Good-for-you birthday parties - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-20-2014, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Both of my kids have birthdays coming up. I'm trying to plan a party for the younger one that will be pretty healthy. She's been putting on weight and I'd never say anything to her but I'd like to gently move her onto a healthier path. I wish we could do something active but February isn't the best time for an outdoor party, and the weather doesn't even always cooperate for sledding!

I figure I can make a fairly healthy cake. What should I put in goody bags? She wants to put candy in but I don't want that, but the garbage toys that end up in goody bags are horrible for the environment too.

What healthy party suggestions do you have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2014, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Will the party have a theme?
For cake I find that kids don't  need a huge piece.
If you are having food other than cake there are some really fun fruit and veggie tray displays. I love the ones that are in rainbow color order. How about a compromise on the goodie bag? One piece of candy with some other things? Kids love those expanding wash cloths, a fun pen or marker, bubbles, a craft that you do at the party that doubles as the goodie?

Old 01-20-2014, 06:09 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Serve small pieces of cake. Why are birthday slices always so huge?

Skip the goody bags and if you want to do favors, have a selection of unwrapped gifts for kids to pick or choose from. We do little playmobil figures, lego surprise packs, art supplies, etc.

Lots of fruit, healthy muffins, trail mix if you can serve nuts, cheese, seaweed, and pirate booty.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:19 PM

We've been to quite a few parties where instead of goody bags, the parents got the guests a little gift. Basically, take all the money you would have spent on candy and junky toys, and put that into one special gift. It will depend on your theme what that gift is, but it could be a card game or a dress up item or an art/craft kit. If you hit the craft stores when there is a sale, you would be surprised at the little things they offer for as cheap as $1-3. A friend of mine bought some tulle, ribbon, and elastic and sewed a little tutu-style dress up skirt for her daughter's friends (preschool age). If you have any crafting skills like that, you (and maybe your DD) might be able to make something for the guests. We've also been to parties at a ceramics studio, and everyone's favor was a little ceramic item that they got to paint.

It definitely doesn't have to be about candy and plastic toys! Think outside of the box.

As far as the cake...I think it's important to make healthy choices in general, and then occasionally have a treat. I think it is good to learn how to make good choices, but it's not very sustainable to think that someone is never going to have something unhealthy. I'd suggest looking at it from the perspective of "what are you trying to teach her?" Yes, eating healthy and exercise makes your body feel good, but if you sometimes have something unhealthy--especially for a special occasion--that is fine, too. No one needs to have any guilt about an unhealthy piece of cake on your birthday, because you have a good and balanced attitude towards food the rest of the time. You've only given us a little information, but it does worry me about what message you're sending her if you do something different for her cake than you would for anyone else in your family.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I like birthday parties where kids can run ariund and use their energy. We had a swimming party last year for my February kid. This year we plan to go to an indoor playground for his birthday.

As for the cake, I wouldn't do a "healthy" one just because she's puttijg on weight. Let her enjoy herself, her party food won't make or break her weight.

caffix.gif

Old 01-27-2014, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
My daughter also has a February birthday. She's turning seven and wants a roller skating party. Active, and very cheap.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:01 PM

Skating party at an indoor rink.

Bowling party.

I would also skip the healthy cake. Especially if you are not doing healthy cake for the others in the family.

For "loot bags" we bought a small book for all the guests of my DD's parties.

A great loot bag that our DD recently received had a few stickers and a "dog tag" with her name on it. That was awesome because she doesn't have a common name, and so never gets to have pencils or bags or anything with her name on it.

http://www.mabelslabels.com/products/loot-bag-label-combo/

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 01-28-2014, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by colsxjack View Post

Skating party at an indoor rink.
Bowling party.

I would also skip the healthy cake. Especially if you are not doing healthy cake for the others in the family.

For "loot bags" we bought a small book for all the guests of my DD's parties.
A great loot bag that our DD recently received had a few stickers and a "dog tag" with her name on it. That was awesome because she doesn't have a common name, and so never gets to have pencils or bags or anything with her name on it.
http://www.mabelslabels.com/products/loot-bag-label-combo/

Those bag tag/sticker sets are cute, but sooo expensive.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I am subbing to see if any good party favor ideas come up. We're having a Feb bday party too. I have found a Valentine's foam craft and a non specific bead craft at AC Moore that I am planning on getting.

Cheerfulness enables us to remember no problem lasts forever ~ Unknown
Old 02-02-2014, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We rented out 1/2 the gym at our local YMCA for DD's party - set up the volleyball net and they played that for awhile and then we took down the net and they played dodgeball then they made up some other games.  They also had basketball nets if the kids wanted to play.  

Old 02-02-2014, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Our set birthday party for my younger kids for years now has been renting the local gymnastics facility out for two hours. They charge me $70.00 for up to 15 kids, I always pay another 20 to get another coach so I can double the kids. The kids don't have to be gymnasts, they all love jumping on the tramp, diving onto the big mats, etc... Boys and girls, they all have a blast. 

We do a 2-4p m party so I just provide snacks. Fruit, veggies, popcorn, that type of stuff. I don't over board on goodie bags. It is usually an assortment of stuff that Target has in the dollar section along with stickers, fake tattoos, and I buy a few boxes of fruit leathers and put one in each bag instead of candy. Cake is just what ever that child wants. I figure after all that running around, the sugar is a wash. :wink 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

User Tag List