Tonsils and adenoidectomy recovery - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-28-2013, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, my 5yr old daughter is scheduled to have her tonsils and adenoids taken out tomorrow morning at 7. I understand she will be on a liquid diet for the next few days and am prepared with tons of jello, Gatorade, water, apple sauce and such. I want to ask everyone's honest opinion of how their child's recovery went. I'm expecting her to be super cranky and possible not want to eat or drink. She gets very sensitive when sick and her appetite drops significantly. Is it as difficult as the doctors are preparing me to be? How many out there have had a child throw up blood like I'm being told might happen? I don't know anyone that has gone through this with their child and would like some real moms to give me some advice. Thanks smile.gif
#2 of 5 Old 07-30-2013, 09:08 PM

I hope your daughter's recovery is going well. My son had the same surgery two years ago. He was absolutely miserable the first day. He watched movies, slept, and would occasionally be prevailed upon to eat part of a popsicle or drink a small milkshake. By two days in he was eating soft foods and in much less pain. Three days in he could eat most things but just wanted to relax and not talk. Within five days he was back to normal. The doctors have to tell you all the possible bad reactions. Thankfully, they don't always, or even often, happen. I actually think that the hardest part for my son was that he couldn't talk easily, and normally he's a chatterbox :).

I don't know what symptoms your daughter was having before surgery, but the procedure helped my son sleep much better and he immediately stopped snoring like a chainsaw. In fact, for the first couple months I kept leaning close to his bed at night to make sure he was still breathing :). 

Happy transplanted resident of the "not so deep" Southsmile.gif. Married to a great man for 9 years and countinglove.gif. Mom to two wonderful gifts from God: DS (8) jog.gifalways moving, atypically thinking, ballet dancing boy and long-awaited DD (2) fly-by-nursing1.gifcuddly, curious, fearless, book loving girl.

#3 of 5 Old 08-01-2013, 12:16 PM

Sorry I didn't respond before your daughter's surgery, but I wanted to sympathise. My son had his tonsils and adenoids removed when he was 3, and he had a hard time with the surgery. Since they call it "ambulatory surgery", I thought it would be an in-and-out procedure, but he spent 2 days after in the hospital on IV's because he refused to eat because his throat hurt. greensad.gif He never vomitted blood, but he did have the worst nosebleed I ever saw a few days later when the internal scabs came off. That part was painless for him though, and recovery for him was over at that point.

I've never regretted having the surgery done. His tonsils and adenoids were so swollen it was affecting his ability to breathe, and that may have been contributing to his small size/poor growth. He also was not speaking yet since sounds were muffled to him since his enlarged tonsils were pressing against the lower part of his eustacian tubes. The surgery turned him into a completely different boy. He slept well without mouth breathing, snoring, and waking frequently. He started growing faster, and began speaking since he could hear well. Even though the surgery itself was rough, I wish we had done it sooner because of the results.
#4 of 5 Old 08-02-2013, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies ladies, I appreciate it. The surgery went pretty fast - in total pre-op waiting and post-op was about 3.5 hrs. She woke up pretty angry ( which we expected from experience from her getting her tubes in both ears when she was 13 mos old) and was a bit combative. But once she was given a Popsicle she was a lot tamer. She complained that her throat hurt and hated the IV in her arm. Immediately I noticed that her voice was noticeably different.

She has been recovering well....her diet has mostly consisted of very small bites of jello, crushed canned peaches, some yogurt, and home made alphabet soup with just chicken broth - which she nibbles on a bowl the whole day. She's been staying hydrated pretty good, voiding at least 3x a day. She started having fevers the 2nd day post-op for 3 days every 4-5 hrs, like clock work. I gave her the Tylenol with Codeine the first night but she has since refused to take it again (the taste reminds me of 44D cough medicine demon.gif) so i have been giving her just regular Tylenol for the fevers and pain. 4th day today and the fevers have stopped but now the scabs have begun. No vomiting or nose bleeds though (yet) so yay!!!

One thing that HAS been really tough and strange are the night terrors!! She absolutely dreads to go to sleep and when she finally does she wakes up every 2-3 hrs sits straight up screaming and waving her arms about. I've been reading that it comes from the anesthesia and/or codeine. This has been the most difficult part of her recovery. I don't even think she is awake when she has these episodes. We try to calm her down and comfort her but there is NOTHING we can do that soothes her, she just eventually passes out crying herself back to sleep. It's awful. I ask her about it in the morning and she says she doesn't remember! She swears she didn't have any bad dreams...?

When she is sleeping I can't even hear her breathing - which is 180* difference - after suffering from sleep apnea - all the snoring and mouth breathing ugh. The ENT said her adenoids were really enlarged and had a lot of puss along the sides.  I think this was the best choice we've made for her. She starts Kindergarten in 2 weeks and soccer in 3, so I have my fingers crossed that by next week she will be back to normal eating her usual diet and regular activities. I will definitely give an update in a few weeks.

Thanks again for your responces. I hope this thread helps some other mom out there with this same situation.

#5 of 5 Old 08-02-2013, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfausto View Post

Thanks for the replies ladies, I appreciate it. The surgery went pretty fast - in total pre-op waiting and post-op was about 3.5 hrs. She woke up pretty angry ( which we expected from experience from her getting her tubes in both ears when she was 13 mos old) and was a bit combative. But once she was given a Popsicle she was a lot tamer. She complained that her throat her and her voice was noticeably different.

She has been recovering well....her diet has mostly consisted of very small bites of jello, crushed canned peaches, some yogurt, and home made alphabet soup with just chicken broth - which she nibbles on a bowl the whole day. She's been staying hydrated pretty good, voiding at least 3x a day. She started having fevers the 2nd day post-op for 3 days every 4-5 hrs, like clock work. I gave her the Tylenol with Codeine the first night but she has since refused to take it again (the taste reminds me of 44D cough medicine demon.gif) so i have been giving her just regular Tylenol for the fevers and pain. 4th day today and the fevers have stopped but now the scabs have begun. No vomiting or nose bleeds though (yet) so yay!!!

One thing that HAS been really tough and strange are the night terrors!! She absolutely dreads to go to sleep and when she finally does she wakes up every 2-3 hrs sits straight up screaming and waving her arms about. I've been reading that it comes from the anesthesia and/or codeine. This has been the most difficult part of her recovery. I don't even think she is awake when she has these episodes. We try to calm her down and comfort her but there is NOTHING we can do that soothes her, she just eventually passes out crying herself back to sleep. It's awful. I ask her about it in the morning and she says she doesn't remember! She swears she didn't have any bad dreams...?

When she is sleeping I can't even hear her breathing - which is 180* difference - after suffering from sleep apnea - all the snoring and mouth breathing ugh. The ENT said her adenoids were really enlarged and had a lot of puss along the sides.  I think this was the best choice we've made for her. She starts Kindergarten in 2 weeks and soccer in 3, so I have my fingers crossed that by next week she will be back to normal eating her usual diet and regular activities. I will definitely give an update in a few weeks.

Thanks again for your responces. I hope this thread helps some other mom out there with this same situation.

hug2.gifNight terrors suck!  I don't know how common it is, but I've heard of night terrors being triggered by blood sugar fluctuations.  If that happens to be a contributing factor in your daughter's case you might be able to reduce them by sticking to the less sugary, more protein/fat rich foods before bed.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page