3 (almost 4) yo and constant tantrums! Help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-20-2014, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My youngest child is 3 (will be turning 4 in May) and the past half year or more he has been throwing insane temper tantrums about the most trivial things. I'll give some examples. Earlier today, he, his dad and I were upstairs. He asked to be carried downstairs (this is the first 2 story home we have lived in so he's still a bit afraid of falling). His dad picked him up and by the time we got downstairs he began throwing a fit because I wasn't the one to carry him. He insisted that he go back upstairs so that I could carry him back down. Of course, I don't want to enable this kind of thing so I refused to give in to him. I tried reasoning and asked why it was so important that I carry him down the stairs. I was answered only with kicking, crying and screaming.

If he becomes frustrated with even the smallest thing he will freak out, throw things, bang things on the table and scream. We are at wit's end with this boy. I try talking to him calmly and getting down on his level but the tantrums can last for hours on end.

I never had this issue with my older children. Of course, they threw fits but not like this.

Help!

Mama to DS (3/7/06)om.gif, DSD  hearts.gif(11/17/02), DD (1/16/08 )energy.gif ,  DS2 (5/30/10) sleepytime.gif and Baby Quinn angel.gif (R.I.P 3/22/13)

#2 of 4 Old 01-22-2014, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Oh my! This sounds like my almost 3 year old only he does not tantrum for more than 5 minutes and it still drives me crazy. Ugh! Poor you.
Anyone have any advice for this mama?
#3 of 4 Old 01-28-2014, 04:30 PM

My daughter is the same. She turned 4 a few weeks ago and here's a fun list of things that are driving me to my wits end:

--Refusing to get dressed. Not interested in doing it herself.
--Will only eat food that tastes sugary or salty. Thanks to my lax pregnancy (her little sister is 5mo).
--Will not eat most food I prepare resulting in a LOT of wasted food.
--Throws tantrums over anything really. Loves pitting DH and I against each other.
--Refusing to go potty. Holding it for over 12 hours is something she does regularly

All I can say is have some wine ready. Really. I haven't found anything that works right now. I want this phase to end.

geek.gif Mama + superhero.gifDaddy +energy.gifDD (12/20/09) = heartbeat.gif

Expecting stork-girl.gif #2 in September!

#4 of 4 Old 01-31-2014, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Tilly,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Perhaps it is just a phase. I sure hope so.

His personality is definitely more...intense than that of his siblings, I suppose. It would make sense that with such an intense personality, he would have such intense reactions to things. Maybe I can try to teach him coping techniques. It's still a bit early for that but if I start now he may get the hang of it in a few years.

I feel you on the potty thing. He is just now starting to potty learn. He flat out refused before, asking for a diaper every time he needed to go or purposely peeing on the floor. confused.gif I am also trying to wean him from the breast so that may have some bearing on it. Maybe I should have mentioned that we moved in October. He seemed to adjust well to the new house but maybe with the potty learning, weaning and the move it is just too much change too fast?

Mama to DS (3/7/06)om.gif, DSD  hearts.gif(11/17/02), DD (1/16/08 )energy.gif ,  DS2 (5/30/10) sleepytime.gif and Baby Quinn angel.gif (R.I.P 3/22/13)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page