Do you make your child brush their teeth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 09-05-2013, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm picky about this and do make an issue of it and kind of force it, though in a playful parenting way. But my kid just got a cavity anyway. I'm bummed.

I'm going to start forcing flossing too. I've let that slide but I don't want any more cavities.

Do you force this issue, and how? I think I might be lucky that being playful about it has always worked in my house.
#2 of 31 Old 09-05-2013, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)

I do make an issue of it once a day.  I encourage them to brush mornings, but don't press it unless we are going somewhere visiting (we homeschool).  My youngest is terrible, and I end up brushing her teeth for her because it can get pretty bad in there.  She has inklings of taking an interest in keeping them clean (thank you girl scouts) but we are still working that out.  Yes, I get pretty grumpy if they fight me on the teeth thing, but we've been doing this so long I think they remember no other fights about this.  Our struggle at bedtime is simply that they need to be busy doing bedtime chores if they stay up as late as they do--not playing. 

I'm not really sure how you would "make" or "force" a defiant child to brush, short of holding them down!  Most kids usually relent with milder tactics, some I imagine just go along with things because that's what they've always done, but I've had enough struggles with this to know that it does not always lead to compliance doing it that way.

We haven't really had any trouble with cavities.  My oldest brushes once a day with salt water for heaven's sake, and has never had a filling of any sort--ever.  Even dd2 with her abysmal habits still has done just fine on the cavity front--though her gums are more tender than they should be.  I don't think that brushing/flossing habits are always connected to dental woes, unfortunately, and it's hard to figure out why some kids do fine with less diligence and other get cavities with excellent habits.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#3 of 31 Old 09-05-2013, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I do "make" them brush twice a day, but luckily they don't resist, so it hasn't been much of an issue. When they were around 3, each of them went through a phase where they resisted a bit, but we were just matter of fact and kept it as a firm expectation.

My DS has had a cavity too -- it's such a bummer! We've encouraged regular flossing since then, but he probably only flosses 3-4 times a week, not every day.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#4 of 31 Old 09-05-2013, 01:20 PM

Remember that cavaties have as much to do with genetics as they do with taking care of your teeth, if not more.

I always had impecable teeth care since I was a small kid (so Im told). I have a mouth full of cavaties.(both my parents do as well) My husband has always had terrible teeth care IMO Brushes once a day (yuck) and flosses occasionally and is 37 years old and has NEVER had a cavity. Just do the best you can with it, but don;t let it become a source of contention. JMHO

rachelsmama likes this.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#5 of 31 Old 09-05-2013, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Yes because breathe!  dental hygiene is a good practice.  I also make them wipe their butts and wash their hands.

#6 of 31 Old 09-05-2013, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

Yes because breathe!  dental hygiene is a good practice.  I also make them wipe their butts and wash their hands.
As a retired dental hygienist you totally cracked me up!!! Awesome!
#7 of 31 Old 09-05-2013, 04:24 PM

For some reason, though, kids I know don't protest those nearly so vehemently as teeth brushing.  Longer process?  More invasive?  Consequences that are farther off?  When kids don't wipe, their butts get stinky and often itchy and uncomfortable.  A cold can be blamed on forgetting or refusing to wash hands after an indoor playground visit.  Cavities?  Consequences for adult teeth?  Oh, please, that's, like, a bazillion years in the future!

Catholic Mama likes this.

#8 of 31 Old 09-05-2013, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
My DD has weak enamel in her six year molars and a fear of dental procedures which makes surgery the only way to fix cavities so I do "make" her brush.
#9 of 31 Old 09-06-2013, 04:01 AM

There are things in our house that are non negotiable. Changing diaper, washing hands before and after we eat, brushing teeth are on that list. My dd is 2 1/2 when she asks why we brush I tell her so we don't have stinky breath and so the sugar germs don't eat away our teeth. When she gets older I plan to explain the bacterial and pH reasons which I think she will love to learn about with some activities. But for now the germ reason seems to work. If she is tired she sometimes protests. We are consistent, we ask her do you want the easy way or the hard way. Easy way is she stands on her stool at the sink and we clean her up. Hard way lay her on the bed and hold her down to do it. Very rarely we go the hard way. But as parents we remind ourselves we are establishing how important it is to have good hygiene. Also it's very expensive to have dental or any kind of medical procedure done. Even myself some nights I am like oh I am too tired to floss. Then I think well how many cavities can I afford? That's my motivation. And yes cavities still can happen even with the most diligent home care due to bacteria but you gotta at least try.
#10 of 31 Old 09-06-2013, 04:24 AM

For those comparing methods and effectiveness, keep in mind that cavities are about which bacteria have colonized the mouth and genetics far more definitively than habits.

I've brushed twice a day and flossed often enough as long as I can remember and still have a cavity or two every few years. My husband, when I met him, once admitted to me that he'd never flossed and when alone, brushed once a day and often skipped days and has NEVER had a cavity. Lucky bastard.

I keep it up anyway because the in the moment benefits of fresh breath and feeling a clean mouth are important too. And yes, my good habits have rubbed off an my DH so hopefully our kids get his tooth genes and my habits!

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#11 of 31 Old 09-06-2013, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I've ended up with a lot of cavities despite growing up with good dental hygiene and not much sugar. My parents ran a health food shops fgs! I was the kid who got to take carob cake to school for birthdays :rotflmaoMy dad is the same, dreadful teeth. Interestingly, my brother, who eats far and away the most sugar in the family, has perfect teeth. I very strongly suspect that if you looked at our teeth his would be better spaced and have shallower fissures. I don't think theres any serious debate that different people have different oral chemistry either contributing to the issue. Simple things-your mouth tending toward dryness, which is common in pregnancy but also, I think, if you tend to breathe through your mouth, say if your nose is often blocked-allergies. There's a lot going on there.

For me, if I didn't couple a low sugar diet with impeccable dental hygiene regime (brush 3 times a day, floss twice,anti-b mouthwash at first hint of trouble and dental appt, hygienist every 3 months), I doubt I'd have any teeth at all by this stage. I still have all my teeth but I have to work at it.

So do I make my kids brush? I do. I've had a lifetime of dental work. Its awful and its expensive. I need biyearly x rays. Once a filling is in, it needs maintenance esp if you go for the white ones. That's a lot of junk to take in your body. I'd rather avoid it for my kids. That said, there's never been a serious problem for me in getting my kids to brush. They kind of know the stakes.

Raising Geek_Generation_2.0 :LET ds= 10 ; LET dd1= ds - 2; LET dd2=dd-2; IF month=0.67 THEN LET ds = ds+1; 
#12 of 31 Old 09-06-2013, 01:49 PM

As a child I lied about brushing my teeth and my parents didn't double check. I had a mouth full of cavities at a fairly young age because of this. Now, I've got a son with enamel hypoplasia, which means weak enamel on 6 year molars (and unfortunately on his front teeth, too). So yeah, brushing is a big deal here. I often make them do it twice just to be sure.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#13 of 31 Old 09-06-2013, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

My kids have to brush twice a day too but it's really challenging to get the 3 y.o. to do it for any length of time. Poor little sucker has had his front top four teeth crowned due to cavities/rot when he was 2.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#14 of 31 Old 09-06-2013, 09:45 PM

We make DS (2) brush his teeth every night, and about a month ago we stumbled upon a way to get him to have fun with it- and it hasn't gotten old yet. We make up all kinds of crazy things we are brushing out of his teeth, and then ask him incredulously how/if he actually ate that stuff. He likes when we have to brush motorcycles and container ships out, or birds & giraffes, etc. So glad this is working, because he was starting to get a little resistant, and I didn't want to have to forfe it the hard way.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#15 of 31 Old 09-07-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyanydots View Post

So glad this is working, because he was starting to get a little resistant, and I didn't want to have to forfe it the hard way.

Ahh.... "force"..... I am still in the process of daily caffeination, and I actually thought, "what is 'forfing'??" before realizing it was a typo.  Good morning!  Thanks for the wake up call, and the laugh.  

#16 of 31 Old 09-07-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

Ahh.... "force"..... I am still in the process of daily caffeination, and I actually thought, "what is 'forfing'??" before realizing it was a typo.  Good morning!  Thanks for the wake up call, and the laugh.  
Omg, that's hilarious. I'm glad I could provide some amusement. Stupid iphone! wink1.gif

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#17 of 31 Old 09-07-2013, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Our bedtime routine consists of praying the Rosary, praying night prayers, brushing teeth, and reading in bed. I'm in the bathroom with all four of my children when we brush teeth, and we use fluoride free toothpaste. Nobody has to worry about spitting it out. (That's not why we use fluoride free toothpaste, but it's a nice benefit.) I brush my 2-year-old and 3-year-old's teeth once and I brush my 5-year-old's teeth with a 2-minute timer that the dentist gave us last year while my 7-year-old brushes her teeth. She will probably start flossing in the next year or two.

Though I haven't always, for about a year now I've been brushing three times a day and flossing with the Reach flosser that the dentist recommended. I've found it hard to maneuver regular floss so it was such a relief to find something that I can use between all of my teeth. One package of flosser refills lasts me for about a month. When my children start flossing I will most likely buy them Reach flossers too.

I would say that the three most helpful things for us are fluoride free toothpaste, 2-minute timers, and the Reach flosser.

http://www.net32.com/shopping/product-detail.php?adtype=%7Badtype%7D&utm_source=Windfall&utm_medium=ProductFeed&utm_content=dental&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=CLW80aOvurkCFTRo7AodPyoAEQ&mpProdId=77216&referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.net32.com%2Fec%2Freach-access-daily-flosser-assorted-colors-48-d-77216%3Fadtype%3D%257Badtype%257D%26utm_source%3DWindfall%26utm_medium%3DProductFeed%26utm_content%3Ddental%26utm_campaign%3DGoogleShopping%26gclid%3DCLW80aOvurkCFTRo7AodPyoAEQ

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

#18 of 31 Old 09-08-2013, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Twice a day. After the v. first dentist visit recently which went well (no cavities) flossing, but with several reminders, has been included. Dentist also rcommends brushing gums to avoid plague growth. I am also teaching dd oil pulling with coconut oil. I absolutely love it. Dd not so much. If dd is too tired and refuses to brush at night dh will bring tooth brush to bed and trash can to spit in.

Positive thoughts generate power, negative ones waste it ~ Unknown
#19 of 31 Old 09-08-2013, 12:58 PM

Neera, please tell me more about oil pulling with coconut oil. I already take it (swallow tablespoons) for hypothyroidism and if I could use it for my/our teeth I'd like to learn about that oo.

#20 of 31 Old 09-08-2013, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I make the 3 year old do it (although, he's never had an issue with his teeth and if he falls asleep before his teeth are brushed, I don't dig in there enough to wake him up).  The 5 yr old I don't have to force, because he's old enough to understand the consequences, and he's had cavities, and has one now (because we weren't flossing enough), so all I have to do is remind him.  I have to say, the hardest age to brush teeth was before 2.5 yrs...as they just didn't like it and didn't want to...older than that, they just accepted it as a ritual as much as anything else we do, like wash hands after the bathroom.  

CatholicMama, thanks for the link to the Reach flossers. Those look easier than the "straight flossers" that we use for reaching back to the molars.  Are they well waxed?  My 5 year old's teeth are so tight, that we regularly break the flossers trying to floss between his teeth.  It seems the more waxed ones work better.  

#21 of 31 Old 09-08-2013, 04:45 PM

lmkl, you're welcome. I wasn't sure about the waxiness so I looked at Amazon's reviews and found this: "The actual floss in these heads is so low quality and not waxed enough that if you have tight gaps between your teeth it's nearly impossible to get this stuff through." That was the only time I saw it mentioned. The dentist told me I have a small mouth last year, and in all that time of using the Reach Access flosser (since I saw the dentist about a year ago), I can count the number of times the floss has broken on one hand. But my teeth might not be as tight as your son's teeth.

Maybe you could try the Reach Access flosser (though it says ages 6 and up, so you would need to help him) and if it doesn't work so well, ask your dentist for something similar?

#22 of 31 Old 09-09-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic Mama View Post

Neera, please tell me more about oil pulling with coconut oil. I already take it (swallow tablespoons) for hypothyroidism and if I could use it for my/our teeth I'd like to learn about that oo.

Hi Catholic Mom, I am a sort of novice too. I read about in a health book. Well, the author only made reference to it. I went to Amazon to look for books on the subject and there was just one. I didn't buy it but did some research on the net. Like you I have a small mouth - no actually a dentist had told me in my teens that I had a mouth of a kid and teeth size of a grown up. So, needless to say I am prone to cavities and it could be my genes. My dad had v. bad teeth. From my net research I learned you swish some oil (I used a tsp or less) depending on your mouth size whatever qty you fell comfortable with, for 20 minutes. On a bad day if I've had white sugar  (I really avoid it altogether) then my teeth hurt and only swishing coconut oil helps. You could use olive oil but I don't like the taste and really only coconut oil hleps me a 100% If you want to brush afterwards to get rid of the aftertaste you could. I actually leave it because I think the film of oil protects my teeth. I also read a forum in which a guy said he only oil pulls and has stopped traditional brushing and all the plague fell off and his teeth were nice and white. Hope this helps.

#23 of 31 Old 09-09-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

lol

#24 of 31 Old 09-09-2013, 12:43 PM

Tooth brushing is non-negotiable for us. The kids inherited some predispositions to cavities very early on. This little video has been a lifesaver. It's only about a minute and a half, so I let kids brush solo for first video, then replay it as I have a turn to make sure we do a great job.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qC2hqRhPc&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DJ3qC2hqRhPc
#25 of 31 Old 09-10-2013, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

When it comes to health or safety, I have no problem "forcing" my children to do something.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#26 of 31 Old 09-10-2013, 08:11 PM

I don't force her to brush her teeth, but I learned a trick for getting her to brush her teeth. I still brush her teeth for her, and I count backward from 10. (She's only 18 months old. For an older child, you could count longer or set a timer.) Knowing there's a set end time helps her deal with it, and she enjoys it now.

I think good dental hygiene is important, and at least a few times a week, I'd push it even if she really didn't want to.

mamazee likes this.
#27 of 31 Old 09-11-2013, 09:28 AM

I think teeth brushing is an absolute must do day and night. I understand that cavities can be caused by lots of different things but brushing your teeth regularly is one of the best preventions. 

I try and turn it into a fun experience for my little one by singing and dancing for two mins - so I can make sure she brushes for the correct amount of time. She loves it!

mamazee likes this.
#28 of 31 Old 09-12-2013, 05:38 AM

I do not compromise on this issue. But I try not to use my  parental authority and force her to brush her teeth. Instead I try to teach her about the importance of brushing her teeth in fun,creative ways.  Such as singing her favorite song while she is brushing her teeth.
There are also great children's books  which help teach this topic.
mamazee likes this.
#29 of 31 Old 09-12-2013, 06:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
My nine-year-old has ADHD, Auditory Processing Disorder, and sensory issues. Singing, and silly games, haven't worked in years. I do the best I can. He probably brushes twice a week, maybe three times. I have tried everything I can do, but in the end, it's his decision.
mamazee likes this.
#30 of 31 Old 09-12-2013, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polliwog View Post

My nine-year-old has ADHD, Auditory Processing Disorder, and sensory issues. Singing, and silly games, haven't worked in years. I do the best I can. He probably brushes twice a week, maybe three times. I have tried everything I can do, but in the end, it's his decision.

Yeah I do think I've been lucky that it's gone well for us. Thanks for the perspective that we're all dealing with different challenges! I am very glad that getting silly seems to work really well. Even for kids not dealing with ADHD or Auditory Processing Disorder, it gets harder as they get older, though thankfully for my older child (11) explaining the effects of not brushing works. I worry about how I'd handle it if I couldn't make it happen easily, but luckily it's just a worry and not my reality.

Tags
Natural Dental Care , Child , Dental , Child Health , Playful Parenting

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page