Tintin comic books for 6 yr old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-15-2013, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Would the level of the TinTin series be too high for a 6-yr-old? Do you know of any other comic book series appropriate for that age?

Tia

When the thoughts we think are the same as the words we speak, others will feel our integrity ~ Unknown
#2 of 9 Old 05-15-2013, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can't help with the TinTin series but my brother and I grew up on Asterix and Lucky Luke comics. I'm not sure about the age/reading difficulty but we started off reading them with a parent and transitioned to reading them on our own as we learned/matured. I think it really depends on your kiddo and what interests him/her since that motivates kids to reach beyond their comfort level... You may simply have to help with specific words for a while. Ok so maybe this wasn't a useful reply but I always see TinTin next to my beloved Asterix at stores and couldn't help replying smile.gif
#3 of 9 Old 05-16-2013, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycheattraffic View Post

Can't help with the TinTin series but my brother and I grew up on Asterix and Lucky Luke comics. I'm not sure about the age/reading difficulty but we started off reading them with a parent and transitioned to reading them on our own as we learned/matured. I think it really depends on your kiddo and what interests him/her since that motivates kids to reach beyond their comfort level... You may simply have to help with specific words for a while. Ok so maybe this wasn't a useful reply but I always see TinTin next to my beloved Asterix at stores and couldn't help replying smile.gif

Thanks. I grew up on Tintin. I think I have read maybe one Asterix and I don't remember what it was about. I think he's Scandinavian too?? :) I could buy one and read it or borrow from the library. I was just wondering if any 6 yr olds are really into it. I can't remember at what age I was reading it.

When the thoughts we think are the same as the words we speak, others will feel our integrity ~ Unknown
#4 of 9 Old 05-16-2013, 06:15 AM

I think they are written at a 3-4 grade level, if you're meaning the original books by herge.  I think my twins found them at early 7 yrs old. It would be a stretch in terms of both reading level and attention span unless you have an advanced reader. The worst that will happen is you'll end up reading it aloud, so I say go for it.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#5 of 9 Old 05-16-2013, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Pajama View Post

I think they are written at a 3-4 grade level, if you're meaning the original books by herge.  I think my twins found them at early 7 yrs old. It would be a stretch in terms of both reading level and attention span unless you have an advanced reader. The worst that will happen is you'll end up reading it aloud, so I say go for it.

Thanks. She is an advanced reader.

#6 of 9 Old 05-17-2013, 08:55 AM

We have a huge set of them at home (my husband is a fan) and my 6 year old picks one up now and again.  She likes them but they aren't on her "love" list.

#7 of 9 Old 05-18-2013, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar2974 View Post

We have a huge set of them at home (my husband is a fan) and my 6 year old picks one up now and again.  She likes them but they aren't on her "love" list.

Thanks. I'll experiment and see if she likes it.

#8 of 9 Old 05-21-2013, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

I discovered Tintin when I was 5.  They weren't above my reading ability, but I was reading chapter books then.  My son, who is 8 now and more typical in reading skills, finds some unfamiliar words in Tintin, but he has never been upset by anything in the stories; I think they are appropriate for young kids.

Other comics he enjoys are Little Lulu (from the 1940s, recently reprinted in anthologies) and Calvin & Hobbes.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#9 of 9 Old 05-23-2013, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnviroBecca View Post

I discovered Tintin when I was 5.  They weren't above my reading ability, but I was reading chapter books then.  My son, who is 8 now and more typical in reading skills, finds some unfamiliar words in Tintin, but he has never been upset by anything in the stories; I think they are appropriate for young kids.

Other comics he enjoys are Little Lulu (from the 1940s, recently reprinted in anthologies) and Calvin & Hobbes.

We borrowed a Powerpuff comic book and she found it a little difficult although she didn't want to return it but see if she will be able to read it. So, will see if Tintin holds her attention.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page