having problems getting DS active - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-27-2013, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS is 7 and has always been a bit uninterested in physical activities, it has always been a big challenge. I started signing him up for sports a bit later than most, he tried basketball at 4, started swimming lessons at 5 and he has done soccer one time now and basketball a couple times and swimming again. He says he is not a sports kid, but he doesn't do anything active at home either, he is not into playing outside, I have to force him, and I have had to do that since, ever...He is not interested in making new friends in the neighborhood. He does like swimming and is now able to go to level 3, so I am thinking of continuing that again in the fall. I try to do walks with him, go to the park, even bounce houses and it he just is so 'bored' and will stop quickly after we start an activity. He is on the huskier side, which is semi shocking as he was always lean as a baby/toddler, but around 4 he started gaining and it is continuing. Our diet could be better and I am working on getting it back to a more healthier kind. But I am just at a loss as what to do? I hate to spend money on sports he doesn't like as I am not well off, but I am wanting him to get out and make friends, learn skills and get physical activity in. Sports are not constant, there is usually a month between each sport, I don't have him do more than one at a time, too hectic and expensive. 

Just looking for some ideas? 

Today we went to a kids festival where there were bounce houses and he was not that thrilled, we also went outside for a while and I had him put on roller skates and helped him work on learning how to skate. 

FWIW i also have a 2 year old full of energy so many times things have to be appropriate for both of them to do.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2013, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Geocaching? Letterboxing?

These are great family activities that usually involve some walking and hiking to find the hidden cache.

Martial arts? These can teach discipline and focus as well as being quite active.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Both my dk play different sports that they like, dd (4) takes swimming and will start skating in the fall. Ds (8) plays hockey and tennis. They both bike a lot with their dad.

But my opinion is that it's not organized sports who make them move and exercise, but simple play. So I get them out of the house for 4+ hours a day. We go to the park, pools, bike rides, or just in the back yard.

I don't insist on "exercising" - with my kids I just kick them outside; if they just prefer to lie on the grass and read a book, that's fine with me.

I find that if they have companionship, if they are outside and/or they are busy doing something, they are bound to move. Inside, it's just too tempting to turn on the TV or computer or play on one of the many electronic toys they have.

For example, I don't tell them, let's go for a walk and exercise. I take them berry picking, or bird watching.

Also, I find that at 7-8, ds still need me a lot to arrange playdates and look for opportunities to meet friends.

caffix.gif

Old 07-28-2013, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What kinds of things does he like to do? How does he spend his time? You might start with activities he's naturally drawn to, and he might make friends in those activities who are also involved in a sport and follow them to a sport. It's easier to get involved in a sport when you know people on your team going into the sport.

Also, there are some activities that don't seem active that have a level of activity that might appeal to him more, like theater classes (which might include some level of dancing) or photography classes (with nature walks to find subjects for photos.)
Old 07-28-2013, 08:11 PM

Swimming is a great activity. I also thought of martial arts. Instead of walking maybe a scooter?

Old 07-28-2013, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by transylvania_mom View Post

Both my dk play different sports that they like, dd (4) takes swimming and will start skating in the fall. Ds (8) plays hockey and tennis. They both bike a lot with their dad.

But my opinion is that it's not organized sports who make them move and exercise, but simple play. So I get them out of the house for 4+ hours a day. We go to the park, pools, bike rides, or just in the back yard.

I don't insist on "exercising" - with my kids I just kick them outside; if they just prefer to lie on the grass and read a book, that's fine with me.

I find that if they have companionship, if they are outside and/or they are busy doing something, they are bound to move. Inside, it's just too tempting to turn on the TV or computer or play on one of the many electronic toys they have.

For example, I don't tell them, let's go for a walk and exercise. I take them berry picking, or bird watching.

Also, I find that at 7-8, ds still need me a lot to arrange playdates and look for opportunities to meet friends.

I agree, but I have a hard time being outside for 4 hours a day myself, I like the outdoors but being in the sun that much and the heat drains me and I cannot handle the heat/sun combo for long and I am fair skinned with already one bout of pre-skin cancer. Once school starts I couldn't even swing 4 hours as he will be in school all day long.  I have tried to make playdates for him and it seems to fall through. We did go to a family bday party today and it was great weather and cloudy and he played outside a lot, which he would have never done at home. There were other kids he knew to play with.

I have tried to make friends myself through a single parents group and have been to a couple things but it is always so hectic with him and dd trying to get us all in a good spot and find friends. I am an assistant organizer and I have had now 2 events where no parents showed up, very disappointing. All the meetup groups that are attachment parenting style are geared toward babies and toddlers and they have age limits so he is not allowed to go to the playdates, so dd and I haven't even tried all summer to go to one.  He has a scooter but it is at his dads. There are 2 boys near his dads that he likes to play with, but he isn't at his dads enough to see them much. 

All he likes is video games and legos, thats about it, hes even outgrowing his love of dinosaurs and gets bored at the zoo. 

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
Old 07-28-2013, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post

Geocaching? Letterboxing?

These are great family activities that usually involve some walking and hiking to find the hidden cache.

Martial arts? These can teach discipline and focus as well as being quite active.

i don't even know what geocaching or letterboxing are?

Old 07-28-2013, 10:33 PM

http://letterboxing.org/

http://www.geocaching.com/

It's like a treasure hunt. You follow the clues to a hidden box. In letterboxing, you stamp the book in the cache with your personal stamp and then stamp your own passbook with the box's own stamp. In geocaching, people hide books or small trinkets that you may take or trade. Cool, huh? My 8-10 year olds went through a phase where they wanted to do this every weekend. It helps them read a compass, learn directions and count steps or find natural clues.... go north 100 steps, look for the tree that's double, find the hidden spot under the fallen tree...or look for a rock in shape of a dog's head..... things like that. Fun and learning.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Take him swimming at an indoor pool?
We have a gazebo; if ds wants to play with his Legos, I just tell him to take them outside and he stays in the shade if it's too hot.

In my experience, 7 y.o. don't stay outside without someone else to keep them company (adult or another kid).

I wouldn't worry too much if he says he's bored. It's not the end of the world, he'll survive. I couldn't help chuckling when we went camping for the weekend and on the second day, ds declared he was so bored that it was "the worst day of his life"! Well, if *that* was his worst day, I'm pretty proud of my job as a parent!

Ds 9 and dd 5
Old 07-30-2013, 09:06 AM

You've had some great suggestions. I agree that in the short-term, being active together is a good idea. Geocaching, nature walks, all that sort of thing.

I just wanted to mention that you may want to consider whether he has a preference for individual activities rather than team sports and/or "ball" sports. Other than swimming, it looks like you've signed him up mostly for team sports. It may not be his thing. Perhaps he might enjoy martial arts or gymnastics instead, which have some similarities to swimming. If you have the opportunity, or when he's a little older, skiing and cycling might suit. If it isn't a "playing with balls" thing, but it is the team dynamic that doesn't interest him, then tennis or golf, rather than baseball and basketball, might work. 

Tags
Child , Children , Health
User Tag List