Back to school: Do you have "school clothes" and "play clothes" for your kids? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-13-2013, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My boys, 7 and 5, are really hard on clothes.  Stains, rips, stretched out- they do it all.  Full service boys.  :)  

I am contemplating this year having them have a nicer set of "school clothes" that come off as soon as they come home.  They already have "church clothes" and they actually really get into it (7 year old in particular has to wear a tie- his preference.)  

But here's the thing: I'd like to have school clothes for them to help them become a bit more aware of their personal appearance.  And this rubs me kind of the wrong way.  I can't figure out why I care, and whether or not that is an acceptable message to send to my young children.  

So... discuss.  Who amongst you has "school clothes" for your kids?  Why?  How does it work?

HappyHappyMommy likes this.

Distraction is not the same thing as play.
Be part of the diaper free revolution. 

DS1, 6 years.  DS2, 4 years.  DS3, brand new!  (April 2012)

#2 of 10 Old 08-13-2013, 09:32 AM

I don't have school clothes but I don't think it is a bad idea either. When I talk to my kids about school I remind them that it is their "work". Most people still dress up and try to look nice for work. Nothing wrong with that, IMO. How you present yourself does have an impact on how others treat you, like it or not.

#3 of 10 Old 08-13-2013, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

This school year brings uniforms for us, so yes definitely school and "other" clothes! I have always done school and none-school clothes though. It worked in reverse for us. My kids trashed their clothes at our old school because the playground was either red dirt or mud depending on the day. I never send them in really nice clothes nor shoes. I also didn't send them in sweatpants either. For us, school clothes meant clothes that I wouldn't care if they got ruined but still looked decent. Jeans and shirts with practical mary janes or dresses that hid stains well with cheap leggings, etc... Decent track pants for my boy who can't work buttons. Things of that nature. 

I don't think it is a bad message to send to children. DS1 does live in track pants or gym shorts because he can pull them up easier. Frankly, if he didn't have fine motor issues, I shouldn't be buying as many of those items as I do. I want my kids to be able to run, jump, and play in whatever they wear BUT I also have rules on what is acceptable (to me) clothing to wear in public. No PJ bottoms and slippers, ripped or heavily stained clothing, sweatpants unless coming from the gym, leggings or shorts under skirts to cover bottoms, no high heels. I follow the same rules myself so I don't consider them unfair rules. We aren't into name brands and often shop second hand. I think teaching children about self care is an important lesson and to me, this falls under that category. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#4 of 10 Old 08-13-2013, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What a good question! We do not, but we do have some clothes that are fine for school but too nice for messy play, and some clothes that are not nice enough for school but great for messy play. Most are fine for either.
#5 of 10 Old 08-13-2013, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

I don't have school and play clothes for my dd because she has always played hard no matter what and I don't want her to stop playing hard at school where she gets the most time to play with friends.  I use Oxy Spray, sew holes, and replace clothes when needed. 

#6 of 10 Old 08-13-2013, 05:37 PM

Yes, ds's school clothes are hung in the closet. They are the standard polo shirts, nice t shirts, jeans, cords, sweatshirts, etc, but not torn, stained or horribly faded and worn. 

Play clothes are in drawers, these are older and worn shirts and jeans, shorts, sweats, many of them were once school clothes and are downgraded to play clothes until they are too small or falling apart. I do the same thing with shoes.

Where we live it is foggy all year and my kids play outside a lot, so they get pretty dirty on a daily basis and I don't want to have to worry about them destroying their clothes. He plays hard at school but it's not quite the same as the muddy backyard or park, or playing with water or paint.

When ds gets home from school, he puts his school clothes in the laundry, puts on whatever he feels like from his drawers (or gymnastics or soccer clothes on the appropriate days), and moves on to snack, homework and outside time or activities. 

#7 of 10 Old 08-13-2013, 05:55 PM

We don't for the same reasons that others have mentioned. My daughter has 3 recesses a day at school, art class, and classroom crafts. Clothes are just as likely to get ruined during her school day as they are at home. 

We do have some of the same standards as other Mom's in that once clothes are stained or torn, they can't be worn to school, no threadbare shirts or sweatpants. The kids are welcome to wear them around the house. However the kids aren't required to change into those clothes once they get home.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#8 of 10 Old 08-14-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyGG View Post

We don't for the same reasons that others have mentioned. My daughter has 3 recesses a day at school, art class, and classroom crafts. Clothes are just as likely to get ruined during her school day as they are at home. 

We do have some of the same standards as other Mom's in that once clothes are stained or torn, they can't be worn to school, no threadbare shirts or sweatpants. The kids are welcome to wear them around the house. However the kids aren't required to change into those clothes once they get home.

Same here.  Plus I'm kind of lazy about this sort of thing, I could never keep things straight.  

#9 of 10 Old 08-14-2013, 08:00 AM

I have toyed with this idea for a while. I love the idea of my girls, 5 and 7, having a set of clothes that they know are "school clothes" (even though we are homeschool). The problem is, i can't get them to wear anything but dress ups and odd bits and pieces they pick up around the house. Sometimes I think I should write a book about all the things you never knew you were getting yourself into when you gentle parent and follow your kids lead. I love that they are creative and can make themselves into any charater they want at any time, but just once I would like to say, "time to go!" and be able to turn around and have two fully dressed girls ready to head out the door, KWIM? Instead one will have no clothes on and her body painted like a Lost Boy from Peter Pan and the other will be in full princess regalia.

Sorry, got off topic here....

Aletheia likes this.
#10 of 10 Old 08-18-2013, 08:35 PM

We don't have school clothes and play clothes, but we do have pants with holes in the knee, or raggedy-looking patched up pants, which I don't want them wearing to school. So I try to save the good, not-yet-holey pants for school. At home they (6 and 8 year old boys) constantly play on the livingroom rug, and the scooting around on the knees is one big reason they get so many holes.  So I try to have them change out of good pants before playing on the rug. Otherwise, shirts are all pretty interchangable. The very stained or ratty T-shirts are only for home, or eventually just get used as pajamas. 

Tags
School

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page