HELP! my child is the most unreasonable sick kid ever! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-30-2013, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

HI all!

Maybe this should go in health. 

I'm really at the end of my rope.  every time my daughter (5.5) gets sick (which thankfully isn't often), she is completely and utterly impossible.  She refuses to drink any fluids, even hot water with just honey (which is just super sweet and she likes), will not take any medicines (herbs, teas, throat lozenges etc) anything that will make her better.  she often refuses to eat. If i try massaging her or asking her if i can give her anything she kicks and screams at me. 

And then she just stays sick for a long time.  and the whole time she is sick she will scream and kick me unless i am actively cuddling her 100% of the time, which obviously i can't do as i'm a single working-from-home mama.  

She is a generally very spirited child and we have worked to help her work with her anger, but when she's sick none of those strategies work.  I have tried empathy (i know you don't like being sick, this will help you get better/i know you're scared the medicine will hurt etc), bribery, doing non-invasive things like putting on a humidifier, patience and stay generally super calm and compassionate the entire time. 

Every time I try something she screams, even if it's not directly on her body.  I don't know how to help her and i can't just have a super sick and velcro child for weeks because she is too stubborn.  I feel like a horrible mother and it's so hard to see my child sick and there's nothing i can seemingly do...

any recommendations would be helpful! 

#2 of 11 Old 05-30-2013, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I suggest branching out to foods she loves but rarely gets. When my DD is sick I give her whatever she will eat, usually that is juice boxes, pudding, ice cream, and chips. She gets better quickly and is back to eating healthy after that. I used to only do healthy food but she became incredibly lethargic to the point of needing medical intervention and the doctor said to feed her whatever she would eat. It really does make a noticeable difference in the duration.
#3 of 11 Old 05-30-2013, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the advice.  I have been just giving her whatever she wants to eat, which isn't very much right now... 

#4 of 11 Old 05-30-2013, 03:33 PM

When my son is sick he also refuses to eat. I honor that, and keep cool water available for him to sip, so he doesn't dehydrate. Rest and water usually works. Honey, a sugar, suppresses the immune system, and will keep her sick for longer. The same is true for juices. The only tea I give him is unsweetened ginger-raspberry, if he has nausea and vomiting. Even that, he will only take a sip, if necessary. Usually, he gets well quickly when I honor his body. Good luck.
#5 of 11 Old 05-30-2013, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I bought my son these little stainless steel straws off of amazon. They are reusable and so awesome. For some reason he is more willing to sip thru a straw than just drinking from a cup. I will get Recharge (like natural Gatorade) and put probiotics in it for him to sip. Or raw honey with lemon and warm water. I have always read that raw honey is good when you are sick, but not cooked honey.

Does she like Popsicles? Maybe some chicken broth?

You've probably tried all this stuff. I'm sorry. What a difficult situation. :-/

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#6 of 11 Old 05-30-2013, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009ZOYCA6/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1369958671&sr=8-3&pi=SL75

Awesome straws!!!

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#7 of 11 Old 05-30-2013, 09:55 PM

OP, you said she doesn't get sick often. When she does get sick, is it for a lengthy time, or does she get over it in 24-48 hours?
#8 of 11 Old 05-31-2013, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

here's an update and while the process was no fun, i think the result was good. 

We ended up having ot go to the hospital as she was showing signs of dehydration and refused any liquids.  the doctors gave her something to numb her throat and she started drinking and eating.  today, she is still sick but is the most cooperative sick kid ever.  she has learned that she *has* to do the things she needs to do to help her body while she's sick or we go to the hospital, which wasn't a horrible experience but definitely wasn't her idea of a good time.  

Anyways, thanks for the tips.  :)

#9 of 11 Old 05-31-2013, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Glad to hear your dd is doing better....it sounds like maybe her throat was really sore, and that's why she wouldn't drink anything?  I wonder if you can talk to her when she's not sick and ask her what she feels like when she's sick.  I've also picked up some books (Magic School Bus and other science type ones) to read about germs and how they get into our bodies and make us sick.  And just in general, I chat with my kid about how our bodies are made out of mostly water and our cells can't function properly without it.  I don't all that to manipulate him, but I think maybe when he's sick, it does make him realize that sometimes Mama's suggestions are to make him feel better...not just random things.

#10 of 11 Old 06-01-2013, 04:24 AM

I didn't understand from the original post that she was currently sick. I apologize for thinking this was a theoretical discussion.

In the future, if her throat is so sore, perhaps ice or frozen tea/drink/broth chips would be helpful. The cold would temporarily numb the throat. Hot items would have the opposite effect.
#11 of 11 Old 06-01-2013, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'm glad the trip to the hospital worked, although sorry it came to that. I have the exact same issues with DS when he is sick. He wants the TLC, but not the remedies to help him feel better. He knows all about germs and how they get into his body and make him sick, and he says it's no fun. Each time he's sick (which isn't often) we talk about how if he gets too sick he'll have to go to the hospital and it won't be fun, so he needs to help himself get better. But he WILL NOT do anything to help himself unless it's taking medicine, which he loves, and which I refuse to give him unless it's a prescription or he's in real pain. I don't do Tylenol/Advil for low-grade fevers, etc. but he won't keep a cool cloth on his head to help himself feel better. It's extremely frustrating. I hope next time she's sick she'll remember the hospital and be more cooperative for you!

Tags
Children , Health

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page