When is a child ready for a Backless Booster? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-28-2013, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son is 6 1/2 and is about 44/45 lbs.  Height, I'll get back to you but when is a child ready for backless mode?  He is currently harnessed in my car in a 5 point but in DH car, he is in a Graco Turbo booster with the highjack.  DH keeps saying his head is above the seat so...

Thanks!

Mama to two wonderful boys DS1 (May 2007) and DS2 (March 2011)      

bfinfant.gif    femalesling.GIF  familybed2.giflactivist.gif

#2 of 5 Old 09-28-2013, 04:52 PM

I wouldn't put a 6 year old in a backless booster for everyday use personally. If your son's head is above the top of the turbo booster's back you might need to move the headrest higher. If you do adjust the headrest to a higher level you should ensure that the seatbelt fits him as outlined here:

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/child-boosters

If you posted this in the family safety section you'd probably get some good answers.

-Kassandra

#3 of 5 Old 09-30-2013, 06:28 AM

my almost 6 year old is still in a 5 point harness. In an pinch, I'll let her ride with just a booster, backless or otherwise, but not for every day or as a routine.  My boys (at 7) were in a backless booster in one car, but have their regular boosters, with backs, for in the van. 

I was under the impression that the backed booster was for fit, not because one was safer than the other, assuming that the child fits in both. So, if, at 6, your child fits properly with just a booster, I don't think there's improved safety between the backless and the regular booster. There is improved safety with a 5 point for as long as it fits. That's my understanding, anyway.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#4 of 5 Old 09-30-2013, 06:53 AM

Sometimes with a younger child the shoulder belt can fit a bit better in a highback booster vs a backless booster, and although there are no standards for side impact protection, IMO it stands to reason that a highback booster with headwings/side wings and added eps foam will provide more protection than not having a back at all. To me this is important for younger/smaller children. All vehicle passengers should also have support to the top of their ears (adults get this from the vehicle seat back and headrest), however some backseats have low seat backs/don't have vehicle headrests in all positions. A highback booster can provide this head support for the child provided it isn't one of the brands that requires vehicle head support as well.

#5 of 5 Old 09-30-2013, 06:55 AM

My 7 year old is in a high back booster, I'm not sure of his exact measurements but over 52 inches and over 65 lbs. IMO the advantage to a booster w a back is the seat belt is guided and better positioned for a child. Maturity is a factor too. My ds does need the occasional reminder to always face forward and sit all the way back in his seat.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page