8 year old's poor 'aim' when peeing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-14-2013, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My eight year old son has always been rather messy when peeing, it frequently seems to end up on the rim or on the floor, which I am getting very tired of! I have spoken with him about it often and he's promised to be careful, but he says sometimes it's hard to control the direction.

I'm a single mom, but I spoke to my sister about it and she said her two boys and husband occasionally have poor 'aim', but she said it's infrequent, and just something that happens with males.

I have been wondering whether my son's problem has something to do with him being uncircumcised. I know my nephews are both circumcised, and they don't seem to have any problem.

Should I have taught my son to pull back his foreskin to pee? I don't recall reading or being told anything about this. His foreskin started to retract when he was about 4 I think, but I only ever taught him to do it in the shower.

Any help would be appreciated!

#2 of 2 Old 03-15-2013, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son's urologist (he had an undescended testicle at birth) and his ped told me and ds that as soon as his foreskin retracts (which is did around 4-ish) that he should retract when peeing.  I don't think he actually does (he's 5.5) but aim only seems to be an issue when he's not paying attention so I didn't think of that as the reasoning.

Some other ideas: asking him to sit when he pees and point his penis downward (sitting to pee is common in many places around the world).

Putting Cherrios in the toilet for him to practice aiming at.

Making him clean the bathroom. (at 8 this is totally doable.  I think I was cleaning the bathroom by 8.  You can always do it together if that seems like a big leap for him.  You do the shower/tub and floor, he does the sink and toilet).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page