My 6 year old keeps wetting herself!--help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-24-2013, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am due with our 4th child in December, and my biggest hope is that before this baby is born, I could have my 6 1/2 yo DD not having daytime accidents!  (She never wets at night...her 8 1/2 yo brother does that). We have ruled out a UTI and have been giving her magnesium (though not as regularly as we should) in case this is related to constipation.  It has been going on for at least a year (probably 18 months) and I don't believe it is for attention.  She seems embarrassed if it happens at a friend's house.  However at home sometimes I will find she is in somewhat wet undies, not caring.  When I see her showing signs of needing to go, she says she doesn't need to go...and then a few minutes later I tell her she *needs* to go use the bathroom, upon which she goes.  But other times, if I don't catch this (we homeschool and life is nutty..she has a 3.3 yo sister who *also* has her share of wet pants, even though when we are out and about she normally tells me, and she I believe has an awareness but just doesn't want to go use the potty), she ends up fully wetting her pants and undies.  Can I just say, I am so tired of pee in this house? Up to this point I have resisted "rewards" for going to the potty, but I am at my wits end.  I strive to follow a more unconditional parenting approach here but must say I am worn out at the moment and have been threatening and punishing for so many things...yuck.  Anyway I am hoping you ladies might be able to suggest some things that could get my girls using the potty so that this baby doesn't end up potty trained before they are.  I need to be dealing with less pee in this house, please!

Thanks!

#2 of 6 Old 09-24-2013, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I don't know if this is going to be useful or not, but could you have pee times every 2 hours or so?  Maybe set an alarm, and everyone goes to pee at that time, whether they need to or not.  Also, I assume the 6 year old is taking care of her own wet undies, putting them in the hamper, etc?  Maybe once they get used to going to pee every few hours, they will start pausing whatever activity to go pee themselves?  My 5 year old was having night time accidents, so we started waking him up at 2am and then when dh would wake up to go to work.  After about a month, ds started holding his pee for longer at night and waking up himself if he had to use the bathroom at night.  He still has accidents once in a while, but maybe once a month or so, not every night like it used to be.  I think sometimes it's stopping the cycle that's helpful.  

Bennifer likes this.
#3 of 6 Old 09-24-2013, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I would look for a food trigger or some other external trigger. For my DD it was juice and baths, especially bubble baths. She still has to pee a lot more frequently if she has juice but she makes it now.
Bennifer likes this.
#4 of 6 Old 09-24-2013, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

She had wet underwear (and seemed not bothered by it) 4 or 5 times today!  Just a little wet 4 of the times; once she was very wet and went and changed herself.  I am usually not on top of asking her to check if her underwear is wet and today I kept asking, and every.time.I asked. she was a bit wet!  Do you think I should take her to a urologist? Or do a food sensitivity test?  Which would be better?

#5 of 6 Old 09-25-2013, 12:49 PM

I recently read a book called "it's not an accident", related to urinary and bowel incontinence. It was  helpful for our situation (night time wetness). You might find it helpful as well.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#6 of 6 Old 09-25-2013, 03:11 PM

We had a bit of an issue with this ourselves.  Just personally (because we never ended up seeing our ped or anyone else about it at the time) - and knowing my dd, it seemed like she was just always putting off going to the bathroom and it was all stemming from that.  She'd feel kinda uncomfortable or itchy, she wasn't having full-out accidents.  She was always choosing to keep doing fun/other thing and not prioritizing getting in bathroom breaks during the day (so, you know hours and hours would be going by. . .).   A lot of the symptoms she had seemed really sporadic and didn't really seem to point to anything specifically  

I got her some pantyliners - we tried to get minor stuff to support any other possible issues (cranberry juice, limiting bubble bath, etc.).  I pushed her more to get her bathroom breaks in.  I taught her a little about kegels.  It seemed to resolve quickly for us with the extra support and awareness from us all at home.

That said, not a bad idea to check in with a urologist at all.  I'd suspect they'd be able to give you a good idea of what to do to support your dd right now.  And it always helps to know whether something is/isn't a big issue.    

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page