couple of colds or so. 

when dd was really sick playing outside helped her recover. in fact in her recovery period i even took her to a movie - just change of scenery and doing something she enjoyed helped her recover quickly. i think you can get kinda stuck in recovery feeling horrible. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page