6 year old is impossible to wake up in the morning - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-21-2013, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son is in Kindergarten. He is a sweet highly sensitive, intense, bright spirited boy.

He is doing Kindergarten second time bcs I felt that he was not ready to do 1st grade.

In fact,  I regret sending him to Kindergarten the first time. He definitely was not ready. We should have left him in preschool one more year.

So, this year he is doing much better academically and otherwise. 

However, being a spirited child he has his own biological clock which refuses to follow socially acceptable norm. 

Bed time is a difficult time but mornings are hell....

This year is much better than last year but it is still a struggle every day.

I get exhausted going though this every day.

I have to come to his bed 3-5 times in the morning to wake him up.

I have to remind him many times to dress, eat his breakfast, get ready.

We could get up early morning and do everything right and then the last minute he could throw a tantrum saying something like " i do not want to go to school" or " you are being mean to me", etc.

Sometimes turning on TV with cartoons helps to get him out of the bed but then he gets mad when i say "please, pause it, get dressed, eat your breakfast".

We are constantly late 5-10 minutes.

The teachers are understanding bcs it is Kindergarten but i am pretty sure that the next year it is going to be a big issue.

We are considering switching schools and enrolling him into Waldorf.

But he has to get up to be on time there as well.

I have to add that I myself have difficult time  getting up early in the morning.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Embarrassed and exhausted mom 

#2 of 5 Old 05-21-2013, 01:56 PM

What is it that makes bed time difficult? I think that will be the answer to most of your issue - perhaps he isn't getting enough sleep?

I would probably be hard core. You get out of bed at this time, these are your steps to get ready for school and in this order and if I have to stand here while you do all of them then so be it. I think the other option is letting him do it at is own pace and if he isn't on time he faces the consequence. Right now nothing is happening when he is late but IMO something should happen. At 5+ he can easily understand the consequence of his actions. But you must be consistent, which is often the hardest part of parenting :)

#3 of 5 Old 05-22-2013, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
If he is overtired it probably is more difficult for his body to settle and sleep. It's a tough cycle. I really have found that sleep begets sleep. Easier said than done(!)

You are not alone in this.

In fact there is a movement to delay school start times in the US. With study results to back up the benefits of doing so.

If you search: delay school start times......later school start times...... there is some fascinating info.
#4 of 5 Old 05-22-2013, 04:11 PM

I agree with focusing on the bedtime.  My 5 year old is asleep by, at least, 8pm with bedtime routine starting about 7pm.

One story, a drink and lights out. 

Dark blinds are a blessing!

Try to quiet down the rest of the house.  Maybe turn off the tv for an hour, so he doesn't think he's missing anything. 

Sometimes I say, "you don't have to sleep--you just have to stay in bed"  LOL

Or with my older DS I just let him read until he's tired out.  (he's sent to bed at 8pm)

Both kids are up without an alarm clock...we haven't needed one yet.

Good luck! 

#5 of 5 Old 05-23-2013, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I am v. sure I've posted about this a few months ago probably at the start of school. We are at a better place now. Dd was definetly not motivated then. Here are a few things that I found could have caused it. She didn't like the lunch I was sending. She would stay hungry and that and on v. low energy. I switched to school lunch (which she loves) 3 times a week. School work was too easy for her. She's advanced. Now it has become a little more challenging although not enough. She has made a few friends and is seated next to the kid she likes the most in class. She herself had requested the teacher to move her to her friend's table. The teacher tends to change places from time to time and during one of the shufflles moved them next to each other. She still doesn't get up on her own though. It's not like she's all excited about school but at least both dh and I are not spending 15 minutes trying to get her out of bed while she kicked and elbowed us and got us all mad. I would be drained for the whole day in those 15-20 mins.

Let me make sure that my thoughts, words and actions are beneficial to the scene in which I find myself ~ Unknown

Tags
Sleep , Children

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page