10 year old 5th grader still believes in Santa - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-30-2013, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

and I'm ok with that, but I'm concerned that this year with be the year that Santa gets "outed" Should I, because she's 10, and a 5th grader, tell her the truth before someone else does, or just let it be and hope that no one else does? Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 10-30-2013, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
My nine-year-old DS is a true believer. I'm not saying anything unless he asks me directly.
#3 of 9 Old 10-31-2013, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Actually, I wanted to post this to the preteen/teen forum but it wouldn't let me. Anyone know why? 

#4 of 9 Old 11-01-2013, 10:35 PM

i believed in Santa until i was 10. i was raised without religion, but i have a strong belief in God.

and i would say that having something to believe in helped me to be able to believe in God later. if that makes sense to you, it does to me.

don't tell her. let her come to her own conclusions in her own time.

mama2mygirl likes this.
#5 of 9 Old 11-01-2013, 11:16 PM

I was that age when I woke up in the middle of the night and found out that Santa was my mom.  I was heartbroken!  I had just been having a 'Santa-is-real' argument at school.  My defense was that it couldn't be my mom because she would NEVER lie to me... I felt so betrayed.  But how can you suddenly tell you child that you are Santa after that long?  Really... what can you do but just continue to play Santa, right?

#6 of 9 Old 11-02-2013, 06:54 AM

I would "accidentally" drop a hint or two.  Like, "I know you want that, but I don't know if I'll--oops!  I mean Santa--will get it for you."  

I have taught 5th grade for many years and have NEVER had a class that didn't talk about how obviously Santa didn't exist.  I do teach in a district with many Jewish families, so that may be part of it.  But a few years ago I had a student who really truly believed until the class disabused her of that belief, and she cried a bit and was quite embarrassed.  

I think about it the same way I would tell my kid that the stork doesn't bring babies.  Just my opinion.  :)

Mommy to DD 5-07
#7 of 9 Old 11-02-2013, 11:36 AM

We've always talked about the Spirit of Santa in our house.  My oldest dd, also a 10 year old 5th grader, still "believes" but it is decision she has made. She has also helped me pick out gifts that Santa or the Halloween Fairy give her little sister and we both agree that Santa or the fairies need help and helping is a good thing.  We do homeschool, though, and a handful of her friends are big believers.

:Mama to 2 :
#8 of 9 Old 11-02-2013, 01:30 PM

Ooh, that's a tricky situation.  I love the idea of still having that magic of believing in Santa.  However, you are probably right that this year will be the year that someone at school spills the beans.  I wonder if there's a movie that can gently make her question it.

My son realized that Santa wasn't real when he was looking at old pics from Christmas years ago.  I had given him an easel and wrote on it "From Santa".  He noticed that it was my handwriting!  heh heh.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#9 of 9 Old 11-02-2013, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2mygirl View Post

We've always talked about the Spirit of Santa in our house.  My oldest dd, also a 10 year old 5th grader, still "believes" but it is decision she has made. She has also helped me pick out gifts that Santa or the Halloween Fairy give her little sister and we both agree that Santa or the fairies need help and helping is a good thing.  We do homeschool, though, and a handful of her friends are big believers.

Yep. I told my 10 year old some time last year. He looked at me and wanted to know why I would tell him such a thing. He told me that he was going to pretend we'd never had the conversation. So he knows, but acts as if he doesn't.

augustjunebug likes this.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page