Toe walking with tight Achilles tendons in four year old - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-26-2013, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My four year old has been toe walking for over a year (maybe even two?  I can't remember when it started).  I mentioned it to his doctor and she said his Achilles tendons are tight, but she didn't seem that concerned.  Just said to try to get him to do some stretches and walk on his heels.  Then she mentioned he could always have surgery when he's older if necessary!!!

Does anyone have any experience with this or know specific exercises to do?  She just mentioned stretching the foot back and heel-walking.

Thanks!

#2 of 9 Old 06-26-2013, 04:04 PM

I'm unclear - did the doctor do an exam and determine that his AT is tight or was just a verbal response to your concern? If your child is consistently toe walking at 4 yo I suggest pursuing treatment, more than stretching at home. Wearing shoes most of the time is a one good not very invasive way to prevent constant toe walking. Some children need braces or casting. Sometimes surgery is required. You may consider an OT evaluation for neurological issues.

#3 of 9 Old 06-26-2013, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

She did an exam.  What you mentioned is why I'm a bit concerned.  The things I'm reading online seem to indicate a greater response than hers.  But I trust her and she seemed pretty unconcerned. I'm trying to get more information!

#4 of 9 Old 06-26-2013, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I think your doctor is being negligent. Please consider a visit with an OT or maybe a podiatrist.

Bring back the old MDC
#5 of 9 Old 06-27-2013, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Did your son use a baby walker when younger?
#6 of 9 Old 06-27-2013, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Nope.

#7 of 9 Old 06-27-2013, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Blessed--I am definitely considering it.  Just need to ask around.

#8 of 9 Old 06-27-2013, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

I've been reading some articles online and it appears that recent research says if the toe-walking is idiopathic, that it really isn't something to be concerned about.  And the doctor said his tendons were tight, but not short.  He can walk normally and walk on his heels (with his toes in the air), so maybe it's not such a big deal.  It probably wouldn't hurt to have it looked at a bit further, though.

#9 of 9 Old 07-05-2013, 08:33 PM

My young brother-in-law had an issue with toe walking, and not even all the time.

He was checked out a few times.

Finally was diagnoses with a mild case of cerebral palsy. Which, not to scare you or anything, can be a cause of toe walking.

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page