Are Wedgies Appropriate? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-03-2013, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I caught my 8yo ds and his friend giving each other wedgies in ds's bedroom yesterday...and this wasn't the first time. Both of them had taken their pants off, put them on the bed, and were running around pulling on each other's underpants while 7yo ds watched with glee. Ds was wearing his spiderman briefs, and his friend was wearing tw's. I have absolutely no idea what to make of this. Should I just laugh it off as kids being kids, should I be furious and speak to the friend's mom, or should I talk to ds in private about it. WHAT SHOULD I DO? 

#2 of 7 Old 07-03-2013, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I remember doing stuff like that and I think it's totally innocent. I may handle it by laughing, and saying, "Okay, guys, that's enough. That looks too much like an easy way to get hurt! Pants back on, please!" That way, there's no shame involved or anything, which there shouldn't be. I think that kinda stuff is normal.
Neera likes this.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#3 of 7 Old 07-03-2013, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I think it's completely harmless but also warrants a brief discussion about appropriate attire in front of friends. I found that my DD and her friends did many odd things that I assumed they were well past doing.
#4 of 7 Old 07-04-2013, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I agree, it sounds silly (will butts, poop, and farts EVER stop being funny?  I'm ready for this phase to END) but "Pants On" is always a good rule so yeah, I'd put a stop to it and tell them we need to keep our hands of other people's underwear and our pants ON from here on out.

#5 of 7 Old 07-05-2013, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

In my house this would be deemed inappropriate for several reasons...1..they took their pants off...while it seemed harmless you never know what another parent will think of it and in the age of everything being sexual or deemed sexual I wouldn't want it happening at my house..2...Sometimes young children think it is okay to do outside the house since it was ok at home...I myself would be a bit upset to find out my 5 year old took her pants off at a friends house and they were wedging each other and the other parent thought it was ok...Some children don't know boundaries and might want to wedge someone at a store or something...

But that is just what we do at home...We dont' make a big deal about farts or burps except to say excuse me when it happens accidently and I never make it funny...I actually didn't even call it that and my little girl didn't know what a "fart" was until she went to school...We called it passing gas....

The reason I am this way is I had a special needs child who had no boundaries when it came to "bathroom" behavior and he thought if it was ok in one household it was ok in any household and stores ect...

JMHO but we don't do that in our house....LOL..I am just no into bathroom humor...but (sigh)my dad sure is :)

#6 of 7 Old 07-05-2013, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Fine if they'd kept their pants on. Pants off- not cool.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#7 of 7 Old 07-09-2013, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

nohing. just laugh it off. 

esp. with kids with high energy they will do anything to entertain themselves and the more crazy the better.

i would never imagine stopping my 5 year old. in their bedroom. 

now if they did silly stuff like that in public all of them would get guidance on what is appropriate and what is not. 

my friend's sons have done similar things with dd joining them. pointing out its wrong would have made it a bigger deal than not. if needed i would have set up boundaries - but i didnt need them. instead i enjoyed their silly laughs. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page