best preschool curriculum for a highly sensitive child - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 04-18-2013, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a highly sensitive 4yr DD who is starting preschool this coming fall. I'm in desperate need of advice!!! She gets overwhelmed in large groups of kids and loud noices, extrememly timid among other hsc issues. I've been searching all sorts of preschool curriculum in my area, trying to figure out which would be best for her. I've looked at Montessori, Reggio and High Reach learning approach and I am so overwhelmed on which to choose that would be a best fit for my hsc and not overwhelm her and make her dislike learning and school. She's a very imaginative child and very creative, she tried dance class once and loved it (there was a friend of hers in the class that's the way she would try it, but loved it! Actually helped her cope) Btw I'm planning on keeping her in private school thru at least 2nd grade.
#2 of 2 Old 04-19-2013, 05:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

The best course of action is to observe a class, perhaps more than once, before you enrol her. You'll need to find out if the atmosphere in the class suits her needs. Even if a particular method seems like it would be a good fit, you won't know whether the implementation actually works for her. 

My dc attended Montessori. Their classrooms had a calm, gentle, focused energy despite having fairly large class sizes for pre-school. There was about 20 students and 2 teachers. The students were encouraged to regulate themselves. When the noise became too loud during the 2 hour work periods, a student would ring a bell to get everyone's attention and suggest that they work more quietly to prevent distracting each other. However, reading and hearing about other experiences in different Montessori schools, I know that other schools don't promote this kind of classroom environment. The only way to know whether a class will suit your child is to visit, observe closely and ask lots of questions. 

Good luck with your search. 

falcmom likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page