tips on helping a child cope with a teacher who yells? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-18-2013, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DD is in kindergarten and is saying she doesn't like school because the teacher yells a lot. She says she doesn't want to go to school, is asking to go to a different school or be homeschooled.

Short of switching her to a different school, does anyone have advice on helping a child with this issue? Changing to a different class within the school is not an option.

She is a "good," rule-following kid, and the teacher has told her, "When I'm yelling, I'm never yelling at you. When I say, 'everybody,' I don't mean you." But understandably, DD still hates the yelling.

The teacher has been at the school 13 years, and I don't think it's likely we're going to be able to change the way she manages the classroom.

Maybe we should have yelled more around the house when she was little, to build up her tolerance. eyesroll.gif Because her parents, grandparents, and preschool teachers weren't yellers, I don't think she's ever experienced anything like this before.

We would like to try to make this school work for DD before we give up on it. Ideas, advice?
#2 of 3 Old 10-18-2013, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Have you observed the classroom to see what kind of yelling is going on?   Is the teacher raising her voice to be heard or is she yelling at the children because she cannot control them otherwise? 

I would have a problem with a teacher yelling, even if they told my children they weren't yelling at them specifically. To me it indicates lack of control and it is disrespectful to the students.  If a 7th grade teacher yelled now and then I would maybe understand...but a kindergarten teacher? No way.  

I want my children to feel comfortable with the adults they spend their days with. Being yelled at or hearing other kids get yelled at would be very upsetting for my little one.     Is there another classroom your DD can switch to?

mrsfatty likes this.
#3 of 3 Old 10-20-2013, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Teachers have class sizes big enough to be not heard and they have to talk over the kids. I used to substittue and find that it's harder to get the younger kids to hear you. 5th graders and older seem to know the 'order.' I don't agree with it but I understand that teacher's aren't left with a choice many times. They have to get a lot of work finished and they have deadlines like before the winter break finish an x amt etc. A friend of mine is a pre-k teacher and she was telling me that they spend like I think, 40% of the time just in controlling rather than in instruction in the sense getting the class to be quiet etc

When the thoughts we think are the same as the words we speak, others will feel our integrity ~ Unknown

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page