How often do you wash your child's hair? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 10-18-2013, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD just turned 2.  We bathe and wash hair 3x/week or so.  She doesn't mind; although sometimes she doesn't like the rinsing.  I use a small amount of chemical-free shampoo/bodywash. 

Frankly I'd wash her hair a little less frequently if she weren't in the habit of running her food-covered fingers through it :)

mamazee likes this.
#32 of 42 Old 10-19-2013, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Dd 2 and I wash our hair once a week. Dd1 used to have weekly shampoos, too, but for the past two years, she has been doing morning showers, and washing and conditioning her hair in the shower each morning, and that is how she combs through her long, thick curly hair.

Dd2 has long hair, too, and what she likes is to keep her hair in two braids (even at night) to keep it from getting too tangled. At some point each day, I take out each braid, one at a time, give her head a good scratching, brush her hair, and rebraid it. After the weekly shampoo, along with conditioning and combing through it in the shower, I rebraid it again while it's still wet. I'm so glad we started doing the braids because even though her hair's not as curly as dd1's, it still tangles quite easily when it's left down.

Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).
#33 of 42 Old 10-19-2013, 05:26 AM

P.S. When each girl was smaller and went through a period of not liking water being poured over her head, I would often get a big, thick washcloth good and wet and just rub it all over her scalp really well while she was in the bathtub.

Also, each of them went through a time of preferring to lie back in the tub to wet and rinse her hair, rather than having the water poured on. Now they both prefer showers to baths.

#34 of 42 Old 10-19-2013, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post

Daily baths and hair washing is the general rule around here.  I sometimes go longer with my hair bc it is very dry from being colored, but my kids have been taught proper hygiene from the start...kids play hard and get dirty and therefore must be bathed daily.

That said, if it's a lazy indoor day or maybe a rare cold day in the winter, we might skip one day.  But only one, never two.

Ditto....Every night is def a must in the warmer months...In the winter we may skip a day but not two....

#35 of 42 Old 10-19-2013, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidsalmostgrown View Post

As a hairstylist at a children's salon I've seen it all! When we talk about hair washing we can't all be given the same advice because we all have different hair types, skin types, what kinds of products we have access to and how much time we have in our schedules, etc, etc. My professional advice is this: Hair products contain a lot of potentially harmful substances for our children, ironically baby shampoo is one of the worst!

Thanks for the useful tips, @Kidsalmostgrown.  Hair-washing around here happens once a week or less for the kids, and their classmates do not know the difference!  In fact, my oldest DD (now a fourth grader) frequently has classmates playing with her long, beautiful hair when I visit her classroom. 

On another subject, I think we should all be careful about the words we teach our children to associate with their bodies.  We are not gross. Our bodies and hair in their natural state are not gross.  It may be possible to send the wrong message to our children when we go overboard on hygiene.  It took me years to get the words my mother used about our bodies (Like the word nasty) out of my personal body image. 

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#36 of 42 Old 10-19-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPai View Post

On another subject, I think we should all be careful about the words we teach our children to associate with their bodies.  We are not gross. Our bodies and hair in their natural state are not gross.  It may be possible to send the wrong message to our children when we go overboard on hygiene.  It took me years to get the words my mother used about our bodies (Like the word nasty) out of my personal body image.

I totally agree!

BennyPai and Kidsalmostgrown like this.

#37 of 42 Old 10-19-2013, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I was absolutely stunned when our next door neighbor and a TERRIFIC mother told me: "Did you hear S. screaming today? She got paint all over her hair and we had to wash it for the first time in her life...She's always hated water and was only OK with wash cloth". The girl was close to 3 years of age when that happened. I saw her almost daily and her hair never looked oily or dirty.

I personally wash my kids' hair once or twice a week. I wash mine every 2-3 days. However, with the exception of certain areas (like hands, armpits, private area and legs whenever I shave them) I have not been using soap on my skin for the past 20 years or so and neither on my kids' skin, unless they are incredibly dirty. Just plain water bath or shower does just fine and I always get complements on how amazing my skin looks. I too think that excessive washing with soap/shampoo is not good. Not only it washes out body's oils drying out skin and forcing it to produce more oil, but it also disrupts bacterial balance on the skin, washing out good bacteria which keeps in check harmful germs, protecting us from unwanted pathogens.

I think that if a person feels dirty without being soaped on a daily basis (unless they have work that makes them objectively dirty or very sweaty), it would be a good idea to look deeper and try to find what it really is that makes them feel dirty about themselves. Just my opinion.

Kidsalmostgrown likes this.
#38 of 42 Old 10-20-2013, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Never in a million years would I have ever thought I'd be typing these words... We almost never wash the boys' hair. They get a bath maybe twice a week or whenever the mood strikes them, and maybe one of those times each week I wash their hair with water only, no shampoo. The little one has sensory issues and can barely stand to have his scalp scrubbed and is completely unable to keep his head tilted back enough to rinse soap out. He also cannot tolerate water on his neck, so.... That's that for him. Thankfully, he does NOT lie around on the ground, or on the bathroom floor ANYWHERE.  My older son hates using soap on his head/face. I don't know why. He just can't do it. So I make sure he washes his face well enough with water after meals and before bed, and if it's bad, he has to use soap. His hair doesn't ever seem to smell or get dirty, so I wash it with water only too, and scrub his scalp and it looks fine.

FTR, my hairstylist (you know, the people whose jobs have suddenly become all about selling "product" rather than cutting hair?) told me it's best not to use shampoo, that it's not necessary and can damage hair, etc. and challenged me to stop using it. (I used to shampoo and condition every day, twice on days I had a tough workout or went out in the evening.) She does sell lots of styling products, etc. but I don't use any and she says my hair is healthier than that of any of her clients. So I'm good with no shampoo on the kids.

I think that you have to do what works for you and for her -- if you can get her hair looking healthy and clean without shampooing, great. If she needs a sudsing up every week or every other day, then do that.

#39 of 42 Old 10-20-2013, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
For the longest time in our house I was a bath only when needed for our kids. They both had eczema as babies/toddlers and the water made it worse. Now that they are 8 & 5 they need baths more. The youngest baths whenever she feels like it, which is a lot as she loves them, but at minimum twice a week with a hair wash on Sunday's. The oldest we are striving for a shower/bath three times a week with a hair wash on Sunday's. We try and wash hair as little as possible because my oldest keeps getting lice notice's sent home and they don't like dirty hair. Plus we braid hair at night for less knots during sleep and put it up someway (again for the lice) every day. And neither child likes to get dirty as much as I've tried to encourage it over the years... So they both stay pretty clean. My oldest could get away with bathing less but she has come to the convulsion that she feels better after a shower and doesn't want to stink so it's her own want as we've talked about ways to keep our bodies happy and healthy.

I think we often overbathe our children, as long as they aren't obviously dirty or have been doing dirty activities then I don't see a need for daily bathing. 1-3x a week is good depending on age and dirt level in our house smile.gif

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30****35******

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#40 of 42 Old 10-20-2013, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
We bathe our 1-year-old twice a week, and his hair is washed both times. It's only been recently we added the second bath.

Frankly, I find the assumptions that anyone who bathes/shampoos less frequently than you do is dirty, smelly, and/or gross to be very rude. Unless you've actually met the person in question, it's impossible to tell if they are any dirtier, smellier, or grosser than you. All of our bodies are different.
BennyPai and MrsNichols like this.

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, and one (9/13 @ 7w 6d); PCOS
*4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40** Oct 2014 - it's a
#41 of 42 Old 10-22-2013, 10:40 PM

My now 4yo was/is the same way.  She mostly was trying to avoid getting soap in her eyes, since we do not use tearless shampoos.  I wash her hair when it is dirty so maybe once a week or every other week (sometimes longer between washings LOL!)  We do bath more frequently without washing hair.  I don't feel that more frequent washings are necessary and it just wasn't worth the fight.  

It is no longer an issue, but we still do not wash hair as frequently as other posters.  Some things that have helped:

having her tip her head way back to rinse with a cup and using a wash cloth to keep water/soap out of her eyes and face

If it isn't too dirty, giving her the choice of washing her hair this time or at her next bath, and then reminding her at the beginning of her next bath that we will be washing hair, like she had decided.  Some level of control and plenty of warning seem to help here.

Also letting her know that it is important to take care of our bodies and part of that is keeping our hair clean.  I gave her the choice of getting it cut short if she didn't want to wash her hair as often.  She loves Rapunzel and so agreed that she would let me wash her hair more often without fighting, in order to keep her longer hair.  Occasionally we do have to be gently reminded of this choice.  If you are not willing to cut hair short, or are unsure of how your child may answer this could backfire.  :)

Hair washing has become much easier here.  Hang in there.  Wash when needed, and try to avoid making it a constant fight.  Good Luck!

#42 of 42 Old 10-23-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:

If it isn't too dirty, giving her the choice of washing her hair this time or at her next bath, and then reminding her at the beginning of her next bath that we will be washing hair, like she had decided.  Some level of control and plenty of warning seem to help here.

Oh, I love that idea. Thanks!

Tags
Natural Hair Care , Child

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page