"Boys go to college to get more knowledge . . ." - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-09-2013, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

". . . girls go to Jupiter to get more stupider."

some boys said that to 6 yo dd at after-school art program.

Taking comments.

#2 of 12 Old 10-09-2013, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

That chant has been around pretty much forever.  It's not nice, but I doubt we'll hear the end of it anytime soon.  My daughter heard it for the first time last year and she's super sensitive but her response was, "stupider isn't even a word, they are never going to get into college." 

I don't like it, I really dislike the millions of things that disparage girls as they have a hard enough time of it, but it really is a good lesson in letting things roll off.  It's not giving in or buckling under, it's rising above.  You can always tell her to report it to the art teacher if it really bothers her.

#3 of 12 Old 10-09-2013, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Ehhh. We sang the same thing 40 years ago while jumping rope. Only in reverse-we were the ones going to college,
richella likes this.
#4 of 12 Old 10-09-2013, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
My DD taught me that song in reverse. Dashing through the snow on a pair of broken skiis is also good.
#5 of 12 Old 10-09-2013, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I heard this just today in reverse. It led to an interesting discussion with my friend regarding the graduation rates for 4 year colleges and universities, which are decidedly skewed female. Which is all well and good until those college educated females wish to marry. If they wish to marry a college educated male, there simply aren't enough to go around. Granted, there are many cultural and societal norms that will play out, and plenty of women, college educated or not, won't want to marry, won't marry a male, or won't marry college educated.

The take away message is simply there are more college educated women than men, there have been for at least about 10 years, and the pattern is only growning stronger. As a mother of two boys, this is very worrisome to me. 

but maybe that's not the direction you wanted to take this conversation.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#6 of 12 Old 10-09-2013, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polliwog View Post

Ehhh. We sang the same thing 40 years ago while jumping rope. Only in reverse-we were the ones going to college,

Yep. Me too.
#7 of 12 Old 10-09-2013, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Pajama View Post

The take away message is simply there are more college educated women than men, there have been for at least about 10 years, and the pattern is only growning stronger.

I did tell her about that. We also noted that dh and I fit that pattern, and discussed which of us is smarter, ;) as well as whether my college degree and his lack of one are related to our intelligence. Also noted that most of the teachers in her school are women, and all have college degrees.

dd1 said it could be reversed, but she also corrected the grammar/word use.

I don't know if we had that when I was a kid. Sounded vaguely familiar, but not sure which way it went.

The college experience was very important to both me and dh, but neither of us works in the field we studied, and by the time our kids are of age, we don't expect the system will look anything like it does now. No telling what options will exist, or what their best choices will be. So, I don't think I'd worry about your sons yet. As a mother of daughters, I'm a lot more worried about the teen pregnancy rate here. :)

#8 of 12 Old 10-09-2013, 04:34 PM

Yup that has been around for a long time.  We also did "Boys/girls go to Jupiter to get more stupider, Boys/girls go to Mars to eat more candy bars."  We can hope that one day the gender wars of Elementary school will end, but I doubt it. 

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

#9 of 12 Old 10-09-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancoda View Post

Yup that has been around for a long time.  We also did "Boys/girls go to Jupiter to get more stupider, Boys/girls go to Mars to eat more candy bars."  We can hope that one day the gender wars of Elementary school will end, but I doubt it. 

I don't know about anyone else but Ima go to Mars! Yum...
momasana likes this.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#10 of 12 Old 10-09-2013, 05:59 PM

I don't think I've heard this rhyme, but my great-grandmother, when asked where she was going, would answer, "Up in the air, to get green hair," or "Out to Mars, for candy bars." I like those better. :-)
dalia likes this.

Michelle, wife to DH, and momma to DD16, DS15, DS12, DS10, DD9, DD7, DS5, and baby girl born Christmas Eve 2013!
#11 of 12 Old 10-09-2013, 07:26 PM

OK sort of off the original topic - but interesting comment none the less....my 18 yr old DD was musing one day that 3 out of 4 of her grandmothers (two are step-grandmas)  have a Masters degree of some sort - all 4 have a 4yr degree - NONE of the 4 grandfathers finished college.....i have a 4 yr degree - my XDH never finished college - ...so she commented that the women in our family were MUCH smarter than the men ....until my DH pointed out that BOTH of my younger brothers finished a 4 yr degree - then went on to marry women with doctorates (a PHD in English and an exotic animal vet!)  ....so DH feels these boys are pretty darn clever after all....lol 

richella likes this.

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#12 of 12 Old 10-10-2013, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

It's just one of those silly chants, but it's good for spurring discussion!

The similar one I heard from my cousin, interrupted by his mom, was:

The girls go to Mars, to drive bumper cars.

The boys go to Venus, to play with their--

THAT'S ENOUGH!!!

:eyesroll

richella likes this.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page