8 year old birthday party-- do i have to entertain? :D - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-27-2013, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm not the entertaining/games organizing type, but should I come up with something for my 8 year old daughter's party?  Any simple ideas on the matter?  I'm trying to keep it low key... we invited all 7 girls from her class plus another 4 friends.  I haven't had an RSVP from anyone yet, and the party is Saturday.  I'm tempted not to organize any entertainment, but don't want total chaos... some chaos is okay, though.  Any thoughts suggestions would be very much appreciated!!

#2 of 7 Old 02-27-2013, 09:49 AM

I think it might get a little wild if you don't have anything planned and just let them play, esp. at this time of year when the weather's not great for outside play. Maybe you could get some supplies for a few activities that require little supervision on your part- craft kits? Or a new social board game, something like apples to apples or one of those ones where you answer questions about your life...would you rather be stuck on a boat with your parents for two weeks or in the jungle with your little brother, stuff like that. Something to provide a little structure for their chit-chatting. Cupcake making party? Supplies to make individual pizzas?

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#3 of 7 Old 02-27-2013, 11:31 AM

No, you don't have to entertain. If you don't, expect that you will have 12 girls entertaining themselves. That likely means that different groups of girls will help themselves to all the toys, games, play equipment, dress up costumes, anything that looks like it is fun and interesting. They will run around the house and make messes. It may be more likely that there is some exclusionary play or arguments between some of the children if they want to play with the same toys. You might have more trouble rounding them all up when it is time to move on to food and cake and presents because there's no natural finishing point to their play. That's all fine, if you don't mind. 

For parties at home, I liked having an activity like a craft or a game. It gives the party a little focus, prevents the kids from pulling out all of our toys from the cupboards and shelves, and provides a loose schedule for the party. Once the activity is finished, you can move on to cake and presents and then the party is over. 

Games have been things like an "Amazing Race" scavenger hunt (involved some planning before the party), pick up hockey game (easiest party - involved no planning since everyone brought their own sticks), spa party (this was part of a sleepover, we did manicures, pedicures and facials with the girls) and dress up party (also easy since we had lots of costumes and hand-me-downs). Crafts have been painting a terra cotta pot for a flowering plant, decorating photo frames, and making a ceramic plate. 

We've never done the traditional party games - pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey etc. I preferred one major activity that needed a maximum of an hour to complete and then it was over. Then a half-hour for cake. The whole party is over in 2 hours, maybe 3 at most. That was more than enough excitement for all of us. 

YMMV. 

#4 of 7 Old 02-28-2013, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

Great advice, thank you!  I like the idea of a "loose schedule" and an activity that doesn't require much oversight.  I will try getting some jewelry making supplies and set up a station.  Wish me luck!  :) 

#5 of 7 Old 02-28-2013, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

In my experience, they will be looking for some kind of party activity, but that can be something they basically handle themselves. I don't think it requires entertaining. But like if you got a specific craft just for the party for them to do, I think they'd feel like it was a party and not just hanging out.

#6 of 7 Old 02-28-2013, 06:56 AM

8yo girls? I'd pick up some (inexpensive) nail polish, nail stickers, etc. and let them do nails. Set up stations around the table, and let each girl "do" one nail per girl. Let them get creative. 

Even my tomboy (at 8) loved this. 

#7 of 7 Old 02-28-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernjkly View Post

Great advice, thank you!  I like the idea of a "loose schedule" and an activity that doesn't require much oversight.  I will try getting some jewelry making supplies and set up a station.  Wish me luck!  :) 

Jewelry making sounds like a terrific idea. A craft like that is nice because you can skip the goody bag. Unless you really want to send them home with both. 

Happy birthday to your DD! Hope you all have a good time at the party. 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page