Humanist kid books - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 07-31-2013, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've just recently stumbled upon the secular humanist and freethinker philosophies, and I really jive with them. I wonder if anyone has book recommendations that would lean in this direction for young kids. Chapter books and picture books are fine. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 07-31-2013, 11:49 PM

I don't know of any secular humanist books geared directly towards children but would love to hear what others might know of.

A parenting book that we've enjoyed is "Parenting Beyond Belief: On Raising Ethical, Caring Kids Without Religion"

#3 of 5 Old 08-01-2013, 06:55 AM

Maybe not so much for really young kids, but The Magic of Reality by Richard Dawkins is good.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#4 of 5 Old 08-01-2013, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

I've read a bit of Parenting Beyond Belief, which lead me to 'Raising Freethinkers', which are my intros to those philosophies (or that they have names). I plan to buy Raising Freethinkers, since it has such great activities and resources for all age groups.

I am interested in the Dawkins book, too. I'll see if the library has that one. Thanks!
#5 of 5 Old 08-18-2013, 10:28 AM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Slightly different topic, but For Every Child a Better World by Kermit the Frog is about International Human Rights, and a great starting point for discussions.

I am interested to see what suggestions come up here!

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

Tags
Childrens Books

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page