Mothering Forum banner

Sandal Recommendations?

Tags
children
595 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  ~cassie 
#1 ·
I am curious to know about any sandals you have for your elementary-aged kiddo that you love. I am looking for some for my 10 and 6-year-old sons (sizes 13-5). In the past they have had keens, but I really can't stand them (annoyingly difficult to put on, not at all flexible/light, become very stinky with time), and refuse to buy them again (they are widely available where we live and seem to be what everyone wears). My daughters wear saltwater sandals, and they are fantastic, but "too girly" for my boys' taste (sigh). And my littlest guy wears soft star sandals, which are also fantastic, but "too babyish" for my older kids.

I really love minimalist shoes, and just want to find something FLEXIBLE and COOL (as in temperature) that offers some amount of protection.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Lex

#2 ·
Someone just gave us Teva sandals that their kids didn't like for some reason. They seem awesome, and my kid likes them, and has no problem putting them on and taking them off by himself. They're an older season, so I don't see them on Teva's website, but they've got a covered toe and seem very light and good in the water too.

#3 ·
My kids have had Tevas in the past, and they were fine. But once they tried crocs, they never wanted to wear anything else. I had always assumed crocs would be too hot to wear all the time in summer, so we never tried them until I picked up a couple of used pairs for free. They are too hot for me and I don't find them terribly comfortable; I'd much rather wear my Tevas. But the kids (who are 7 and 10) love crocs. Partly I think it's that they're so easy to put on, but they also claim they're very comfortable. When we visited Arizona recently, they did find crocs tended to get sand and grit in them and sometimes sneakers were a better choice. But in Vermont, they're happy to wear crocs everywhere, even hiking on steep, rocky mountain trails. (The Croc brand holds up a lot better than the knock-offs, but the kids seem to find knock-off brands equally comfortable.)

#4 ·
I am watching this thread! Like the original poster, Keens are what all the kids where around here, so I bought some for both my boys. My five year old HATES them because dirt and sand get in them. He is absolutely opposed so the idea of sandals and wears slip-on shoes with socks everyday. Now that the weather is warming up, we will be visiting local kids fountains and pools regularly and I need to find a pair of sandals he won't throw a fit over :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.