General Anesthesia Risks/Alternatives for my 5 year old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-28-2013, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 5 year old boy has been sticking his fingers in his mouth lately and I finally asked him why. (Duh!) Turns out an ankylosed molar (stuck to his jaw bone) has started to give him pain and he just never told me. I took him into the dentist who recommends oral surgery to remove it under general anesthesia at the hospital. He said the surgery could last anywhere form half and hour to an hour and a half depending on how much bone needs to be cut. It's a major surgery and the resulting hole to his sinuses will have to be closed up properly. I feel so overwhelmed and am already distrusting of the dentist due to the fact that they took 7 bite wing x-rays and a full panorama... which seemed like way too much risk of radiation to me.

I feel so unprepared. What should I know about general anesthesia for young children? Anyone know of good studies on the effects/risks/alternatives?

Are there any feasible alternatives? My son is cooperative and not at all scared of the dentist or doctor.

#2 of 10 Old 10-28-2013, 10:18 PM

As a peds nurse, I can tell you if you have to come to this forum to ask these questions, it means those things were not adequately explained to your satisfaction. If you are in doubt about the anesthesia you need to ask for it to be explained again. The bigger issue is that this surgery sounds very involved. It might be good to take the xrays and getting a second opinion so you feel satisfied that it's necessary and/or what to expect. Good luck!

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#3 of 10 Old 10-29-2013, 07:04 AM

I agree, get a second opinion.

#4 of 10 Old 10-29-2013, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I had a dentist offer GA for normal cavity repairs with my toddler, we declined that and had them wrap him up and use nitrous. For this it sounds needed though. Definitely see another dentist to double check, bringing the xrays so they don't have to do more of them, especially for your own peace of mind since you don't trust this one so much. So sorry he has to go through all this (and you too).

#5 of 10 Old 10-29-2013, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I think a second opinion with a pediatric dentist is a good thing but I think that taking that many xrays to get a complete picture of the teeth it could mean the dentist wanted to be very sure surgery was absolutely necessary. I wouldn't do a surgery that involved in the office and I doubt there are doctors who will.

My DD had in office sedation and was more lethargic afterwards than when she gad GA to repair a broken bone. I'd go with the GA.
#6 of 10 Old 10-30-2013, 09:43 AM

Second opinions are always good.  Meet with whatever surgeon you had recommended, meet with another if you don't feel at ease or like things are explained well (and assuming you don't need to rush into this surgery asap and your son isn't in severe pain over this at the moment.).  Usually the surgeons are actually really good at meeting with you about your issues.  You're a good mom for paying attention to the problem and taking him in now.  I'm sure the x-rays are needed for the surgery and that's mainly why they were so comprehensive.  :hug

Keeping up with superb nutrition is always a good idea in times like this.  I've read about cholera, spirulina, wheatgrass, and seaweeds in general being especially helpful for xrays/radiation.  As well as extra vitamins A,C, and E.  And miso.  All things you'd be able to give easily in smoothies/soups to a young kid or are in your basic multivitamin (or other kid-friendly vitamins).  

#7 of 10 Old 10-30-2013, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkimum View Post

I've read about cholera ... being especially helpful for xrays/radiation.

Chlorophyll?

#8 of 10 Old 10-30-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hennaLisa View Post

My 5 year old boy has been sticking his fingers in his mouth lately and I finally asked him why. (Duh!) Turns out an ankylosed molar (stuck to his jaw bone) has started to give him pain and he just never told me. I took him into the dentist who recommends oral surgery to remove it under general anesthesia at the hospital. He said the surgery could last anywhere form half and hour to an hour and a half depending on how much bone needs to be cut. It's a major surgery and the resulting hole to his sinuses will have to be closed up properly. I feel so overwhelmed and am already distrusting of the dentist due to the fact that they took 7 bite wing x-rays and a full panorama... which seemed like way too much risk of radiation to me.

I feel so unprepared. What should I know about general anesthesia for young children? Anyone know of good studies on the effects/risks/alternatives?

Are there any feasible alternatives? My son is cooperative and not at all scared of the dentist or doctor.

I'm sure he will be fine. Surely the doctor has performed this procedure before. My oldest daughter has had tonsillectomy and tubes in her ears as did my oldest son. My youngest child has had tubes as well. They all needed general anesthesia. My  oldest daughter was also hospitalized about 8 years ago for a life threatening illness and had plasma run through her body and had IV's and everything for a couple of weeks. Trust me, there are children that go through much worse.

Single (divorced), self-employed working, college student MOM to:

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

#9 of 10 Old 10-30-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn View Post

Chlorophyll?

Omg, yes- chlorophyll. duh.gif.

Sorry I didn't catch the odd change there of my misspelled word. And I was all concerned about spelling spirulina correctly.
#10 of 10 Old 11-04-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hennaLisa View Post

then take your child to another dentist for a second opinion?

Single (divorced), self-employed working, college student MOM to:

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page