Looking for a HOMEMADE Christmas gift idea for a 10yr old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-29-2013, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a holiday tradition of making our children at least one homemade gift, usually one from mom, one from dad. Last year I made everyone a pair of PJs. This year David is building a large schoolhouse chalkboard for the younger 4 children and I am sewing the 4yrDD a mermaid doll. But I'm looking for ideas for my 10yr old DD. While she will use the chalkboard, it is really more of a gift for the younger ones. Past homemade gifts she has gotten: her own mermaid doll, sweater (couldn't knit something new right now), clothes for her lovey bear, walking blocks, balance beam, etc. The only thing I can think of is to make her her own cookbook, but that seems a bit lame....any suggestions? She is an artsy, very phyiscal kid.
#2 of 4 Old 11-29-2013, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

How about instead of actually 'making' the item you give her the supplies and set aside time to teach her to knit/crochet?   Get her some yarn in fun colors and some decent knitting needles and possibly a kid/teen knitting book.  She is at the point where the supplies are going to be more fun because she gets to direct the outcome!

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#3 of 4 Old 11-30-2013, 12:41 AM

I like that idea of a craft set and you two can learn together.

My 10yo DD has been asking my dh to make her a wooden table and some stools for her doll house. 

I used to LOVE it when my grandma made me a whole tin of magic bars just for me.

Maybe you repaint her dresser or desk custom to her room or her likes or favorite colors. 

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#4 of 4 Old 12-01-2013, 10:13 AM

I think this is a great family tradition. My husband and I made something for our kids when they were born, but to do it each year at Christmas sounds so wonderful. Thanks for the idea. I also like your cookbook idea, especially if you were able to compile a few recipes that had been in the family for a long time from relatives or something. Anyway, without knowing your daughter at all, here are some suggestions.

A decorated picture frame with a picture of the two of you or of the family.

A homemade sewn reusable shopping bag in a pattern that she would like.

If you have access to carpentry tools, maybe a homemade wooden "treasure box" or a simple easel.

A friendship bracelet along with extra supplies so she can make some herself.

A photo album, or mini scrap book, celebrating her first decade (maybe would have been a better as a birthday gift).

A no-sew fleece blanket. Basically two pieces of fleece with different designs (usually one patterned, one solid color) with the fringe tied together. They seem pretty easy to make and I love the one someone made me.

A sewn apron or maybe an artist's smock with pockets if she likes to paint.

Good luck!

DaughterOfKali likes this.

SAHM of newborn boy, 2 year old girl, and 4 year old boy. Visit my website: http://researchparent.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page