Sick half the time - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-26-2013, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is more of a vent than anything. My son is sick again - fever of 104, coughing, stuffy nose and sore throat. He started transitional kindergarten in January and has been sick half the time. No exaggeration. He started grammar school and then got sick the next week. He was sick off and on for eight weeks, mostly on. He would be out of school for a week, we'd put him back in, and then he'd get sick again. Out for a week, put him back in, sick again. Since March it's been slightly better, but a couple weeks ago I was driving us to Disneyland and I hear sniffles in the back seat. He had a runny nose. Low grade fever the three days we were in Anaheim. Sigh. And now a week after he's been well, he's sick again!  I am losing my mind. 

I send wipes soaked in alcohol with him to school so he wipes his hands before eating. We wipe hands right after school when I pick him up. I don't know what else to do! He's a healthy kid... when he's healthy. Haha!  

I am actually considering home schooling just so he can stay healthy and away from those kids that are sent to school when they are obviously not well. But on the other hand, I need to do what I can to keep him healthy. He should be fighting these bugs off and not getting sick just because he is within 30 feet of someone that is sneezing. eyesroll.gif

Snowflower likes this.
#2 of 9 Old 05-26-2013, 10:45 AM

I'm sorry you are going through this. I wonder if maybe he needs there are medications or diet ingredients that are weakening his immune system. Does he eat a lot of processed food, dairy, gluten, etc? Or has he recently had vaccinations, antibiotics or other medications? I would probably start him on a good daily probiotic and get him plenty of rest, exercise, and a heathy diet ( organic if possible). Vitamin D3 at least 2,000 iu per day.
#3 of 9 Old 05-26-2013, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maos211 View Post

I'm sorry you are going through this. I wonder if maybe he needs there are medications or diet ingredients that are weakening his immune system. Does he eat a lot of processed food, dairy, gluten, etc? Or has he recently had vaccinations, antibiotics or other medications? I would probably start him on a good daily probiotic and get him plenty of rest, exercise, and a heathy diet ( organic if possible). Vitamin D3 at least 2,000 iu per day.

He takes no medications. He takes a multi-vitamin occasionally (when we remember). He does eat gluten but not like other "typical" families; my husband has a gluten allergy so we use rice flour, millet, etc a lot. He rarely eats dairy (I'm vegan) though he does eat it. I think he might have had some dairy the night before he got sick, so I wonder if that hindered his immune system. shrug.gif I would love an excuse (besides animal cruelty) to not have dairy in the house at all! He was on antibiotics months ago during the first 8-week round of sicknesses (for his ear ache), but none since, so it's been 2.5 months since abx. He runs around at school during recess, but alas, there's only one recess and when we get home, it's naptime.  And when he wakes, he goes outside again. Lots of outside time without sunscreen (I don't believe in the daily use of chemical sunscreens), i.e., lots of sun exposure.

The only factor I think is an issue is sleep. He does everything he can to stay up once we leave the room at night. I hear him walking around and know he doesn't go to sleep right away. Then in the morning, I have to wake him for school, and he's usually sleepy but in good spirits. He naps still (he's 5.5 yo), and when I try to ween him from his afternoon naps, he tends to get sick (happened three times so far). I noticed he goes to sleep better at night when he doesn't have an afternoon nap, but I can't seem to ween him from his naps! So... I dunno. 

#4 of 9 Old 05-26-2013, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is this his first year in a school-like environment, like surrounded by other kids? A lot of kids get sick over and over again their first year but their immune systems get used to being around germy kids and it's better after that year. I hope this is his first year because I can't imagine going through that more than one year! Wow! And at DIsney too greensad.gif I can imagine how bad that must have felt.
#5 of 9 Old 05-26-2013, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post

Is this his first year in a school-like environment, like surrounded by other kids? A lot of kids get sick over and over again their first year but their immune systems get used to being around germy kids and it's better after that year. I hope this is his first year because I can't imagine going through that more than one year! Wow! And at DIsney too greensad.gif I can imagine how bad that must have felt.

Yes, this is his first time at elementary school (he began Trans-Kindergarten when he turned 5 in January). He was in preschool before that, and I thought that was bad. Was I wrong!  He went from a class of 12 (and a school of 25 kids) to a class of 22 (and a school of 300?).  I hope next year is better. I keep having to cancel lessons and playdates. I feel like I can't plan anything. Anyway, enough of my woes. Sounds like many kids go through this.Thank you for replying thumb.gif I just can't see the light at the end of the tunnel yet. 

#6 of 9 Old 05-28-2013, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

We were in the same boat. Actually, here's the funny part. On the 1st day of school dd was sick. Sick before she got it from other kids. :) She started in September. And the fevers went on and on until Feb, I think. Just around that time I was reading about limited sick leave in schools. Really? So checked with the class teacher and found out she was maxed out although we didn't get any notice but it's good I checked. Since then we had allergies but no fever. And then on Friday night, the night before we were leaving for a trip for the long weekend, we have a 100.8. I raced to the doctor to get antibiotic as we didn't want her to be sick more for her sake than ours. The antibiotic wasn't needed this time, thankfully. But the fever lasted until Sat. night. Just the 2nd time she recovered on her own. I couldn't do much diet wise as she will not eat her vegetables and likewise I am vegan but dairy comes into our house for her.

Positive thoughts generate power, negative ones waste it ~ Unknown
#7 of 9 Old 05-29-2013, 11:18 AM

Try not to blame it on "those kids who are sent to school sick". Most of the time people are contagious even before symptoms of the illness are present. I assume you are doing all you can as a parent to ensure your child had a strong and healthy immune system. However, sometime bodies are simply very susceptible to germs/viruses.... I'm sure as he gets older he will not be so susceptible.

#8 of 9 Old 05-29-2013, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

believe it or not being continually sick is actually a good thing - a good immunity builder.

your son has been very sheltered. now he is out and about. catching things. sooo normal.

dd started dc at 2. from 2 to 4 every single winter she had a cold. maybe fever once or twice - but bad enough colds to stay home some days. she had a constant runny nose from about november to february. she got the flu when she was 3 and gave it to me. 

she then started K right before her 5th bday. and suddenly around christmas i realised wait a minute. she hasnt been sick. she is 10 now. i can count on one hand how many times she has been sick. its mind blowing amazing. 

then at 6 she got BO. horrible horrible BO. she had always had gas. lots of it. didnt think anything of it. peds couldnt say why - tests revealed nothing. at 10 she became allergic to gluten and dairy. severe stomach aches. her gassiness GONE. BO not soo stinky any more. mind blowing. 

my mom tells me same thing happened to my bro. two years of school were hell during winter. and then boom. suddenly no illness anymore.

what is the genetics of your family. my dd follows ours. in our family one rarely gets sick and when they get sick they get very very VERY sick and heal super fast too. so we all get a fever of 104 and 105. in fact we have 3 generations of the same story of riding our bicycles around when mother touched us to bring us in after upteem requests and discovered we were burning up with 104 fever. on both sides of dd's family they are all got lots of illness the first 2 or 3 years of school and then super healthy till they reach their 60s and then all hell brook loose. 

my mom's brother has asthma and was always sick and has had major hospitalizations when he crossed 50. his son also has asthma and also falls sick very very easily. 

so look at family genetics. that has a lot to say. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#9 of 9 Old 05-30-2013, 01:37 PM

Oops!  Wrong post!

Tags
Children , School , Health

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page