Longer/chapter book suggestions for nearly 5 year old?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 49 Old 12-16-2013, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter is almost 5 and is interested in having longer books read to her at night.  We just finished "Trumpet of the Swan", and are starting "Charlotte's Web", but with the exception of Stuart Little and the Little House on the Prairie series I'm at a loss.....especially because I think some chapters in Trumpet of the Swan were a little too long at times. 

Suggestions for chapter books (ideally with some pictures) welcome!!

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#2 of 49 Old 12-16-2013, 04:15 PM

American Girl books are great! Especially the "classic" characters from historical eras.

starsmagick likes this.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#3 of 49 Old 12-16-2013, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
If she liked Little House, there's a series by Rebecca Caudill that's very sweet, about the Fairchild Family.

You might also start doing some Ramona?
learnlovebe and starsmagick like this.
#4 of 49 Old 12-17-2013, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Here are my chapter book recommendations.  Also, would she like mysteries?  I started reading Trixie Belden and Nancy Drew and The Famous Five at that age and loved them.  My son is more into magic, so I haven't been reading him mysteries so much.  Here are some books he's enjoyed since I made my list, that I think are suitable for a 5-year-old:

Half Magic by Edward Eager

Oz series by L. Frank Baum

The B.F.G. by Roald Dahl

Jenny and the Cat Club by Esther Averill

Quote:
 I think some chapters in Trumpet of the Swan were a little too long at times. 

Maybe instead of "one chapter a night" you need a time limit, or you could flip ahead to see how many pages in the chapter and announce where you will stop.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#5 of 49 Old 12-17-2013, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Astrid Lindgren's Noisy Village, Troublemaker Street, Pippi Longstocking, or Emil books

The Jamie and Angus Stories

Winnie-the Pooh

My Father's Dragon (and sequels)

The Boxcar Children

the Catwings books

No Flying in the House

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

The Night Fairy

Did You Carry the Flag Today, Charley?

Betsy-Tacy (if your kid can handle the chapter where a baby dies)

Toys Go Out (and sequels)

learnlovebe likes this.
#6 of 49 Old 12-17-2013, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My DD really enjoyed "The Wind in the Willows". It's old-fashioned but really great. As a kid I LOVED "The Secret Garden".

Granola-ey, crunchy, marathoning, natural living Christian mamatreehugger.gif down south with DHguitar.gif and DD1 (6)dust.gif, DD2 (2)energy.gif, and DD3 babygirl.gif.    homebirth.jpgwinner.jpgcd.giffemalesling.GIFgoorganic.jpghomeschool.gif
#7 of 49 Old 12-18-2013, 05:56 AM

We're reading Raggedy Ann (with heavy censoring for racism), Paddington Bear, love Winnie the Pooh.

treehugger.gifhbac.gif mama to DD violin.gif(4/05) and DD modifiedartist.gif(7/08),​ wife to DP geek.gif, and co-living with 3 wee beastiescat.gif
#8 of 49 Old 12-18-2013, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much Mamas!  This is very helpful (and please continue to chime in!).  I'm not familiar with some of those, and I can't believe I forgot about Beverly Cleary!!  I actually bought a multi-book set (just Ramona...don't even remember) soon after she was born that must still be buried in a box from when we moved (4 years ago...sigh).  Honestly, I'm absolutely giddy that we're moving into this stage.  Right before we started on the EB White books we were in the throes of a Berenstain Bears marathon, and I'm ready to take a walk down a sunny dirt road deep in bear country and chop down a certain bear family's tree house!

Off to Amazon to do some shopping.  Happy Holidays!

:)

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#9 of 49 Old 12-18-2013, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Anne of Green Gables (and the rest in the series!)

Pollyanna

Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm

My kids aren't quite to this point yet, but I'm guilty of reading Little House in the Big Woods to baby DD. :throb

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#10 of 49 Old 12-18-2013, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I was just about to suggest Beverly Cleary!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#11 of 49 Old 12-18-2013, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

books about the Moffat family by Eleanor Estes

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#12 of 49 Old 12-19-2013, 05:12 PM

How about magic treehouse? My son is really enjoying those. We read a chapter or 2 a night.

Ryan 08-28-08  & Julianna 5-3-11
#13 of 49 Old 12-19-2013, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crayfishgirl View Post

Right before we started on the EB White books we were in the throes of a Berenstain Bears marathon, and I'm ready to take a walk down a sunny dirt road deep in bear country and chop down a certain bear family's tree house!

:)

Me too!!! Funny thing is is that I had MY parents read them to me constantly when I was DDs, age...I feel their pain now!

Granola-ey, crunchy, marathoning, natural living Christian mamatreehugger.gif down south with DHguitar.gif and DD1 (6)dust.gif, DD2 (2)energy.gif, and DD3 babygirl.gif.    homebirth.jpgwinner.jpgcd.giffemalesling.GIFgoorganic.jpghomeschool.gif
#14 of 49 Old 12-19-2013, 08:49 PM

Yay! My excessive nerdiness can finally be useful to someone. I compiled lists from several books like 100 Best Books for Children and 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up and grouped them by age and based on how often each book was recommended. At the 5-year-old, kindergarten level most of the recommended books are still pictures books. However, since you're reading the chapter books to her, she can probably understand material written at a much higher level. Please check out the recommendations for early elementary (1st and 2nd grade) and mid-elementary (3rd and 4th grade). Some of the most often recommended first read-aloud chapter books in addition to E.B. White and Beverly Cleary, which have already been mentioned several times, are My Father's Dragon (which my almost 4 year old enjoyed) and Mr. Popper's Penguins (which is next on our list to read).

If you want to download something to print or reference on your phone, I also put files here:

http://researchparent.com/wp-content/uploads/Best-Books-for-Kindergarteners.pdf

http://researchparent.com/wp-content/uploads/Best-Books-for-Early-Elementary.pdf

http://researchparent.com/wp-content/uploads/Best-Books-for-Mid-Elementary.pdf

SAHM of newborn boy, 2 year old girl, and 4 year old boy. Visit my website: http://researchparent.com
#15 of 49 Old 12-20-2013, 01:37 PM

To OP: Your excitement for this new phase really comes through on your posts! :D I am enjoying reading novels to my kids now, too. 

We love Beverly Cleary, especially the "Ralph S. Mouse" books.. there are three. My almost six year old finds them entertaining. Judy Blume writes some great kids novels too. I know a lot of parents don't seem to like the Junie B. Jones books, but kids do! There are a lot of them, too. Junie B. got my son to start reading without a fight. He LOL's at her antics 

Roald Dahl is great too, although I haven't read his books since I was a kid. I got an AMAZING deal on a 15 book boxed set of his books, so my kids will be getting that for Christmas. I hope they're as great as I remember :-)

#16 of 49 Old 12-22-2013, 08:04 PM

My daughter loved the junie b jones books being read to her at that age

Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

#17 of 49 Old 12-29-2013, 08:08 AM

subbing

mama to one '07 and one '09
#18 of 49 Old 12-30-2013, 09:02 PM

We started chapter books about 6 months ago, and it's so fun!!

We like Junie B Jones and Junie B First Grader (the character is kind of a snot, but we discuss that.). I find them hysterical.

Magic Treehouse

Cam Jansen

Rainbow Fairies and Rescue Princesses. These are fluff books, but my 5yo adores them and spends all her free time reading them. I think it's important to follow their passions, and after one of these that we read together, I try to get in a Little House book.

We are about to start Nancy Clancy, and I can't wait!!

So far EB White and Roald Dahl fell a bit flat. That was closer to a year ago though, so I might try again soon.

Amanda

#19 of 49 Old 12-30-2013, 11:08 PM

My 6 yo loves the Ivy and Bean series
#20 of 49 Old 12-31-2013, 12:00 AM

Roald Dahl for sure!  I think The BFG is probably the best to start with, but we recently did James and the Giant Peach.  Some friends of ours are really into The Magic Treehouse series and I've checked them out too.  My DS is only 4yo and I try and keep it pretty low-key at bedtime these days (so his imagination doesn't get the better of him when he's trying to fall asleep).  At night we have been reading Else Holmlund Minarik (Little Bear books), Arnold Lobel (Frog and Toad, etc), Esther Averill (Jenny Linsky and the Cat Club books), and Winnie the Pooh (of which he is not too fond).

#21 of 49 Old 12-31-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama505 View Post

At night we have been reading Else Holmlund Minarik (Little Bear books), Arnold Lobel (Frog and Toad, etc), Esther Averill (Jenny Linsky and the Cat Club books), and Winnie the Pooh (of which he is not too fond).

Winnie the Pooh is really odd. It was the first chapter book I tried reading to my son at 3 and a half years and I was shocked that he loved it. I was actually more shocked that I loved it. Of course I've known about Winnie the Pooh my entire life, but the movies, tv shows, watered down books, etc. really don't do it justice. The original A.A. Milne books, in my opinion, are hilarious in that the author's dry humor shines through. I thought some of it was so funny I would read passages to my husband after my son would fall asleep. Of course my son missed all that, which was why I was surprised he liked them too, but I think that he took them so literally and the plot lines were so simple, that he was able to enjoy them with minimal explanation. Now, 6 months later, he's less interested in them....we didn't quite make it through The House at Pooh Corner, but he hasn't asked to finish it.

Anyway, I'm not sure what type of child it takes to like Winnie the Pooh and what the best age for it is, but if you've never read it, I recommend at least borrowing it from the library. I suggest changing the tense of the first chapter (which is written TO Christopher Robin) so it's less confusing for the child, but after that, it's written in third person, which is much easier.

nanaof7 likes this.

SAHM of newborn boy, 2 year old girl, and 4 year old boy. Visit my website: http://researchparent.com
#22 of 49 Old 12-31-2013, 09:35 PM

Old Mother Westwind and the series are great, 5 year old appropriate in nature books.  

Magic Tree House are good for 7-8 and older as far as content goes.  

newmamalizzy and nanaof7 like this.
#23 of 49 Old 01-02-2014, 01:05 PM

I second all Roald Dahl.  My daughter also really liked The Wizard of Oz.

Metreehugger.gif College Literature Professor reading.gif(36) and DH (35) married 7/05, together since 1/99; Mom to two lovely and fierce little girls: DD1 2/06 and, after 18 months TTC (and a couple years NTNP), DD2 born 7/3/12!  Dedicated AP parent who is for selective (most) vaccination.

#24 of 49 Old 01-02-2014, 01:17 PM

This past year we read Charlotte's Web, the Ralph S. Mouse series, Ivy & Bean (by far her favorite series), and Ramona Quimby with our, then, 5-year-old daughter.  This year we're going to start a new series Heidi Heckelbeck.  They're out of print now (you can find used on Amazon), but we were gifted the Donovan Willoughby series and she loves reading those--not quite chapter books but long enough to split over two nights.  I'm debating Peter Pan... maybe I'll hold off a year or two.

#25 of 49 Old 01-02-2014, 02:05 PM

The Wizard of Oz! The original book by L. Frank Baum. We recently read this to my 4 1/2 yr old, and he was mesmerized from the beginning. He followed along so well, and we recapped each chapter the next night before starting again. after we finished the book, we watched some Youtube videos of the songs, then we were able to take him to go see the musical performance, and then watch the movie (sing-along version). It's been such a wonderful way to really immerse him in the literary experience!

#26 of 49 Old 01-02-2014, 03:16 PM

My 4-yr-old also loves chapter books -

She currently loves books by Roald Dahl - especially "The Giraffe, the Pelly and Me"  (which is really more like one longer story, with line-drawn pictures like in chapter books for younger children)

Her brother loved "Charlie and the Chocolate factory" at this age too!

She ADORES the "My Naughty Little Sister" books by Dorothy Edwards - think she identifies with the main character!

These are proper chapter books, with each chapter containing another story about My Naughty Sister's doings.

She is also keen on Rumer Godden's "The Doll's House"  - might be hard to find, though - I'm not sure it's still in print

My other daughter was very keen on "Milly Molly Mandy" at this age - more lovely stories about the lives of little girls in past generations!

#27 of 49 Old 01-02-2014, 03:38 PM

Subbing!  I need more bedtime books, especially for my newly 6 year old son--but most of these do seem too advanced, have so far been on picture books and Curious George...he is stll quite a long ways away from reading.....

#28 of 49 Old 01-02-2014, 04:12 PM

I second 'The Children of Noisy Village' - a huge favorite here! My four-year-old is loving 'Mr. Popper's Penguins', too. Have you read the Brambly Hedge collection? Somewhere between picture and chapter books, but SO well-loved in our house. Enjoy this new stage! Such fun.
swimama likes this.
#29 of 49 Old 01-02-2014, 04:30 PM

I love books like Pooh because they are written for adults, too. Books like Berenstain bears and Dr. Seuss drive me nuts.

Not a chapter book, but nice and small if you are lying beside a small child in bed are the Beatrix Potter books. Some are better than others for 5 year olds and they are charming. Good vocabulary, too, and no "filler." Just straight story.

Rutabaga Stories 1 and 2 are fanciful and fun to read. Mary Poppins. Raggedy Ann. Kids love the magic. Wizard of Oz is too scary for 5 I think.  Uncle Wiggly (which was serialized in the newspaper when I was a child.). They are totally dumb but full of lovable characters. Any danger is quickly averted (in 2 sentences) so no stress, a good thing at bedtime.

Rudyard Kipling's Just So Stories are wonderful. Raold Dahl is great but might be too scary for a 5 year old at bedtime.

The Borrowers, about tiny people who live in the walls. A Treasury of Curious George has 8 stories.

Here's a website that has collected a list from readers. http://sarahjanestudios.com/blog/2010/02/chapter-books-for-the-younger-kids/ Read the comments, too, because people have added some and criticized others.

I loved reading to my kids and now I love reading to my grandkids.

#30 of 49 Old 01-02-2014, 05:37 PM

My little 5 year old loves the "Daisy Dawson" series, "Amelia Bedelia" books, "Judy Moody" books, "Clementine" books, "Anna Hibiscus", the books from the Our Generation girls at Target,  and "Nancy Clancy" or "Fancy Nancy" books.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page