Three year old is behind - going for assessment - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-11-2013, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all, my 3 year 2 month old son is behind in expressive and receptive language, and has some limited playskills.

I have him in a nursery school that helps kids with communication delays, and he is going for an assessment in 3 weeks. I am SO nervous!

He communicates his needs well. He always tells me verbally what he wants to eat, play with etc. but if I asked him "how was school today?" He would not answer. He cannot have a conversation. He knows is ABCs, and 123s he can write them and say them and has great fine/gross motor skills

He s not (yet) actively social, just an observer.

Does anyone have any eperience or knowledge of assessments? I want to help my son in anyway I can, but its hard to imagine your kid "analyzed"

Thanks
#2 of 3 Old 06-11-2013, 07:28 PM

Both of my children have been part of our state early intervention programs which has included the typical assessments as well as more advanced for speech, developmental, and OT assessments. The therapists make it fun for the kids and everything is very matter of fact. They are on your team, they want to see where your son is compared to typically developing kids and get him some help if he needs it. If he needs some help they will come up with a plan and you can give input too.

#3 of 3 Old 07-16-2013, 09:55 AM

Most assessments for children are picture prompts or play based. Often you will be in the same room, so it's usually not too bad, however the stranger factor and novel setting throws some kids off.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page