Getting Ready for Thanksgiving Dinner - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-27-2013, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a very spirited, high needs six year old (seven in February) in addition to two easier younger kids (3 and newborn). Every formal meal with extended family I've left very embarrassed. We constantly work on manners, but they don't seem to stick. Tomorrow, we will go to my parents' for Thanksgiving. Behavior I really would like to see:

*eating with mouth closed

*talking only when her mouth is empty

*keeping food in her mouth

*if someone offers her something she doesn't like, say, "No thank you;" if she tries something she doesn't like, just leave it on her plate

*respond to people when they talk to her

*sitting on her butt on the seat of the chair with all four legs of the chair on the floor

*talking in a quiet, calm voice

*no making faces at people or eye rolling

*staying aware of her body and giving other people and things space

*talking respectfully to others in a peaceful voice (no whining, no name calling, no bossing)

*taking a break when she gets angry, upset, or rambunctious

We pretty much have a problem with every single thing on this list. I've talked pretty much non-stop about these behaviors with her for months with no progress. We've tried having fancy tea parties like Felicity of the American Girl series to stress good manners. We've read lots of books on manners and anger management. Any suggestions on how to keep her behavior relatively polite? I often feel really frustrated with her out-of-control behavior when we go places.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#2 of 3 Old 11-27-2013, 08:37 PM

I don't suppose you have enough kids in the family for a "kids' table"?

For tomorrow, how about rehearsing "I'm finished eating, Mom.  May I be excused, please?"

Then breathe and realize that she'll figure it out before she goes off to college.  My DS is 4, and I'm confident that some day he'll be able to put a cracker or chip in his mouth without it exploding all over the table.  Some day . . . 

#3 of 3 Old 11-30-2013, 08:04 AM

How did it go?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page