overnight pant or diaper? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 09-09-2013, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi there.  My son is about 55lb and 49" tall. We have used underjams and goodnights.  Sometimes we have a leak.  My ? today is for anyone with an older child who does well with a particular method or overnight pull-up type product.  Thanks!  I am considering cheaper alternative, sizse 6 diapers. . . .no traumatic issue with that.  My son is okay w/ whatever.

whistling.gifAnniekid.gifblahblah.gif 
#2 of 34 Old 09-09-2013, 01:51 PM

Oh, I hope you get a good response! We've tried Goodnights, pull-ups, Target's brand, Whole Foods' 365 brand, large Fuzzibuns, and Seventh Generation. Nothing has consistently (or even 60% of the time) held up to one night time pee. It almost always leaks all over the bed, unfortunately. We vigilantly make sure DS pees last thing before lights out, and occasionally can get him up for a pee in the night. But it's been almost every night lately, and I am SO tired of changing and washing sheets almost daily!
annie-laurie likes this.
#3 of 34 Old 09-09-2013, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

that was very thoughtful for you to share. thanks.  as for my son, he is 7 going on 8.  I don't wake him as that will make me hard to deal with the next day!  but, i have luck with size s/m goodnites purchased in bulk... it's just costly and not environmentally friendly!  thanks for the input.  i read about nurture by nature and thought it was cheaper and good enviro. .. .fuzzibunz is interesting. . .did you use inserts? thanks again

#4 of 34 Old 09-09-2013, 04:36 PM

Fuzzibuns were used with inserts. DS just seems to have an enormous night time bladder output, and nothing seems to hold it all. greensad.gif
annie-laurie likes this.
#5 of 34 Old 09-12-2013, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have 2 children in Pampers pull ups at night, I think my older child is as big as yours. They leak when there is a bigger pee...but I work to make sure they don't have a bigger pee in the pull ups. I'm trying to work toward no pull up at night anyway, so I do things like only small drinks of water at bedtime, use the toilet twice in the hour before bedtime, only put on the pull up right before bed and off to the toilet again first thing in the morning. The kids are old enough that they can take some responsibility for this--they don't like the leaks either.This works for my kids most of time time, only leaks every once in a while and usually when someone didn't follow the routine.

If you already do this kind of thing and it doesn't work, I really think you should wake him. I know lots of kids who get wakened to use the toilet during the night and the kids don't even remember in the morning. They don't really wake up all the way and I don't think it disrupts sleep. I would try like 2 or 3 hours after bedtime and see if it helps.

Good luck! I hate washing pee sheets and jammies. It is such a pain.

annie-laurie likes this.
#6 of 34 Old 09-13-2013, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your information!   I will start to wake him, esp if i am up. I can get pretty grouchy if i wake up but i will try.   Pampers, you said? is it Underjams?  I have tried and probably need to use the larger size at 58 lb. ..altho the package lists up to 65 i think.   Thanks, this means a lot to me.  I have , btw, always had him pee b4 bed, and he does upon awakening. . .so, i am sort of wondering if we will have to just let this run it's course. .. not sure but will give the wakening thing another try. . have done so a bit in past without routine, though   :)

#7 of 34 Old 09-13-2013, 06:07 AM

I'm not there myself but have a suggestion to prevent the leaking all over the sheets. You could try a large or extra large cloth diaper cover over the goodnites/pull-ups. That will stop the excess pee from getting on pjs and sheets. Make sure it fits snugly against the thighs and waist and that all parts of the pull-up are tucked inside or wetness will wick out. Another thought depending on just how flooded the bed gets is to put a wool or fleece blanket under kiddo to keep the sheets dry.
I hope you find something that works for you. My 2.5 year old has started sleeping through the night recently and I'm also working on minimizing the leaks. I know shes young but a flooded bed is a flooded bed. It's a trial and error thing for sure!
#8 of 34 Old 09-13-2013, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

DD2 turns 7 next month and is a super soaker at night. I can only buy Good Nights. Under Jams or any off brand always leak with her. I also size up a size and she is skinny so we've been using the larger ones for a while to hold more volume. I don't wake her in the middle of the night BUT I do wake her before I go to bed. That really seems to help stop the leaks as well. Half the time I am practically carrying an unconscious child to the toilet but that is better for me then having to change sheets in the middle of the night! 

annie-laurie likes this.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#9 of 34 Old 09-13-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie-laurie View Post

Pampers, you said? is it Underjams?  I have tried and probably need to use the larger size at 58 lb. ..altho the package lists up to 65 i think. 

No, I actually use the Pampers Easy Ups size 6. My 2 kids are definitely bigger than the recommended weight but I don't want to pay any more...my kids are skinny and we are making it work. If I couldn't limit the big pee at night, I would get another kind that had more absorption. I subscribe on Amazon and get 1 box every month.

About waking children at night, I think most people just do it when they go to bed, like Peony said. For many people, that ends up being a couple hours after the child goes to bed. I agree with you, it is probably not worth it if you are interrupting your own sleep!

annie-laurie likes this.
#10 of 34 Old 09-14-2013, 04:32 AM

At the end of the day, though, you should be working on how to stop the bedwetting. I got an alarm for my daughter, and it really did help her learn how to listen to her body - even when asleep (and she could sleep through a freight train barreling through her room...). Although waking kiddo up in the night may make you cranky for a period of time, he will get into the routine of it and get up on his own in time. 

annie-laurie likes this.
#11 of 34 Old 09-16-2013, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

You can also buy washable chux pads like these: http://www.homehealthdelivery.com/store/washable-bed-pads-c-81_4_96/

They go between your child & the sheets, we use these with DD and then I just wash the chux instead of the whole bed.  We have 5 pads, so I do not even have to do laundry every night.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#12 of 34 Old 09-17-2013, 11:31 AM

I recently switched my son (8 years old last feb.)  from goodnights to a washable mattress pad I purchased at a hospital supply store. It worked for the most part, although there were some leaks, mostly due to him not being positioned correctly. I would wake him most nights, but he wasn't really awake, so I'm not sure it did any good in terms of changing his night-time wetting.

I have recently stumbled upon something that has worked to keep him dry almost every night for the past two to three weeks with only two accidents.  I read a book at the library called It's no accident that was supposed to help with children with wetting/soiling problems. For my needs, I felt like the solutions were over the top, but tried to find a workable take-away message for my child's situation. What I decided to do was tell my son to sit on the toilet every day after supper or right before bed.  Earlier in the day would not count.  Because, this book I had read suggested that being empty of poop will help you stay dry at night.  He was  just agreeable enough to give it a try-- and what do you know? it's been working. 

As an aside, I didn't like the It's not an accident book. So much of his solution is not applicable to most parents. If one were dealing with encopresis, perhaps.   

annie-laurie likes this.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#13 of 34 Old 09-17-2013, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Hey that's a fresh perspective.   Y'know, my son still has the daytime accidental (very small amt) of pee when .. . .as u mentioned, he has to go # 2.  Thanks for sharing! We will give this a try.  As far as the wakings go, I just know too many who have said that 'nothing' works, including that.  Thanks, I know that my son will be 1/2 or 3/4 asleep as well, kick and scream too perhaps if i go that route, so i am psyching myself for starting that.

#14 of 34 Old 09-17-2013, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
#15 of 34 Old 09-17-2013, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Asiago, thanks for that. It's the leaks that cause more work, but i guess i am also wondering if i can help the issue by doing some of the things suggested above. I could use insert. It would cost more, so that is back to the over .50/night cost..  . .hmmmmm.. .but, thanks for the idea. Who knows what will work? I'll keep it in mind

#16 of 34 Old 09-18-2013, 05:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
You're welcome and good luck.
#17 of 34 Old 09-18-2013, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Pajama View Post

I recently switched my son (8 years old last feb.)  from goodnights to a washable mattress pad I purchased at a hospital supply store. It worked for the most part, although there were some leaks, mostly due to him not being positioned correctly. I would wake him most nights, but he wasn't really awake, so I'm not sure it did any good in terms of changing his night-time wetting.

I have recently stumbled upon something that has worked to keep him dry almost every night for the past two to three weeks with only two accidents.  I read a book at the library called It's no accident that was supposed to help with children with wetting/soiling problems. For my needs, I felt like the solutions were over the top, but tried to find a workable take-away message for my child's situation. What I decided to do was tell my son to sit on the toilet every day after supper or right before bed.  Earlier in the day would not count.  Because, this book I had read suggested that being empty of poop will help you stay dry at night.  He was  just agreeable enough to give it a try-- and what do you know? it's been working. 

As an aside, I didn't like the It's not an accident book. So much of his solution is not applicable to most parents. If one were dealing with encopresis, perhaps.   

hi there again RP:  you did say that you 

'woke him up most nights' . .. .so, is your conclusion that the method of waking does not eventually help them to get up on their own?  just curious. i have not woken him up yet since posting. . .hard to wake a kid.. . .anyone while sleeping!  thanks

#18 of 34 Old 09-18-2013, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)

I have some questions for you.

Is he aware of having trouble at night?  Does he remember?  Could you ask him what he wants to do?

I ask for two reasons.  1) DH was in plastic pants (remember those??) when he was old enough to remember them (around 8yo or slightly later) and hate them and be embarrassed by them, even though as an adult he understood why his mom made him wear them.  

And 2) My nearly-7yo daughter is really hard to wake up, and she has no clue that she had an accident the night before, even though we get her up so we can change her bedding and clothes.  I would need to convince her (privately so her sister doesn't give her grief) for her to acknowledge that it happened.  I'm interested in the washable chux pads for her-- she's getting far too big to carry to the bathroom, and she won't wake up to get herself to the potty.

I didn't mean to hop on your thread for advice, but I was going to start another thread, and I felt like I wanted to bring up what could be an important point for you.  I think he might be old enough to help make the decisions with you.  And I'm really interested in hearing from parents with older kids still working on getting to the potty at night.

annie-laurie likes this.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#19 of 34 Old 09-18-2013, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your personal story, Sweet Silver.  I know that my son will wake up and tell me that 'it leaked'. . .but he does not really wake up when I have tried to get him to the potty in the past.  Also, he does not remember having peed in the night, but i will be sure to ask him today at some point.  He is not constipated, last night was testament to that theory, but i am sure that the extra pressure could l cause peeing on those days; he just is not one to be constipated.

Well, I plan to make it more 'out in the open'. . .as a parent, i realize that i at times am very discreet even no to talk about it with my son himself, if it could be humiliating, but then, that is just transferring the idea onto him.  He doesn't seem too embarassed, but he is discreet about his pull-up if (on rare occasion) a friend spends the night.  I try to be very frank and unembarrassed so as to not make it otherwise for him.     

I think i know that he will just want to continue with the pull-ups.  the plastic pant would be too hot for my son, esp. at this point.  Waterproof pads could be fine, though at the time i use a pad underneath the sheets that is more breathable. . .not vinyl. . .cause i know that sweat will pool on vinyl when it's used on my bed.

I can say that my son is a deep sleeper. I will google 'chux' pad.   It is probably comfy to sleep without the pull-up, and ultimately, it might be wonderful for him to get out of them!  I appreciate your note, and ask away!  I just use 2 layers of the waterproof mattress cover and sheet set.  Good luck.  I love hearing from mothers!  Since my own passed very early in my life, this is a wonderful way to stay in touch with so many mothers with different bits of advice!  Bringing it out in the open for discussion and putting it in his lap, so to speak is . . .brilliant, now that i consider the affect it could have on him.  He has always responded well to taking the responsibility and taking charge.

thanks

#20 of 34 Old 09-18-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:

hi there again RP:  you did say that you 

'woke him up most nights' . .. .so, is your conclusion that the method of waking does not eventually help them to get up on their own?  just curious. i have not woken him up yet since posting. . .hard to wake a kid.. . .anyone while sleeping!  thanks

When he was first using the waterproof mat rather than the goodnight pullup, I woke him when I went to bed, a few hours after he went to bed himself. He'd usually go to the bathroom, but I had to really work at getting him up, and had to stay with him or he'd wander off or fall down. He wasn't awake. I would test it by asking him to multiply. Apparently, he can't multiply asleep.

I really felt that waking him did keep him dry (most nights) but didn't do a thing about the problem. If I didn't wake him, he'd be wet. He wouldn't wake himself.  Our best success has been the whole "number 2 before bed" rule. Since I posted it the first time, he's continued to be dry at night. 
annie-laurie likes this.

#21 of 34 Old 09-19-2013, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Great to hear that. Glad it works for you. Thanks on the success info of waking.  can i ask how long you did wake him? every day for a month? a year? a week?  I figure that if it is to be a training method.. .he should eventually take over .. ..but, as i suspect, it will not necessarily work out that way.     BTW, i wish the elimination #2 method could work for my son but just 2 days ago, he 'went' in the evening. . ...then, peed and it even leaked out.  Oh, well.  . ..  ..good for you though!

#22 of 34 Old 09-19-2013, 06:32 AM

I woke him at night for 4-5 months.

annie-laurie likes this.

#23 of 34 Old 09-21-2013, 05:41 AM

I use Motherease Bedwetter pants on my 7.5 year old. They never ever leak and disposable ones do. Worth the $30 apiece in my opinion.
annie-laurie likes this.
#24 of 34 Old 10-09-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:

Hi there.  My son is about 55lb and 49" tall. We have used underjams and goodnights.  Sometimes we have a leak.  My ? today is for anyone with an older child who does well with a particular method or overnight pull-up type product.  Thanks!  I am considering cheaper alternative, sizse 6 diapers. . . .no traumatic issue with that.  My son is okay w/ whatever.

DD is about the same size as your son, and wets every night.  She's in pampers size 7, since we were having frequent leaks with goodnites.  They work a lot better.  If your son is ok with diapers it might be worth a try.

annie-laurie likes this.
#25 of 34 Old 10-10-2013, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for that tip, emma 415.  i don't know where to purchase them.  you? thanks

#26 of 34 Old 10-10-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:

thanks for that tip, emma 415.  i don't know where to purchase them.  you? thanks

We get them on amazon.  Finding them in stores is hit or miss.  But really, I think that size 6 are almost as big, and the size 7 is just an excuse to include fewer diapers in the package.

The biggest challenge is probably convincing him to wear them, but luckily we didn't have too much trouble with that.

annie-laurie likes this.
#27 of 34 Old 10-10-2013, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

THANKS AGAIN.  i JUST ORDERED SOME--CRUISERS.  .I AM ASSUMING AS THAT IS ALL THERE IS.

We will see.  I hope they are bigger than 6 as they do not fit well when affixing the tab.  It is just about to rip out and i tell him not to jump in them!  We tried one pkg and that is too small. thanks for info. i got them on Drugstore.com

#28 of 34 Old 10-10-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:

THANKS AGAIN.  i JUST ORDERED SOME--CRUISERS.  .I AM ASSUMING AS THAT IS ALL THERE IS.

We will see.  I hope they are bigger than 6 as they do not fit well when affixing the tab.  It is just about to rip out and i tell him not to jump in them!  We tried one pkg and that is too small. thanks for info. i got them on Drugstore.com

Hopefully they'll work for you.  Let me know how it goes.

#29 of 34 Old 10-16-2013, 07:20 PM

My son is 55 lbs and 47" and a deep sleep and night wetter. He mostly leaks when in disposable night time pants. I ended up getting him 3 super undies reusable pull ups and I use a prefold inside for a doubler and it holds most nights. Some nights it wikes to his PJ's but his sheet is dry. I also use a mattress pad under his sheet to protect his mattress if their is a leak. He also doesn't remember peeing at night or even getting woken and walked to the bathroom. He does occasionally wake himself up and go to the bathroom. We actually stopped waking him and taking him to the bathroom because I read an article about how by doing that you are encouraging him to stay in a deep sleep and not learn to respond to his own cues because the parent is doing it for him. It made sense to me. I also read how drinking a big glass of water can help and the nights DS has done that he has more then not woken up dry. It has something to do with keeping the bowels working well. I talked to my Dr. last week at my son's anual check up (he is 5.75) about him peeing at night and she talked to him about it and said that since he is not concerned about it then we just wait for his body and brain to mature. She said it is actually normal for children to wet at night up into the 9th year.

annie-laurie likes this.

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

#30 of 34 Old 10-17-2013, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Hi there Butterfly Mom!  I am perplexed now.  So, you are saying that your son drinks right before bed? or.. .when?   I just know that esp on those later soup snacks or drink days, my son's pull up will invariably leak out it's so full.  Maybe you are suggesting to be sure to hydrate all day? Please let me know. Interested.  Sometimes it seems my son waits until bedtime to admit to himself that he's thirsty!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page