What are the best kids' swimsuits? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-07-2013, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Where do you get your kids' swimsuits? What style do you like?

I was looking at a few places online but they seemed pricey. I don't know if it's worth paying more of if they're not any better than what I'd get at a big box store.

What experiences with swimsuits have you had?
#2 of 6 Old 06-07-2013, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It doesn't matter a lot where you get them, but my biggest piece of advice is to get a sun protective swimsuit with a decent amount of coverage - ie, at least the same amount of coverage as shorts and a t shirt. This is for both boys and girls. Yes, you still have to put on some sunscreen, but you need to use a lot less, and at least some of their sun protection will never wash off in the water. My 2 year old DD has a sun protective suit with a turtleneck style neck, long sleeves, and long legs. The size is actually a bit small for her (I bought it last summer and it was too big), so the legs are more like capri length, but it still provides an awful lot of coverage. She wore similar suits her other two summers as well. I've gotten all of her suits from www.coolibar.com. They're pricey, but I can't find anything else I like in her size at stores or other websites. It's tougher to find sun protective suits for girls. More companies are coming out with tankinis that include "rash guard" shirts, but they still have the traditional swimsuit bottom. That doesn't satisfy me.

My 8 year old DS this year has normal swim trunks and a long sleeved rash guard from Land's End. I could have gotten as good a combination for him from a big box store probably, but he really liked the style, and they had a sale going on. It's possible, though more difficult, to find long sleeved boys swim shirts at big box stores. This isn't a deal breaker with me at his age, but the long sleeves are nice.

I also want to interject that I highly recommend sun protective swimwear for adults as well. DH and I each have sun protective swim shirts from Coolibar. He pairs his with his swim trunks, and I wear mine over my suit.

Of course, on the small chance you'll only be swimming inside, none of this applies :). I still, however, want to stay that I find bikinis on little girls to be tasteless. For indoor swimming, I like to go with a one piece suit in whatever pattern my DD likes. She currently has a green Tinkerbell themed suit for indoor swimming.

Happy transplanted resident of the "not so deep" Southsmile.gif. Married to a great man for 9 years and countinglove.gif. Mom to two wonderful gifts from God: DS (8) jog.gifalways moving, atypically thinking, ballet dancing boy and long-awaited DD (2) fly-by-nursing1.gifcuddly, curious, fearless, book loving girl.

#3 of 6 Old 06-07-2013, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

I pretty strongly prefer 2-piece suits, but tankinis or rash guards, for my girls. They both prefer them if they need to use the potty.

Otherwise I agree that rash guards are nice. One of my kids burns easily and I find they're really necessary with her. I haven't seen long-sleeve ones though. I'll have to search.
#4 of 6 Old 06-07-2013, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
We just use a box store for them. My DD grows so fast she needs a new one every yea anyways. We got her swimsuit for swim team from a store that specializes in swimming gear though and it is much nicer but for regular swimming anywhere works fine
#5 of 6 Old 06-07-2013, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
We hit the land's end swimsuit sale. They're a great price on sale, and good quality.

I like the long sleeve rash guard for my 3 year old, in theory. In practice, the extra wet fabric makes her FREEZE. This kid turns into a shuddering, shivering mess in 95 degree weather at the beach. It's frustrating.
#6 of 6 Old 06-07-2013, 03:25 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me

I like Land's End for both kids. Good quality and nice sales. We all wear full length swim shirts in the water and beach/play. DS wears shorts. DD wears either a little swim skirt or a regular bathing suit on top of the swim shirt. The bathing suit on top of the swim shirt was her own solution to wanting a range of unsuitable bathing suits.

I LOVE the sleeves for sun protection. It really cuts down on sunscreen use/time/aggravation/burns. We have hoodie towels for the beach to change into if needed.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page