When does it get easier to parent two kids?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-08-2013, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm a lucky mama to 2 sweet boys, 1 and 4.  It's been a real transition for us going from a family or 3 to a family of 4, and I'm still finding that I'm carrying a lot of guilt/anxiety about parenting 2 kids 'properly'.  I often feel that there is not enough of me to go around, and that both my kids are suffering because I can't give them what they need/want.  My older son has had a lot of transitional issues, and lately doesn't seem to want me around.  He prefers daddy to play with him, put him to bed, and console him when he's sad.  When he's angry he won't let me comfort him, telling me to get away, that he doesn't want to see me etc.  I've really tried to give him the attention he needs, and often feel like I'm sort of passively neglecting the baby because I've been so intent on making sure my older son didn't feel displaced by him.  I now feel like the baby hasn't gotten enough of me because of it and on and on it goes.  I'd love to have another baby one day, but don't know how I could possibly give a third child what it needs when I have such issues doing it for 2.  Do these guilty feelings ever go away? How do you moms with multiple children do it?

#2 of 6 Old 05-08-2013, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

I was in your shoes, not wanting to neglect dd2 but wanting dd1 to feel like to wasn't being shortchanged, and dd1 made it so hard and the road so long.  Some kids make things more difficult-- my older daughter is such a child.  Even at 8, she has never gotten past her feeling of betrayal when I presented dd2.  And both are forever needing things to be "even" and "fair" and all this seems like an extension of all the difficulties we've had before.

I'm not predicting the same outcome for you, but I know that some kids make it easy to know when you are doing things right, and some kids make it harder.  And I know firsthand that there exist children who make things difficult to do anything right--mine!

I'm not sure if my post is reassuring or not!  I just wanted you to know you aren't alone in feeling the way you do.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#3 of 6 Old 05-10-2013, 12:15 AM

"When he's angry he won't let me comfort him, telling me to get away, that he doesn't want to see me etc. "

When he tells you to go away, maybe he needs some space? Give him the space, let him know where you'll be and be there for him when he decides he needs you. And don't feel guilty when he doesn't want you to comfort him, his feelings aren't necessarily your responsibility. While it's important to treat your children well, you can't control how they feel.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#4 of 6 Old 05-19-2013, 07:27 PM

Uuuugh I wish I knew! I have a 7 month old and a 3 year old. My son is spirited, full of pee and vinegar, never ever stops. Everyday it seems like someone says: "I don't know how you do this!" My daughter is a super easy baby. I am feeling down tonight because lately my son has been backing away from me a bit, no t wanting me close as much, even saying "I don't love you Mommy" twice:(greensad.gif I know it's because I have been stressed (husband has worked 4/6 weeks across the country since 8 months into my pregnancy. I am on my own for 4 weeks at a time and while my kids have my parents and siblings around a lot, my spn seems a bit affected by the changes and likely my tone of voice sometimes doesn't help. It's so tough and sometimes I'm not nearly im committed as nice as I wish I was:( i am going to trying to be more patient and its easier as they grow.

Mama to Callahan 05/18/10 cold.gifteapot2.GIF
#5 of 6 Old 05-26-2013, 11:24 AM

For me, when my kids hit 1 and 4, it started to get more manageable. My eldest weaned. They started playing together more. I hope this will happen for you soon.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#6 of 6 Old 05-26-2013, 11:52 AM

5 and 3.  Up until now it was so hard.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

Tags
Family , Parenting

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page